Our Journey from Debtdom to Freedom

Comments

• Evening all!

Not sure where the last 6 days have gone, it's been a bit of a whirlwind and a spendy one too if I'm completely honest. I've lost my way a little by taking on too much again - something I regularly do which causes me to get too tired and busy to ensure I remain absolutely focussed on the task in hand - clearing all unsecured debt within the next 528 days.

On a more positive front at least I've recognised this and reigned myself in by taking stock tonight rather than ignoring it and not addressing it which always leads to me falling off the proverbial debt wagon.

So to remind myself of what's been going well;
    -all lunches taken to work last week
    -no expensive coffee bought at work
    -mobile charged at work all week
    -3 more items off to eBay and said funds shifted to debt mountain
    -first ever mortgage overpayment made with excess from interest rate reductions

Trying to remain really positive but the downside of having this countdown just ticking away....it doesn't half make you realise just how quickly Feb 2018 will be here ...and its really, really daunting - we can't afford a spendy slip up like the one we had this week - I'm going to forgive myself and move on, but this is last chance saloon - there's absolutely no slack in this rope!

Tomorrows a new day...Onwards and downwards!

Good night all x
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • Morning!

Just a dead quick update whilst on train on the way to work!

Here's Monday's (and Tuesday so far) updates;
    - washing on the line rather than in TD taking advantage of this Indian summer!
    - lunch taken to work
    - returning 2 items of clothing I didn't need but bought last week
    - returning 2 baking items I didn't need but bought last week
    - no expensive coffees bought at work
    - mobile phone charged at work

Feeling a little more in control xx
    £1589.94 cc - DFD 31/12/22; £156,737.24 mortgage free target date 1/10/2026; £158,327.18 Total; Starting debt Jan 2019 £393,068; 60% cleared.
  • Hello!

After a mad busy week and in the midst of another (it's endless at work and on the home front there's just no room to breathe!) were still plugging away at the number 1 priority...but boy is it hard when you've so many balls to juggle all the time!

Here's Monday's (and Tuesday so far) updates;
    - lunch taken to work
    - walked to train station rather than getting the bus
    - no expensive coffees bought at work
    - still under grocery budget of £400 for the month which is a huge achievement for this point in the month cos we love our food and cooking adventurous recipes!
    - gas/Elec switch with estimated saving of £400+ per year

I've also started YNAB planning for next month ... We've big bills for car insurance coming then and I usually start Xmas shopping so it'll be another tough month (aren't they all?!)

Over and out! :)
  • Great work on clearing your debt so far HD :) don't under-estimate the benefits of all the cooking and taking lunches to work you do, it all adds up! I'm loving your day countdown to debt freedom, I can imagine it makes you focus on all the little things that help you reach your goal.

Keep up the great work

Jumblerina xxx
  • Jumblerina wrote: »
    Great work on clearing your debt so far HD :) don't under-estimate the benefits of all the cooking and taking lunches to work you do, it all adds up! I'm loving your day countdown to debt freedom, I can imagine it makes you focus on all the little things that help you reach your goal.

Keep up the great work

Jumblerina xxx

Thanks so much for the encouragement jumblerina! You're absolutely right all the little things add up and it's really hard to remember that when you're face with debt mountain we have to climb cos the numbers are so big!

I'm loving the daily countdown too but my word is it frightening how fast the days fly by! I'm already panicking that we'll soon drop beltow 500 days and be into the 400's! :rotfl:

Thanks again for stopping by,

Hazel x
  • Hello!

Wow life just gets busier and busier no matter how hard I try to make it stand still! Must stop trying to make it stop me thinks and find new ways to "go with the flow"!

Scary September is nearly done with its endless round of birthdays, celebrations and back to school costs! We've come through relatively unscathed I suppose, but there's always room for improvement!

Planning for October is underway and we've chosen 5 MUST DO'S for the month which we (obviously) simply ..MUST DO!;

1. Clear £2033 off unsecured debt
    2. Hit £400 grocery budget (£25.39 over this month but SOO pleased with that because it was £200 more last month)
    3. Find two Sunday's to have quality family time at a lovely NT site
    4. Find one night to have quality mommy and daddy time! Date night!
    5. Declutter our bedroom wardrobes!

Trying to keep it realistic and achievable!

Wish us luck!
  • Omg just got really excited when I remembered that our next overpayment in 4 days time will take us into the 40's and below the 50k mark! Eek!!

Sorry just had to share! Another milestone almost achieved! Yay!
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 September 2016 at 8:32PM
    OMG..I have been missing out on all your news..my loss! Aren't you doing well? Amazing energy..great to read, its just fizzing off the page :D

We have been decluttering too..love it. Love it. I have a goal every month which we usually manage...

Inside a kitchen cupboard (so less public I am afraid :)) we have a picture of a series of bricks - in a wall pattern - where we cross off/score through one brick every month as another portion of our house becomes ours rather than the bank's...if they are really lucky the kids get to cross it off but I usually get in first :D
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning all!

I've been in major planning mode since last week (I'm awfully good at planning but not so great at the execution, hence the stop start, stop start habits :mad:)

But today the Countdown begins..

545 days to go until we achieve debt freedom...:j

Positive Mind, Positive Results.....

I wanted to take stock of what we are doing/have done since 2014 to remind me of the things we do really well and start on a really positive note:

•Never been anything other than totally up to date with all creditors
    •All unsecured debt at 0%
    •Almost 1/3 of our unsecured debt repaid
    •We have a £500 emergency fund
    •Spending ceased on credit cards 1/9/14
    •YNAB used for every spend no matter how small every day
    •Interest rates are at a historic low meaning we repay quicker
    •We have lots of disposable income to throw at debt
    •Our car is now owned outright - no expensive car payments

I've written these things down to keep coming back to when I get low or have a bad day over the next 545, we've achieved so much and we mustn't forget that!

Off to work now - will stop by later and start to jot down what we've been planning over the last week..

:)

Love this. :T:T:T
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • hazeldreams
    hazeldreams Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2016 at 8:18AM
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    OMG..I have been missing out on all your news..my loss! Aren't you doing well? Amazing energy..great to read, its just fizzing off the page :D

We have been decluttering too..love it. Love it. I have a goal every month which we usually manage...

Inside a kitchen cupboard (so less public I am afraid :)) we have a picture of a series of bricks - in a wall pattern - where we cross off/score through one brick every month as another portion of our house becomes ours rather than the bank's...if they are really lucky the kids get to cross it off but I usually get in first :D

Aww thanks brizzle! The words of encouragement mean so much especially coming from you with all you've achieved! I think the urgency around the timeframe left has made a real difference ...I've always been a last minute Larry! :rotfl: That coupled with the fact I've learnt to better deal with the balance between wanting the debt gone yesterday (which leads to me eventually throwing my hands in air and throwing in the towel!) and realistic goal setting. Feb 2018 is still a huge stretch target but I can't (and won't) budge from that date despite the balance still outstanding!

Love your wall/brick countdown it's perfect for clearing the mortgage! Will definitely borrow that idea when the debt is gone and we can move onto the mortgage!

I still refer to Marie Kondos book you so kindly shared! Although I must confess I can never ever find the time to do the whole declutter in one fell swoop which appears to be what keeps others successful at maintaining a clutter free lifestyle! Btw, happy to return the book anytime just let me know if you need it back xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure