No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2014

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello again!

Oh yeah, two more UUs: 1 x HM soap (rather lovely texture if I do say so myself!) and a Model's Own mascara that I lost but it was at the end of its life, anyway. It was given away with some magazine last year...it wasn't that good I cracked open another I bought at a good price at the same time.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Congratulations on your graduation, InaPickle :T You make some excellent points regarding just how long it can take to UU a product, and just how much money we can (and probably have :o) waste(d) on products when they're stacked floor to ceiling in our own homes. I feel I am making good progress in some areas and doing a rubbish job in others :o but every OUT is progress and you're a shining example that if we stick with it, we'll get there in the end.

Well done! _party_
  • Ooh firstly CONGRATULATIONS INAPICKLE!! :beer::beer::j:j:A

Seriously, I have a long way to go to be where you are. Terrible grammar but you get the sentiment!

I've been looking back through my own posts to date the beginning of my stash list Turns out it's form 31/8/13 so I have 200 UUs in 386 days. With a net decrease of 65 items in those 12 months, I will only be here for 5 years or so!!

Time to pull back on the purchases wherever possible. As it's a year on I think I'll post up my stash list to give myself a push.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    InaPickle wrote: »
    Hello again!

Oh yeah, two more UUs: 1 x HM soap (rather lovely texture if I do say so myself!) and a Model's Own mascara that I lost but it was at the end of its life, anyway. It was given away with some magazine last year...it wasn't that good I cracked open another I bought at a good price at the same time.

Hi InaPickle

How do you make your homemade soap? I'd love to make my own.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    FizzWhizz wrote: »
    Congratulations on your graduation, InaPickle :T You make some excellent points regarding just how long it can take to UU a product, and just how much money we can (and probably have :o) waste(d) on products when they're stacked floor to ceiling in our own homes. I feel I am making good progress in some areas and doing a rubbish job in others :o but every OUT is progress and you're a shining example that if we stick with it, we'll get there in the end.

Well done! _party_
    Ooh firstly CONGRATULATIONS INAPICKLE!! :beer::beer::j:j:A

Seriously, I have a long way to go to be where you are. Terrible grammar but you get the sentiment!

I've been looking back through my own posts to date the beginning of my stash list Turns out it's form 31/8/13 so I have 200 UUs in 386 days. With a net decrease of 65 items in those 12 months, I will only be here for 5 years or so!!

Time to pull back on the purchases wherever possible. As it's a year on I think I'll post up my stash list to give myself a push.

Thanks, ladies! :D

FizzWhizz: I know *EXACTLY* what you mean about making progress in some areas and not in others: I would have graduated ages ago if it wasn't for the body moisturisers! Shower gels, shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes and deodarants I seem to go through with no problem - probably as they are everyday stuff, but other things like moisturisers, perfumes take a lot longer. Keep going - you WILL get there!

Roguey: Blimey - that's a lot of UUs! I never know how you guys get through products so fast! I take ages to get through one pot of moisturiser or a toothpaste or whatever. Perhaps I'm just too mean to lavish them on! ;) It sound like you are doing well to me. (P.S. How is your mum? Sorry if you have mentioned earlier on in the thread, but there is just *toooooo* must to catch up with!)

Oh yes, and one other thing I forgot to mention that I found helped: only use one of something at a time if possible. I know a lot of people have multiple things on the go like shower gels and perfumes etc., but if you can reduce how many you use of each at once, you will get through them much more quickly. I have 2 perfumes on the go (1 everyday, 1 evening) and I try to have 1 shower gel and 1 body scrub on the go. Seems to do the trick! ;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    UU -

Gliss Volume Shampoo - WMBA, this was ok, bought for £1 in Home Bargains. Considering buying the Kerastase Densifique shampoo that I really like or not...

Superdrug Oil Balancing facial wash - WNBA. This was a clearance aisle buy, think it was 20p! Repurposed as shower gel these last few days, as I have GRADUATED in shower gels!

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • Congratulations InaPickle, feels great doesn't it:T:T Although I did go a little over board in the Christmas sales...hence my new stash but I'm not buying and I didn't spend that much although its my Birthday soon and I am asking for a couple of toiletry related items but mostly expensive things like Neal's Yard that I probably wouldn't buy myself.

UU Lush Cerldwen’s cauldron luxury bath melt- First time I've had one of those, very pleasant but I think nothing will ease the aching I'm feeling after a total weekend on the go 2 days gardening and gym sessions.
    Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • Babafette
    Babafette Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Congratulations and well done on your graduation InaPickle, I've added you to the graduates list on the first page. :D
    InaPickle wrote: »
    Other lessons learned included realising how long it actually takes to use up one beauty product the whole way through. A small bottle of Simple cleanser that took about 4 months to use up even being used twice a day taught me that.
    This is so true, I can't believe how long everything in my stash seems to be lasting. A shampoo lasts me months even though I have long hair and wash it several times a week, and a mini bottle of shower gel seems to go on for ages when I use it with my body polisher.

In an ideal world I would just concentrate on using up one product at a time, but I find I get bored with using the same thing after a while and I simply have to switch to something different. My other issue is that I am usually too lazy to use body moisturiser after my shower, I just want to get dressed. I really must try harder though. :o
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
  • :j:j:j CONGRATULATIONS INAPICKLE!!! :j:j:j

That is amazing news!

Your post was really interesting as well :). I'm shocked at how long it takes to use things up but I still get tempted by things...It's wonderful that you have your own space and that you've decluttered in general. I know that I need to do the same but only seem to be able to do it a little bit at a time.

Babafette wrote: »
    In an ideal world I would just concentrate on using up one product at a time, but I find I get bored with using the same thing after a while and I simply have to switch to something different. My other issue is that I am usually too lazy to use body moisturiser after my shower, I just want to get dressed. I really must try harder though. :o

Babafette - I'm just the same! I still feel like I need 'options' but at least I am getting through things, even if it's a little slower this way. :o

No used ups from me. I have an IN of Neal's Yard Soothing Bath Foam from my Mum - a very lovely and completely unexpected present :D I don't think that I'm going to buy bubble bath with SLS in any more. I'm pretty much going to switch over to using bath oil (homemade, once I've UU the premade ones that I have) as I think it's more gentle for my skin.

Roguey - the Neom Real Luxury scent is my absolute favourite! The Real Luxury body lotion will be a wishlist item once I'm through my body lotions :) I think you're doing really well with your UUs by the way. I daren't do a full count of things but I'm sure I'm well over 300 items. I think it's great to have an item in mind to celebrate a big milestone with. I bought a bottle of Ellie Saab perfume once I hit my first 100 UUs (back when I first started on the challenge. I lost that list when my old computer died so started again).

xxx Keep going, everyone! xxx
  • trudij
    trudij Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done pickle - super proud of you!!!!

Isn't it weird how amazing it makes you feel when you suddenly realise you're finally on top of things??!! ��������
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure