New bike is too easy to pedal - something not right?

Comments

• Have you tried toe'in your brake pads? this helped my old bike many moons ago.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    let the tyres down that will make it harder to ride (insert tounge in cheek smiley here)
  • If you've got a smartphone, download one of the cycling apps (Strava, Cyclemeter, etc) that can record your ride. Then see what average speed you're doing. If you're not breaking a sweat, you may not be going very fast...

Any bike (even one with easy gearing) can get you fit. You'll just have to pedal faster. :p It's the legs spinning round that gets the heartrate up. Harder gears just helps with building your thigh muscles.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stava is an app that times you against other people who do the same route.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Don't worry about it! If the bike is enjoyable to ride you're much more likely to do so, and your fitness will improve over time. This style of bike is designed to be fairly easy to ride - it isn't built for speed but for comfort and practicality. Arriving at your destination hot and sweaty is something that puts many people off cycling, so enjoy it and use it as much as you can. You could put a pannier rack on the bike and use it for shopping trips as well as commuting.

Congratulations on making a great change. :-)
    It's only numbers.
  • 27col wrote: »
    I would have thought that a bike that was easy to pedal was a distinct advantage.
    I suppose that you could always adjust your brakes so that they are rubbing a bit.

Hahaha........
    You should be on the stage mate !!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Don't worry about it! If the bike is enjoyable to ride you're much more likely to do so, and your fitness will improve over time. This style of bike is designed to be fairly easy to ride - it isn't built for speed but for comfort and practicality. Arriving at your destination hot and sweaty is something that puts many people off cycling, so enjoy it and use it as much as you can. You could put a pannier rack on the bike and use it for shopping trips as well as commuting.

Congratulations on making a great change. :-)

I agree with the sentiment in this post; it doesn't always have to be about performance.

What was Chris Boardman saying the other day at the end of the London Bike event,something along the lines that his passion is to promote cycling as just another form of transport, albeit a bloody good one. Some thing that can be done in ordinary clothing by ordinary people. I paraphrase.

Edit:
    I found copied down what he said on the channel4 cycle show programme (19thAug2014) :

"If I have a soapbox, this is it"

"It's just a bloody good tool for getting around, for normal people, in normal clothes doing normal things"

"First and foremost transport, after that to explore, after that to race, all those things are great, but for me first and foremost I'd just like to see it as a transport tool."
  • You could put a pannier rack on the bike and use it for shopping trips as well as commuting.

If you fill the panniers with half a hundredweight of house bricks, that'll make it harder to pedal :D
  • If you fill the panniers with half a hundredweight of house bricks, that'll make it harder to pedal :D

Sort of. A fully-laden bike is harder to start moving and harder to get up hills, but once going on the flat the weight makes very little difference (although cornering gets 'interesting' if the weight shifts, or is unbalanced). It's one of the many beauties of the machine.
    It's only numbers.
  • Thanks all :)

Haven't even got a pannier rack on it. I ordered one. They fitted one.

And then when they came to fit the bike to me, the pannier rack stopped the saddle from going down low enough (another disadvantage of being vertically challenged). They've had to order me an extension thingy type thing to push the pannier rack back far enough so allow the saddle to be at its lowest point.

anyway, I will take the advice on board (all apart from the stocking the pannier bags (when I get them) with housebricks :p ) and just enjoy being out on it.

Mind you - we are about to have an extension built - maybe picking up a few bricks a day on my way home could reduce the cost of our build ;):D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure