PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Milk

Comments

• Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    I didn't think you could defrost things like milk by warming them? Doesn't it make bacteria breed or something?

I always find it quicker to put the bottle in a sink of cold water. Strange but true!
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A mile isn't exactly far to walk to the shops if you're that desparate for milk, the exercise is good for you too...
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    A mile isn't exactly far to walk to the shops if you're that desparate for milk, the exercise is good for you too...

Ooooh...yessir! :-/
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    What Squidgy says about bacteria makes sense but I use warm water if we need milk quickly. I stand the catron in hot water for a few minutes and then shake. Repeat this a few times then pour out defrosted milk into jug.

Keep doing this until the whole lot is done. Don't be tempted to use the defrosted milk and leave the rest - the last thing to be defrosted is water. You'll end up with a cup of coffee and a bottle of watery milk!
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I don't freeze milk but more than once first thing  in the morning I have been caught out with the milk having gone oif for my essential first cup of tea with break fast.. I decided I would never be caught short again so I now keep a tin of powdered milk  (the supermakert equivalent of Marvel) and it is OK with tea as an emergency stopgap  until can get to the corner shop later , to avoid drinking black tea..
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I saw a very expensive gadget advertised once for speeding up defrosting but when I looked at it it just seemed to depend on having a black surface which absorbs heat. So I went home and dug out a tefal coated roasting tin which is black inside and i put anything I want to defrost in there and stand the tin on a wire cake cooling rack so that the cold air can drain away.

It makes a big difference - i tested it with two frozen chicken portions which I took out of the freezer at the same time. The one which was on the black surface defrosted much quicker
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • My mum has defrosted her milk in the microwave on the lowest setting for many years without problems of separation. She doesn't do it 'all the way' though - only part way and then leaves it in the fridge.
    :love: I :heart2: Boots :love:
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I often defrost milk in the microwave and have not had any problems. I usually have the 4 litre cartons now. I put them on full power for 3 mins, then take out, shake put in and give it full power bursts for a coulpe of mins. When it starts to defrost, I pour the liquid into a bowl so I'm only defrosting the iced bit. Then I pour it all back into the carton and give it a good shake. For 2 litre cartons, I give it 2 mins to start with.

Saying that, Ive remembered and there's one on the draining board ready for tomorrow. Oh, and I freeze all types of milk - I only drink skimmed and kids are on semi. :D
  • My friend lives on her own, she doesnt drink much milk but likes the occasional cuppa. So she was finding her pint of milk would go off before she had used it.
    Then she had the bright idea of freezing it in an ice cube tray!! One or two lumps was just enough for one cuppa!!!
  • mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    I found that when I froze cheddar cheese it went very crumbly after defrosting.
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure