2014 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• evuka wrote: »
    How come the delivery cost so much? Could you perhaps try another slot that is cheaper? When I order from S's they usually have slots for 2.99-3.99...

It may also be worth looking at a different delivery/supermarket. Ocado has very cheap delivery (often free or 99p), and tesco do a 'bulk buy' of prepaid delivery slots… thats a lot of money otherwise. Alternatively, buy an extra meal each week for a few weeks then don't do a weekly shop one week. Save £7 straightaway!
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    judi24 wrote: »
    just a quick question - I am going to sort my fridge today and prep and freeze any leftovers I can - what would the best way to freeze cooked meat - I did roasts for new year and have pork ham and beef left over - at the moment it is in a chunk but wondererd if I should slice it and freeze or freeze as chunks - the other thing is I have some sprouts - do i cook and freeze or freeze raw?

going to look for a parsnip soup recipe and make that, also notices I have some leeks left in the garden that look like they could be pulled and used for potato and leek soup - I like the idea of freezing soup in bags in tubs to make room - my freezers are rammed!

How about parsnip and curry soup? Parsnips, potatoes, curry powder and veg stock. DD loves it
  • Please count me in. Ive been doing not too bad or so I thought until credit card bill came & I realised that yes Ive cleared one credit card my store card & my overdraft, all in the last twelve months. But by taking my finger off the button Ive added to my one remaining card in the last couple of months. Having received two diaries this year one is definitely going to put Bridget Jones to shame with the lists I intend to keep!
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It may also be worth looking at a different delivery/supermarket. Ocado has very cheap delivery (often free or 99p), and tesco do a 'bulk buy' of prepaid delivery slots… thats a lot of money otherwise. Alternatively, buy an extra meal each week for a few weeks then don't do a weekly shop one week. Save £7 straightaway!

I do some very big shops online, for me anyway. I always opt for the cheapest delivery but then I have only had one failed delivery and they are always items that can sit in the cupboards or freezer for months. I get fresh stuff locally and walk to get it. If you are doing regular shops get a delivery saver deal like Mr T's delivery saver.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone, still not spent anything so far this year so nsd 3 for me, feel very tempted to buy some cheap goodies for pressies but Im determined to make small gifts instead.

Cold damp and dark here, but at least it wont flood, I live on a steep hill so if I get flooded GB is in a lot of trouble!!lol Hope everyone if safe and sound as this dreadful weather continues.

Heating not on yet but will put it on for a couple of hours later to keep the house feeling dry and not damp, at work all weekend and Monday to, but I have my dinners and lunches sorted so organised

Keep up the good work fellow frugallers

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    3 Nsd's out of the last 4 :j, money added to the pot and eating from stock mainly ( small top up yesterday). 20 items on fleabay...slowly but surely.... Lovely aroma of potato hash coming from the kitchen. Feeling very positive today, I think the de-cluttering is helping.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • ellie-g wrote: »
    Hi Dollydaydream, I was very intrigued to see your post, I too want to retire this year (in Spring). Do you feel confident that you will be able to make it work on £600 per month? Are you taking early retirement? Hope you don't mind me asking-I am just very interested... Thanks
    Hi Ellie, yes I am taking early retirement, no state [FONT=&quot]pension till I am 66 so will have 7 years to wait but have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to teach for that long. Additionally my own [/FONT][FONT=&quot]parents died early and I have decided that time with my grandchildren now is more im[/FONT][FONT=&quot]portant that relative riches. I am reasonably sure that I can manage on £600 because that is what I have co incidently been managing on for several years once I have [/FONT][FONT=&quot]paid out for my mortgage and other debts. The debts are now cleared and I aim to save that money toward a safety net for the end of the year. That said, the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]plan is to sell the house and downsize giving me an extra sum to have treats as and when. Till I sell the house I intend to do some su[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ply to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]pay the mortgage each month, but will eat into my lum[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p sum if I have to.[/FONT]
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Signing up for my first allotment next week, hoping it will provide me with something to occupy my mind and body and keep me out of the shops, as well as maybe actually providing a source of food. Can walk there easily in 20 mins, cycle in half that.

Need to find some free advice on where to start.

Same here sazzie, finally got handed our allotment in September and it was an overgrown mess. Council stripped it back but we had to turn the soil over....managed to do half then got bored :D haven't been back since. I don't know the first thing about gardening so looking forward to the challenge but don't have a clue where to start.
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    HI Dollydaydream, I am in a similar position - my job is full-on and very stressful (I can't say what it is because not many people do it :o) and I want to spend time with my grandchildren instead of working all hours till I die! OH and I have also paid off debts and mortgage, and put by a savings cushion (we don't intend to downsize - we only have a little terraced house anyway). I am therefore intending to take early retirement April/ May time. OH has already done this, and we both have not very lucrative, very small businesses. I may look for something part time, but am not too bothered if nothing comes up for a while!

In the meantime, all hell is about to be let loose at work, and this looks like continuing up till I plan to leave. I will be thankful to hand over to an eager, younger pair of hands. I have come to the conclusion I am no longer ambitious!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Ooooh, more early-retirees!

I'm intending to wait until next year, but I like hearing about peoples plans.

I was at work today and yesterday - it was one of those rare times in my office, reasonably quiet and a comfortable amount of work. If it was like that more often, I could probably go on for longer.... but most of the time it's manic, with no time to think. I think you get to a point in life where you think enough is enough, and you feel you have to make exit plans.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family