Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > How do I find out if I can connect to mains gas (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I find out if I can connect to mains gas
Closed Thread
Views: 50,889
# 1
TBeckett100
Old 13-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default How do I find out if I can connect to mains gas

I am buying a house with no mains gas, how do i find out whether i can connect to a supply in my area?
# 2
adr0ck
Old 13-03-2008, 11:38 PM

phone national grid 0845 605 6677
# 3
SquatNow
Old 13-03-2008, 11:50 PM

Have the houses either side got mains gas? Often a good guide!

If they have then you should be able to, but if you have no exising pipes I doubt it would be cheap as they will have to run pipes from the road to your house... depending on how far from the road your house is.
Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
# 4
TBeckett100
Old 14-03-2008, 12:11 AM

its on the road. i will call them tomorrow
# 5
SquatNow
Old 14-03-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeckett100 View Post
its on the road. i will call them tomorrow
Has next door both side got gas?

Are you up a track or something?

If so, have ANY of the houses further up the track from you got gas?
Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
# 6
Canucklehead
Old 14-03-2008, 8:07 AM

Good morning: It depends on where you live in the UK... for example, Southern Gas covers down here in Kent and has an online facility to request a connection (as do others) http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/A.../distribution/

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
# 7
chappers
Old 14-03-2008, 8:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Jjust had a quote for two new conections and to move one connection 3 feet with me fitting all the boxes and excavating to the boundary, admittedly one does have to go right across a road to the pavement on the other side.....2176 +VAT
# 8
Lotus-eater
Old 14-03-2008, 8:30 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ouch, are we going to welcome you to the oil heating club, or are you going to bite the pillow?
# 9
chriserenity
Old 14-03-2008, 10:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus-eater View Post
Ouch, are we going to welcome you to the oil heating club, or are you going to bite the pillow?
Oil heating?! I wouldn't recommend it - oil prices are going to skyrocket in the near future. I would look into renewables as a more cost effective long term option.

What are the existing heating arrangements?
Happy to help with HIPs and EPCs
# 10
chappers
Old 14-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Its a single house going to be split into three so will just have to bite the bullet and pay it.I reckon it will take two guys a day to do the lot plus an hour for two guys to come along and reinstate the road,plus the 10 mins the surveyor was there, probably about 200 in materials , by my reckoning thats about 1500 in administration.
# 11
Gorgeous George
Old 14-03-2008, 10:57 AM

When I moved to my last home I had gas fitted - eventually.

Before I made an offer I rang BG who advised that a new supply would cost 170. When I moved in, the quote was 1200!

I ordered my gas fire and new fireplace anyway then challenged the price. I offrered to ask my neighbours if they wanted gas and was told that this should mean a better deal. Some neighbours were interested and, after some chasing, Transco quoted me 179. I paid by return of mail.

My neighbours were less fortunate with only one getting a quote of 179. The others ranged from 2K to 3K! I have no idea how they put their quotes together :confused:

A few weeks later I arrived to do some more decorating (I was living in rented) to find holes everywhere. They brought the gas from another street and all for 179.

Result!

GG
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
# 12
irnbru
Old 14-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
My neighbours were less fortunate with only one getting a quote of 179. The others ranged from 2K to 3K! I have no idea how they put their quotes together :confused:
I got a quote for 10K, neighbour next door but one has gas. The reason given was the diameter of the supply pipe (comming from the main road) was insufficient and would have to be re-laid.
# 13
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 14-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriserenity View Post
Oil heating?! I wouldn't recommend it - oil prices are going to skyrocket in the near future. I would look into renewables as a more cost effective long term option.
To be honest, all fuel prices are on the increase.

Where oil leads, other fuels tend to follow.

Are renewables actually feasible for the sole source of power? Or just as a supplement?
Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
# 14
TBeckett100
Old 14-03-2008, 1:07 PM

I shall rever to burning the electric bills from the storage heater to keep warm
# 15
chriserenity
Old 14-03-2008, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debt_Free_Chick View Post
To be honest, all fuel prices are on the increase.

Where oil leads, other fuels tend to follow.

Are renewables actually feasible for the sole source of power? Or just as a supplement?
I completely agree. Peak gas isn't that far away nor is peak nuclear for that matter which makes the 'nuclear alternative' argument a bit silly in my book! I think they are feasable as a sole alternative yes but one renewable isn't apropriate for all kinds of site. E.g. one of my colleagues inspected a victorian terraced property last month which had been converted to underfloor heating and utilised a ground source heat pump with the bore hole for the heat exchange pipes drilled vertically in the small front garden. They had a brand new solar hot water system which met 80% of their hot water needs and an immersion as backup.

Apparently they were trying to get some thin film flexible indirect sunlight (daylight not sunlight) solar PV panels from America to install alongside the solar hot water array to generate electricity to power the two biggest electric users in the house (the heat pump and the fridge). All A rated electric appliances. They did look at getting a domestic wind turbine but the area was too built up meaning turbulence would have been a problem.

All this was great but they had neglected to insulate the loft and put insulation on their walls which was costing them a fortune. Its amazing what some people prioritise when 'greening' their houses. If I had a penny for the houses I'd inspected with double glazing but no additional loft insulation I'd have enough dough to bake some bread! Insulate first then think about renewables people!!!

Personally I would hold off getting a solar PV system until the price comes down but solar hot water is a great investment. You can get a whopping big grant from the LCBP and there are loads of companies that offer to install it now. Evacuated tubes get good reviews.

If I had just bought a house there is NO way I'd spend money on mains gas or any other non-renewable system if I planned to live there for more than 30 years!
The Following User Says Thank You to chriserenity For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
adr0ck
Old 14-03-2008, 3:04 PM

air source heat pump

(basically an air conditioning unit in reverse)

this is the way all new builds will be going in a few years time

gledhill & Mitubishi's product is on the market now

worcester bosch's is coming in the summer

Ferroli's @ about the same time

if you have a large garden (and a bit more cash) then go for a ground source heat pump (but you need a large garden) (you can dig down....but then costs rocket)

solar panels are good they work very well and save you between £50 & £100 a year heating costs ....therefore imo they are not worth it

ashp is about the same running costs as mains gas (so therefore a lot cheaper than lpg & oil)

the downside of ashp is the noise (like a washing machine on spin) therefore you need to house it away from windows (and your neighbours)
# 17
chriserenity
Old 14-03-2008, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

About time too - they've been around for ages! But then this historically wouldn't be the first time a clean and more efficient technology was displaced by a second best alternative.

Look what happened with the automotive industry.
# 18
lucysettle
Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just read that there are grants to help with connection costs for people living within the 20% of the UK classed as deprived areas for gas supply.

How can I find out which areas those are???
Closed Thread