Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > 26" Mens Mountain Bike 49.99 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
26" Mens Mountain Bike 49.99
Closed Thread
Views: 31,581
# 1
WOW Factor 0
gw9781
Old 24-09-2005, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile 26" Mens Mountain Bike 49.99

Check this out @ Toys R Us standard bike at excellent price in my opinion.....

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.asp...chWheel/702226
Don't hate the playa hate the game.........

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 27-09-2005 at 11:36 AM.
# 2
Merlin_BikeCharity
Old 28-09-2005, 4:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cheap Bike often = False Economy

Hi folks

Sure you can buy a mountain bike for silly money, the problem is that you're probably not doing yourself any favours.

Soft metal = will wear out quickly
No mudguards = wet !!!!
Less efficient ride = use less often
Often not put together properly = trip to bike shop =

Folk in the know that I've spoken to say 200-250 is bottom end for new bikes.

A GREAT idea is to buy second hand, you could get a great bike which cost 400 new for say 50.
Also used bikes get stolen less :~)

Bikes are an AMAZING way to save money, save time, and get fit! With Peak Oil coming (www.odac-info.org/overview/overview.htm), will be critical.

Cheers

Merlin

PS, thanks for supporting (via MSE charity votes) www.re-cycle.org
Bicycle Aid for Africa

www.re-cycle.org

MANY THANKS to all who vote for Re~Cycle in the MSE charity money votes, its a HUGE help!

Last edited by Merlin_BikeCharity; 28-09-2005 at 4:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merlin_BikeCharity For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dsb66
Old 28-09-2005, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sterling house 39.00

http://www.sterlinghouse.co.uk/Produ...to/50.00/text/

I just bought the 2 for 99.00 included lights helmet ect. Well worth a look!
# 4
Curly_Jones
Old 28-09-2005, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up

I have had my mountain bike from Sterling House for 2 years now and have never had a minutes problem with it. I did take the precaution of having it checked out by my local bike shop after I had put it together and it was fine.

Please be aware that these bikes are basic, they do not come with mud guards or back parcel shelves, but they are sturdy and have 18 gears.

Mine was 39.99 2 years ago but they are now offering a bogof deal which includes helmets and other extras as dsb66 says above.
# 5
sme445
Old 28-09-2005, 7:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Bike defo the way forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_BikeCharity
Hi folks
Bikes are an AMAZING way to save money, save time, and get fit! With Peak Oil coming (www.odac-info.org/overview/overview.htm), will be critical.
Great to see someone mentioning Peak oil in a post. Biking is the way forward, we really need to get real and cut back on unecessary car journeys. Cars are set to become incredibly expensive to run as the world realises demand is about to outsrip supply, followed soon by contracting supply due to peak oil.
# 6
EvilMonkey
Old 28-09-2005, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I agree with Merlin unreservedly about the quality of sub 100 no-name bikes.

Curly may have a good one, but in general, there bad bikes, made of bad components and put together badly. On the plus side, you're only wasting 50....

PLEASE look around for a second hand one. As mentioned you can pick up a decent one for under 100 easily...

E.M.
# 7
misterthrifty
Old 28-09-2005, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you do decide to buy a second hand please take some time to establish correct ownership. It may appear good value but one persons bargain can be anothers nicked pride and joy!

Mr T
# 8
RedOnRed
Old 28-09-2005, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't expect to be able to go up any mountains on a bike costing fifty quid and especially not off road.

You get what you pay for. These are imitation "mountain bikes" and shouldn't really labelled as one.
# 9
I told you so
Old 28-09-2005, 9:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If you consider a Lada as a great bargain for a car then you will get full satisfaction out of a 39 bike. Just pray the fork won't fail the moment you roll down that hill at 20+ mph.

I would regard a bicycle as one of the few purchases where material failure could result in serious injury or worse, hence I'd like to know that the manufacturer has NOT been skimpy with the components. If you want a bike bargain Gordon Brown will give you a decent bike of your choice for almost half-price:

http://www.booost.uk.com/

This is a poorly publicized tax-saving scheme for employees, where the bike is paid-off by a salary sacrifice so you dont pay income tax or NI on the value of the purchase. The same scheme also buys tax-free computers, but requires employers to sign up to it.
# 10
photome
Old 29-09-2005, 7:05 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey
I agree with Merlin unreservedly about the quality of sub 100 no-name bikes.

Curly may have a good one, but in general, there bad bikes, made of bad components and put together badly. On the plus side, you're only wasting 50....

PLEASE look around for a second hand one. As mentioned you can pick up a decent one for under 100 easily...

E.M.

how about a RALEIGH...i thought they were a "name" and halfords have a raleigh mountain bike for 79.99
# 11
EvilMonkey
Old 29-09-2005, 7:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The booost scheme thing is one of those really wasted opportunities, it sounds so good in principle "get a bike around half price, save tax" but when you read into it, its really quite complex and as you mention must be led from a company perspective (IE your COMPANY has to sign up and administer it). By their own admission they aren't set up to deal with companies with less than 100 employees, hence excluding an awful lot of people.... Hopefully they'll take a look at the scheme and find some way to open it up to everyone.... (But worth trying to see if your companies signed up or is willing to!)

Photome,
Well I've not seen that specific bike so its hard to comment, but you'd hope raleigh haven't completely gone to the dark side (they rather tainted their good name in the 80's / 90's, but are trying to rediscover their values....). I'd probably still avoid it (unless it was a 200 reduced to..) as there's so many parts to a bike you'd have to skimp on to get one that cheap....

E.M.
# 12
misterthrifty
Old 29-09-2005, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by photome
how about a RALEIGH...i thought they were a "name" and halfords have a raleigh mountain bike for 79.99

Unfortunately Raleigh don't make bikes any more, they just buy in cheap far east stuff and tinker with it over here. If you plan to use a cheap bike to ride down to the newsagents a couple of times a week you should have no problem, but any more than that you really do have to pay for more quality or it will let you down.

Mr T
# 13
EvilMonkey
Old 29-09-2005, 2:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterthrifty
Unfortunately Raleigh don't make bikes any more, they just buy in cheap far east stuff and tinker with it over here.
Mr T
I thought they'd stopped that now? When I first looked into buying a bike, my local place told me they'd started to regain a bit of control and produce some decent stuff.... This was a while back so market forces may have forced them down the "above all else make it CHEAP" road again (a true shame if it has...)

E.M.
# 14
ophelia generous
Old 30-08-2010, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default reply

it is good to buy second hand bikes...but just make sure the the brakes etc are working...but as far as i am concern it is more good if you buy brand new...if you are having a problem on money,,go for secondhand,not just a secondhand but a good and better secondhand.
# 15
ICV
Old 30-08-2010, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Peak Oil is a myth designed to push up the price of crude and increase oil company profits you fools.
# 16
thetartanman
Old 02-09-2010, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Peak oil con

Type "gull island" into Google and see how close to peak oil we are.
# 17
moneysavingfamilycomp
Old 21-11-2010, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi just a word of caution please check carefully when buying second hand bikes my sons bike was stolen on friday although it was fastened with a D-ring type bike lock and we are pretty sure it will be sold by some scum people wanting money for xmas. basically police agree with us and have told us very little chance of finding it. we are now looking for a good quality but reasonably priced replacement for him. however im in two minds firstly i dont want to pay too much incase the same thing happens again but im also dubious of buying secong hand incase we are buying stolen goods.
i find a cup of tea can solve most problems
but alcohol solves them all
first blue baby moneysaver 09/05/1993
pink baby moneysaver born 30/07/2011
blue baby moneysaver born 28/09/2012
Closed Thread