IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
slow cooker curry
Views: 27,003
# 1
r.mac
Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default slow cooker curry

Morning,

I have decided that I fancy curry at the weekend. As I have been very naughty and not used my slow cooker ina ges, I thought that I could make a curry in that. The idea being it's almost like a take-away as I just start it in the morning before work and it's ready when I get home - I just have rice to make!

I have read the slow cooker recipes and tips thread but still have a question.

Do I have to quickly fry the spices before putting in the slow cooker (probably at same time as I seal the meat) with the meat, veg and tomatoes or can they go straight in?:confused:

What do you all recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aless02 View Post
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
rsbystry
Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I suspect that frying the spices will bring out more of the aroma and flavours and since you are sealing the meat any way I would add the spices to the meat. Remember to rinse the frying pan and add the rinse to the slow cooker. Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to rsbystry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
r.mac
Old 11-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Never thought of that, thanks!

sorry to sound stupid - do you mean rinse with a little bit of water? would temperature make a difference?
Quote:
# 4
squeaky
Old 11-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Be careful about adding water to a hot pan that has oil in it - it can spit or even catch fire!

Wait for the pan to cool - you can be prepping other things for the pot, for example, and add water then. Cold is fine, hot is better if you want to help give your slow cooker a good start.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
lipidicman
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 AM

I was under the impression that frying is essential for the spices. I believe that it can be harmful if they are only cooked at a simmering temperature - can anyone clarify this?
# 6
squeaky
Old 11-08-2005, 11:23 AM

Never heard that one before. Hmm... he sez, off to see just how well he can drive search engines these days,,,

Edit: I got just one hit with "frying spices"+harmful
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Last edited by squeaky; 11-08-2005 at 11:26 AM.
# 7
r.mac
Old 15-08-2005, 9:49 AM

hiya

just wanted to say thanks for your tips. I made the curry on Saturday. When I got up I browned the meat (scotch beef chunks) with onions and a range of spices - i just threw some in. I think i used tumeric, cumin, ginger, corriander and chilli. I deglazed the pan with some hot water after the pan had cooled (squeaky )

after about 5 mins I added this to the slow cooker with a tin of chopped tomatoes and let it cook for about 9 hours! I had to add some cornflour to thicken at the end. It was really really yummy.

thanks for your tips again.
Quote:
# 8
squeaky
Old 15-08-2005, 9:56 AM

You're welcome

# 9
z1000000
Old 15-08-2005, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Talking of Curry, and Moneysaving, this thread reminded me of something I read many moons ago. If you have the inlaws coming, and don't wish to spend your hard earned money feeding them, you cook up something called a "Furry Curry".

All you do is search around your streets for some road kill, then cut off the bad bits, soak it in salt water to clean it up, then cook up a nice curry with it. If it's particualy rotten meat or been hit by a truck so it's a bit squishy, just add extra spices to heat it up.

Even for the delicate, there is normally plenty of good pheasant or rabbit, just waiting to be picked up on our roads. But if you aren't so choosy, or it's for the hated mother in law, then pigeon, cat, badger, rat, rook, can all go in the pot. You can get the veg from the skips outside the supermarket, or help youself if you live in the country.

After plenty of cooking, and plenty of spices, know one will know what it used to be.

You won't get a cheaper curry.

Give it a go, and ENJOY!
The Following User Says Thank You to z1000000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Poet
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default recipe needed please for chicken curry in slow cooker

I want to cook a chicken curry in my slow cooker but can't find a decent recipe, I was thinking something like a jalfrezi
# 11
Pink.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM

Hi poet,

There's a slow cooker curry thread that should help so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the replies together. It may be worth a look through The Complete Slow Cooker Collection for more recipes.

Also some of the recipes in these threads could easily be adapted to suit your slow cooker:

chicken curry and others

Chicken curry?

Curry Night

Indian Curry Recipe Needed!

Curry in a hurry

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Last edited by Pink.; 09-10-2007 at 11:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
quick-learner
Old 21-01-2008, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to quick-learner
Default Help with slow cooker chicken curry???

I have tried the indexed section but cant get the link to work from my pc

I would like to attempt a chicken curry overnight in the slow cooker.

I am still a novice with the slow cooker and need a nice easy recipe? Can I use a carcus for this or would it be best with more chicken portions?

If some could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
I've caught it - The TESCO bug!!

Tesco points have paid for Florida holiday this year
'Kids now have 'womblitis'

I MSE

2 savings 2008 = 46
Quidco 244.95 PAID 2007 - 54.62 received to date
Kids Finders keepers jar 5.99 -since 26/5/07
# 13
Luca-Chatzzi
Old 22-01-2008, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile chicken curry

Personally I have never had success with cooking a whole chicken or using the carcass in the slow cooker as it had tended to break up. I haven't the patience to sit and pick teeny bones out of my food before or as I am eating it...but if this does not worry you then why not have a go...just be careful and don't go choking.

I like to use chicken breast ( not the cheapest option I know ) and I cut it into small chunks using a pair of scissors.

If you have a carcass with cooked meat ready to pick off....what I do is use the hob...fry up some onion in spices and a drop of oil, then add chopped apple, a spoonful or two of chutney or pickle and tin of toms......cook a few mins and add cooked chicken for 10 mins or so until thoroughly heated through. Done this way the flavour does not get right into the chicken meat but it still makes a passable supper dish.

oh and it helps to puree or mash up the tin of toms first or used ready chopped in a tin.

just re-read your post....any curry sauce will do...if you do not put veg in with it, just make sure there is enough liquid to see ya through the night, there is no sadder sight than a dried up curry

Dunno if this is the kind of reply you were after but HTH

Just remember the more you practise with the slow cooker the more you will get a feel for what is right....go ahead and have a go!

BW Luca
# 14
jcr16
Old 24-02-2009, 9:45 AM

Default quick responses needed please

I was gonna make a chicken casserole tongiht, but hubby said he fancies a curry.

i ahve loads of the value 4p sauce but i'd like to do soemthing different.

also i'd like to sling it all in slow cooker.

does anyone have any recipes please .
Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
# 15
jcr16
Old 24-02-2009, 9:47 AM

oohhh thought better say what i got in, lol

i have curry power, loads of diff spices, lentils, veggies, sultanas , apples , chopped toms ( although not too keen on these in a curry) , jars of pataks curry paste ( corriander and cumin , no idea why i have this ), onions i have qute alot in really as it was shopping day. but making a curry from scratch is a new one on me. however i am determind i can do it, lol.

Thanks in advance
Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
# 16
tim_n
Old 24-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

To start my curries in a slow cooker I first fry an onion on a low heat till it is soft, then add a medium curry powder with spray oil. Brown the meat, add to slow cooker with chopped tomatoes, peppers, orange lentils, mushrooms, chillis (if you fancy some extra heat, either chopped or whole)

When you get home, you can add some plain fromage frais (low fat option) or yogurt to cool it if too spicy.

Add a sprinkle of garam masala towards end of cooking (10mins?) and stir in.

Job done.
Tim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tim_n For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
smithyjules
Old 13-08-2009, 9:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Slow cooker vegetable curry

Hi there, I recently went to a party and someone had brought a slow cooker full of vegetable curry.the sauce was dark red in colour and it wasn't creamy in any way. It was find of like a lightly spiced ratatouille i guess. My description is awful but the thing is i cannot stop thinking about this dish as it was delicious!!!!i have looked through here for a recipe and can't seem to find anything similar.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i could make something like this?thank you!
# 18
skiTTish
Old 13-08-2009, 9:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They probably made their own curry sauce with powder and tinned toms ,the recipe is usually on the back of whatever brand of curry powder you buy
# 19
Bongedone
Old 13-08-2009, 12:55 PM

I make a red curry by Madhur Jaffrey. Uses lots of paprika which makes it a dark red colour. Its is not vegetarian though.
# 20
LilacPixie
Old 13-08-2009, 1:48 PM

just tinned tomato lots of spices and whatever veg/meat you want. I use star anaise, nigella seeds, whole cloves, garm masala, paprika, tumeric, chili and cumin seeds in mine
MF aim 10th December 2020
MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000