Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 3rd Aug 05, 10:51 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 3rd Aug 05, 10:51 AM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 10:51 AM
    Welcome angela

You can do several different things re fabric conditioner. You can just add neat distilled vinegar to your fabric conditioner drawer (this is what I usually do) as the vinegar smell doesn't stay on your clothes. If you do want a smell of something, you can add some essential oils to the vinegar (add into the vinegar bottle not necessarily the drawer as EO's are very strong)

However, if you want to make up a fabric conditioner then add 1 cup vinegar to 1 cup bicarb (watch out, this fizzes up) and add 2 cups water and a few drops of EO's to your choice. I have done this in the past and it does smell great but IMO, plain vinegar is as good.

HTH

TM
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Aug 05, 10:55 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 3rd Aug 05, 10:55 AM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 10:55 AM
    Just got back from checking the Save Zillions on Cleaning in our Indexed Collections to find I've been beaten to it.

Nothing to add

Harumph!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • tr3mor
    • 3rd Aug 05, 10:56 AM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 10:56 AM
    Seconding white vinegar, makes clothes nice and soft and clean, and they certainly dont smell of a chip shop!
  • angelareid1512
    • 3rd Aug 05, 11:28 AM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 11:28 AM
    Thank you Ticklemouse, will try the vinegar and EO method to see how I get on (as I have a very fussy husband!!)

Cheers

• angelareid1512
    • 3rd Aug 05, 12:24 PM
    Homemade fabric conditioner
    • 3rd Aug 05, 12:24 PM
    Does anyone have any suggestions to which EO I could use as I don't want to waste money on the wrong kinds

• moggins
    • 3rd Aug 05, 12:39 PM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 12:39 PM
    Lavender oil would be a good one as it smells nice and is very cheap.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 3rd Aug 05, 1:22 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    • 3rd Aug 05, 1:22 PM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 1:22 PM
    I used to use eucalyptus oil in mine - I liked the fresh smell and that is cheap too from chemists. Just over a 1 a bottle.
  • Loadsabob
    • 3rd Aug 05, 1:58 PM
    • 3rd Aug 05, 1:58 PM
    Lavender is 2.19 for a 20ml bottle in Holland and Barret at the moment, as part of their less than half price sale, down from 6-something. That should last a while. I also use Orange oil, quite cheap!
  • misty
    Orange oil smells gorgeous.
    • elona
    • By elona 3rd Aug 05, 2:47 PM
    • 10,177 Posts
    • 49,342 Thanks
    elona
    For anyone with fussy kids or husband - put the homemade mix in an empty fabric conditioner bottle - if you do not tell them then they will never notice.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • pink.1970
    What alternatives are there to fabric conditioner?
    Hi all,
    I recently ran out of fab con and wondered if any of you MSE'ers know what else I can use instead.

I've put water softner in with usual powder but it really doesnt seem any different.

Any tips would be very useful right now as next shopping day isnt till end of the month, OH seems to have realised we need to save money. :rolleyes:
    PinkPunkBird
    • Angelina-M
    • By Angelina-M 16th Feb 08, 10:54 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    Angelina-M
    White and brown vinegar is the only way to go in my house...
  • pink.1970
    What quantities would you use?
    PinkPunkBird
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th Feb 08, 11:13 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    The same amount as you would use of fab con will be fine.

Put it into the fab con part of your soap dispenser in the usual way.

HTH
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• pink.1970
    Thanks will give it a go now as there is a load of whites to go in
    PinkPunkBird
  • Gingham Ribbon
    You can add a drop or two of essential oil to make it smell nice, but I don't bother. The powder leaves them fresh and the vinegar seems to soften them and stop jumpers etc going bobbly.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • Angelina-M
    • By Angelina-M 16th Feb 08, 11:36 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    Angelina-M
    I used to use white vinegar in all my laundry but now just save that for white washes. For jeans and dark washes I use the ordinary cheap malt vinegar... its half the price of white!

A couple of tablespoons is plenty.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 16th Feb 08, 12:40 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi,

I've finally found an earlier thread on fabric conditioner and have added these posts onto it to help keep all the answers in one place.

You'll need to read from the beginning to catch up

• mam2dylan02
    I used white vinegar today with a few drops of cranberry and orange oil. I used half a cup of vinegar as someone on another thread suggested and my clothes came out with a slight whiff of the vinegar and not at all smelling of the oil!! Either i did something wrong, or it just doesnt really work as well as i thought :confused:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,324Posts Today

6,487Users online

Martin's Twitter