Travel insurance to cover missed uk flight

Just realised my current annual policy does not cover missed flights in the uk.

Of course, planning to leave with plenty of time but who knows. Would rather pay a few quid just in case.

Trouble is it seems a lot of insurers only cover international flights leaving the uk not internal flights.
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For some of them, (direct travel for example, although not a recommendation as I've not used them) if you click on Europe it then gives you a UK option within that. Might be worth a look.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,811
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Still struggling to find. If you check the small print for most policies they only apply to international travel not uk travel.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,861
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Google 'travel insurance within UK' brings up several sites.
  • paulfoel
    Forumite
    sheramber wrote: »
    Google 'travel insurance within UK' brings up several sites.

Until you trawl throught the small print of tons and find "not covered - destinations solely within the uk"
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Out of interest what exactly are you trying to cover ?

Issues with public transport/self transport leading to missing of flight ?
    Consequential loss for accommodation etc
    Loss of earnings ?
    Private or business cover ?

For most trips in the UK any risk can be mitigated by leaving early enough and having a back up plan. If the trip is important enough then 'self-insurance' is the best way.

I'd be interested to see if you did find something what the costs were and the conditions attached.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Of course, planning to leave with plenty of time but who knows. Would rather pay a few quid just in case.

Most scenarios you can mitigate e.g. leave enough time to fix a puncture/breakdown and get alternative transport.
    Some you can't e.g. deep snow, roads closed, big accident, but these are pretty unlikely.

How much are the flights?

There's probably a reason this product isn't widely available and maybe it's because there isn't a huge market as it doesn't often happen and the cost just isn't that huge if you have to buy new flights.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,427
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Perhaps the OP is trying to cover himself against situations like the one described here:

Interestingly, many of the responses on that thread do suggest travel insurance is the solution.
  • paulfoel
    Forumite
    Yes of course you can leave in plenty of time. But you can't predict everything....

I could have left two weeks ago and I'm sure I'd get there but I did have a few things to deal with first.

You can't predict everything like road closures, motorway pileups, waether etc.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I agree, that's why I said
    Some you can't e.g. deep snow, roads closed, big accident

Did you try the link?
    Did it offer you anything reasonable?

I once left for a cruise to southampton quite early and stopped in a pub for lunch with only a mile to go.
    Then in the last mile we met terrible traffic from an accident combined with a football match. My clutch and bladder were both complaining but I was at least in a better position than my arthritic MIL who would never manage a squat in the bushes. We did however know that hundreds of people would be running late for the cruise. We arrived in time but had eaten up all of our contingency, so I agree it can't be always avoided.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure