PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Anyone seen this today?

https://news.sky.com/story/live-deadline-for-russia-to-respond-to-spy-poisoning-11287981

I'm heartily sick of hearing about this. If someone traitorously takes money to betray their country, they should expect what's coming.

As for Theresa giving the Russians ultimatums, then what? 'Consequently our country is at war with Russia'?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Chamberlain came to my mind too when I read it jk0. But fear not - we might boycott the World Cup. That will really show them we mean business!! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Had a devil of a job finding the "Message In A Bottle" kit.

Tried both branches of Boots, Lloyds Pharmacy and IQ Pharmacy.

Finally found it at Tesco Pharmacy.
  • Message In A Bottle completed. :)

Instead of handwriting the supplied form, I scanned it and filled it out using Form Pilot, so it's far more readable than if I'd filled it in with the scrawl I call handwriting. :o

This leaves the original form intact, in case I need to update any of the details.

I also enclosed an extra slip of paper, listing my current medications, and how often I take them.

I've put brief details in a luggage tag, and attached that to my Hospital Grab Bag, which now also contains half a litre of bottled water, a slumber mask, and 4x£5 notes, which is more than enough to get me home, from my local hospital, by taxi.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Even if you're on medication that changes monthly, I'd consider finding that SOS talisman, Bob. (Awed & impressed by kit BTW & go on, how much did it cost?)

When we decided son should be tagged, I knew I had one somewhere, so bought another one. Sure enough, the naff, girly, dodgy-catch-on-bracelet article reappeared in days & was used as "moral suasion" (yep, blackmail) to get son to wear his wrist strap mounted version. ("Strap up or you can wear the girlie thing", & after washing up - "well? I know where that girlie one is" - sudden thudding of feet to find the proper one! Oooh, we are So Mean.)

It was then used by my son - if I'm tagged why aren't you - to get me to wear an SOS talisman again, and mindful of how benign & unobtrusive wrist mounted things are these days I too left the girly thing in a safe box (not That Safe, son knows where it is too) & went for the wrist strap mounted thing.

My son & I keep each other honest! (Well, sort of. But at least we're tagged so any stranger has a sporting chance.)

I'm learning to tell strangers in class that I'm a stabilized epileptic, but if they see that change, to mind my airway & tell the ambulance I have an SOS talisman. After decades of successful veiled "normality" it feels pretty weird, but it does help others with veiled disabilities speak up. We veil because there is still prejudice, but I'd rather deal with prejudice openly and help others do likewise than carry on scared, as the more who know how to help my lad, the safer he is.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As far as the Russian spy is concerned, he was imprisoned in Russia for his crimes, and he was exchanged voluntarily by the Russians for their own spies who'd been caught by us and were doing time in *our* prisons.

The vindictiveness, if it is an official attack, is mind boggling. And they got the man's daughter too, remember, she wasn't a criminal/a traitor. They also got a UK police officer, less seriously, but he was unconscious for days, so bad enough.

And if it was official, they employed a nerve agent on UK soil. Somebody certainly did, and that's a potential problem for all of us. And I just don't like the concept that someone was attacked like that at all, let alone in the UK. Though I also hope the politicians involved in decision making are going to have even a teeny tiny bit of common sense and forethought. Unlikely, I know :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Personally - I'd prefer if someone spoke up if they have a "veiled disability".

It was very fortunate for a work colleague of mine some time back that had a "health episode" with an illness I didn't even know they had - that I'd been reading about it/realised what it was instantly/knew what to do and got on with it (which is more than can be said for the first person that found this colleague .....).

It was rather scary for those of us nearby - who'd been living in blissful ignorance the colleague had this problem until then.
  • & go on, how much did it cost?

It's a bit tricky to give an exact figure, as a few of the items I already had, so have had to guestimate what I paid for them.

Interestingly, the holdall wasn't the priciest item. The pyjamas were, at £12.

The holdall was only £7 from the market.

Including the guestimates for the towel and socks, and the total lack of a price for the radio and paperback (both bought when Adam was a lad), total price was around £60, plus the £20 in cash I'm carrying in it.
  • It was very fortunate for a work colleague of mine some time back that had a "health episode" with an illness I didn't even know they had - that I'd been reading about it/realised what it was instantly/knew what to do and got on with it

A chap we'd only been working with for about 30 minutes, keeled over in front of us, with a full-blown Epileptic fit.

Quite shocking when you're not expecting it.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :( It's the indescriminate nature of using a nerve agent in public places which chills my blood. Cleaner if they'd shot him. It shows a fundamental lack of respect for the other country ie us. If I had been in that area at the time, I would be beside myself with worry.

But there will be some blustering and position-taking and nothing will change and P utin knows it fine well.

Re SOS Talisman, I've worn one for 20+ years, a pendant or a bracelet, and don't really think about it so am always surprised if a stranger comments on it, usually along the lines of Oh, you've got one of those, too!

I think it helps society to understand that people can walk around giving every appearance of perfect health whilst still having very serious things wrong with them. I, for example, would not lived to see this new millennium, had nature been allowed to take it's course. And youse lot would never have 'met' me on MSE, lol.:rotfl:

:p Tonight, I am torn between archery and allotmenteering but have decided to go play wiv da pointy things, I need to keep my hand in. Come the zombie apocalypse, all archers will be needed to defend the walls of this city against the hordes.......

Excuse me, you say the city walls are mostly missing and the remnants are less than knee-high and mostly hidden in flowerbeds? Dammit, why ruin a good bit of hyperbole by bringing boring old facts into it?!

:o Ahem. We will defend the city walls against the zombie ant apocalypse.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills