Location vent

I am so fed up emailing sellers who don't put the area where they are in London for collection only items, I've given up.

If you are a seller of collection only items PLEASE put in the description whereabouts you are, you could be losing sales.

I can travel by bus into London but depending on which part of London you are in means a straight forward bus trip or a nightmare journey of multiple changes - in terms of time under 2 hours or over 5! Distance as given by ebay in the search options has little meaning.

I'm sure this applies to other major cities too.

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is it really such a hassle to send a message?
    How many collection items are you planning on buying???
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    19lottie82 wrote: »

A seller cannot risk responding though, any information about location *could* be seen as the beginning of an off ebay sale, and with the new rules so punitive no seller would risk their account.

Likewsie, sellers need to be careful withpinpointing addresses in the listing, for the same reason. Although it should be OK (but please don't take my word on it) to give the area, like 'Croydon' or ''Staines'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    A seller cannot risk responding though, any information about location *could* be seen as the beginning of an off ebay sale, and with the new rules so punitive no seller would risk their account.

Likewsie, sellers need to be careful withpinpointing addresses in the listing, for the same reason. Although it should be OK (but please don't take my word on it) to give the area, like 'Croydon' or ''Staines'.

Exactly - world of difference between access to areas of London.
  • LadyDee
    Forumite
    19lottie82 wrote: »

Yes it is a hassle, especially when some sellers don't bother responding and I have to keep checking to see whether they have or not, and while I'm waiting for a response an auction for a similar item has been ended. It takes a second for a seller to add "Collect from ......... area".

It's irrelevant how many items I'm planning on buying.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Yes it is a hassle, especially when some sellers don't bother responding and I have to keep checking to see whether they have or not, and while I'm waiting for a response an auction for a similar item has been ended. It takes a second for a seller to add "Collect from ......... area".

It's irrelevant how many items I'm planning on buying.

See post 3.

A seller can be banned for letting you know the specifics of where to collect. Yes, it's mad but it is now policy and sellers are being banned.

The official stance is that a buyer should purchase and pay and then make enquiries. If the buyer no longer wishes to continue they should ask for a cancellation.

If you get any responses from sellers about where their items are, they won't last long. Likewise they aren't allow to put the details in the listing text to say where they are.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Ebay really isn't safe for collection only items any more.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyDee
    Forumite
    See post 3.

A seller can be banned for letting you know the specifics of where to collect. Yes, it's mad but it is now policy and sellers are being banned.

The official stance is that a buyer should purchase and pay and then make enquiries. If the buyer no longer wishes to continue they should ask for a cancellation.

If you get any responses from sellers about where their items are, they won't last long. Likewise they aren't allow to put the details in the listing text to say where they are.

I don't want (or expect) specifics - just the area, i.e. South London, North London - the former I could travel to easily, the latter no way.

It's nonsense to suggest that a buyer should bid and win auctions or do a BIN, then cancel if they find the journey too onerous. Where on ebay does it officially state this?
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    I don't want (or expect) specifics - just the area, i.e. South London, North London - the former I could travel to easily, the latter no way.

It's nonsense to suggest that a buyer should bid and win auctions or do a BIN, then cancel if they find the journey too onerous. Where on ebay does it officially state this?

The policy prohibits the exchanging of ANY contact details and that includes specifics on the item location. If it isn't listed on the location box it isn't allowed.

The only option you have in finding out the location is to bid/buy and cancel if it is not conveniently located.

There isn't another way - you cannot look at a private seller's address. If it's a business seller, all you can view is their registered business address and if (like many including me) that isn't the location of stock (by some distance for me) then it's not helpful.

Whilst the policy seems to be coming down harder on sellers, I am certain there are triggers for a buyer who continues to ask. Have a search on the posts that have been on here since the policy came info force late last year. Business sellers have been banned for replying to simple questions.

If you want to sell collection items, eBay is NOT the venue.
  • LadyDee
    Forumite
    The policy prohibits the exchanging of ANY contact details and that includes specifics on the item location. If it isn't listed on the location box it isn't allowed.

The only option you have in finding out the location is to bid/buy and cancel if it is not conveniently located.

There isn't another way - you cannot look at a private seller's address. If it's a business seller, all you can view is their registered business address and if (like many including me) that isn't the location of stock (by some distance for me) then it's not helpful.

Whilst the policy seems to be coming down harder on sellers, I am certain there are triggers for a buyer who continues to ask. Have a search on the posts that have been on here since the policy came info force late last year. Business sellers have been banned for replying to simple questions.

If you want to sell collection items, eBay is NOT the venue.

Hmmm.... really? Taken direct from ebays site, advice to sellers:

"Specify the location of the item
    You should accurately describe the location of your item using the postcode where it's located. This can make your listing more attractive to buyers in your area, because they can save on postage and get their item more quickly."
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 3:26PM
    Hmmm.... really? Taken direct from ebays site, advice to sellers:

"Specify the location of the item
    You should accurately describe the location of your item using the postcode where it's located. This can make your listing more attractive to buyers in your area, because they can save on postage and get their item more quickly."

Yes really.

Where is the policy link to your info?

Your quote isn't policy. It's on the help pages. Not quite the same thing.

You seem to think I am justifying the policy, I am certainly not. It is utter madness. What I am doing is explaining why you are not having the replies to your messages, or finding listings are more vague than normal.

The location of a listing can be specified in the location box on the listing, but that is now more restricted than it was. You cannot exchange any info about the location in messages or within the listing text.

If you don't like it, shop elsewhere. I won't continue to try to explain it to you as you don't seem able to understand.

Some threads which may help you understand it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5757203&highlight=banned+restricted

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5709336&highlight=banned+restricted

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5790568&highlight=off+ebay+sale
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure