Am I asking too much of my GP?

Not asking for health advice more advice on GPs actions.

Lived in area 4 years, before that had a excellent GP who gave me regular bloodtests that diagnosed hormonal problems especially in winter months (when I feel weak), referred me for hospital tests and I was put on medication, was on it for a few months but cut down as the medication worked too well then moved to current area and GP made me go cold turkey along with the anti depressants I was taking.

Had 1 blood test in 4 years, the first winter I was there that diagnosed vitamin issue (and likely linked to something else) now every time I go in everything gets passed off with "its a virus going round" "its time of year" at most if I say I have ear and throat pain they check it.

In 4 years the only time I have had actual support is when a locum is on, last year I went to my doctor 3 times in 2 months and kept being told I have a virus, it will go away and 4th time I saw a locum who said I had a chest infection/virus and gave me a inhaler and thought I should get blood tests done. Went back a few weeks later a little better but still coughing and my normal doctor didnt even check notes and went "its a virus" I told her about the inhaler and she then looked at the notes and went "oh yes, that was a few weeks ago, just keep using that then"

And a few months before I badly broke my arm, and was in agony and my doctor just prescribed pain killers without checking, eventually saw another locum who said he thought along with the broken arm I had a broken collarbone as the bone was warped! My normal doctor didn't even check, and I also mentioned sleep issues and he referred me to respiritory unit at hospital for sleep apnea (which I had been enquiring about for years with my normal doctor to get the "its a virus" line) So without him referring me would of got nowhere.

Anytime I was ill since then my current doc now adds "well it might be due to your sleep apnea, so wait a few months"

Anyway now on sleep apnea breathing mask and pump and felt dizzy to point of faint with it for first 2 weeks so asked my doctor for an appointment, due to snow had to cancel and didn't get another appointment for 5 days, in meantime I phoned NHS 24 who sent me to a out of hours surgery.

Spoke to doctor there and he was shocked I hadn't been getting regular blood tests as well as mentioning my body hair, and cysts on body are signs of something tounge twisting so put on notes for my GP to get me blood tests as well as refer me back to respiritory at hospital for a different reason (linked to sleep apnea) as I shouldn't be struggling to breath with the new mask.

Saw my actual doctor today, didnt even bring up the out of hours one, at end of session I mentioned it and the blood tests and just got "oh yes we saw notes" and that she didn't think blood tests were needed!

I could change surgeries but only 2 other available to me in town, one has a far worse rep than my doctor.

So am I asking too much of my GP or am I getting messed around?

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I think it's hard for people online to say one way or another. You could be somebody with medical issues and a GP who ignores you or you could be a hypochondriac in fine health and a GP who knows that, but you'd say the same to us either way - we can't tell!

Whatever the situation, if you're not happy with your GP can you change to a different doctor at your current practice? At the three practices I've been with, you get to choose what doctor you see rather than seeing your 'own' GP each time, so perhaps try that if moving is difficult.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your GP is certainly not making you feel cared for, which is important.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    rach_k wrote: »
    I think it's hard for people online to say one way or another. You could be somebody with medical issues and a GP who ignores you or you could be a hypochondriac in fine health and a GP who knows that, but you'd say the same to us either way - we can't tell!

Whatever the situation, if you're not happy with your GP can you change to a different doctor at your current practice? At the three practices I've been with, you get to choose what doctor you see rather than seeing your 'own' GP each time, so perhaps try that if moving is difficult.

All 3 are just as bad, its a health centre with like 2 practises in (used to be 3) hence why its so bad, the nurses are shared with both surgeries and also run things like womans and sexual health clinics so if blood tests do need done you wait 1-2 weeks for appointment and have to get form from doctor, walk to main reception, hand in form, book appointment.

If I was 0.1 miles away from where I am would be classed as a different town which has excellent surgeries.

But considering in past few years I have had a massive mole removed, history of testosterone and hormonal problems, previous GPs statements confirming I have mental health and physical problems its not that I should be seen as a hypochondriac by them,

What I do tend to notice is the GPs at mine seem to prefer older clients, I seem to be one of the few under 40/50 clients they have from past experience.

And when I go in they chat to the older clients and I hear (not intentionally) things like how they get on well with the doctor, had home visits, how the doctor goes out of their way to help them.

Could be the doctors at mine treat patients who have been with them for decades really well.
  • rach_k
    Forumite
    I would have thought it unlikely that you would have three bad doctors in one practice. I can understand if they're bad at admin or you have to wait for appointments or something but three bad at the actual medicine all in one place?

I also think it's unlikely that you're experiencing age discrimination. That tends to be the other way round.

Is it possible that it's your perception of them that's the problem rather than the doctors themselves? If others seem happy, it might be something to consider.

Regardless, if you're unhappy just move. What else would you like to happen? You could try booking an appointment to discuss your perceptions and they may be able to explain why they haven't done things you've wanted, but I suspect you won't ever be happy there so is it worth it?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I would have thought it unlikely that you would have three bad doctors in one practice. I can understand if they're bad at admin or you have to wait for appointments or something but three bad at the actual medicine all in one place?

I also think it's unlikely that you're experiencing age discrimination. That tends to be the other way round.

Is it possible that it's your perception of them that's the problem rather than the doctors themselves? If others seem happy, it might be something to consider.

Regardless, if you're unhappy just move. What else would you like to happen? You could try booking an appointment to discuss your perceptions and they may be able to explain why they haven't done things you've wanted, but I suspect you won't ever be happy there so is it worth it?

Oh I can absolutely believe it. At my last surgery there were at least three who were bad at the medicine part, plus bad admin and what seemed to be a policy of 'don't make referrals even when requested by a hospital consultant'.

I changed in September and can't believe how different my new ones are. Today a different service called them with concerns, I got a phonecall within half an hour and an appointment a couple of hours after that.

So I echo others - changing GP surgery is probably your best bet. Have you contacted the ones in the next town to see if they'll take you despite being just over the border? It can't hurt to ask, although procedures might be different in Scotland.

Or would moving to that town be a possibility, solving your housing and GP issues in one?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite

All but one seems friendly, or at least friendlyish it feels more like each time you go in they feel like im wasting their time has been occasions with one in particular does seem to have mixed moods, either totally grumpy or happy to help!(but still not doing much)

I went from an amazing GP in old town to ok at best at this surgery, really had to fight for anything.

The problem with moving is out of frying pan into the fire! Im not 100% sure on the other surgery in the health centre but another actual surgery in town is hated by everyone I spoke to each person saying they don't like benefit claimaints in there (to be honest I think thats because thats the surgery the substance abusers use from what I heard)

And when I say bad, when things get done they do get done and fast like when I didn't take no for an answer when I wanted CBT it just seems they don't seem to want to diagnose anything.

I mean as I say they were the GPs that made me go cold turkey on antidepressants and hormones as they said they don't think I need them (despite not giving me blood tests to confirm) and told me the times I had a chest infection nothing was wrong or it was just the time of year etc.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    In England there's a website where patients review GP surgeries, I assume there's one in Scotland. Maybe if you google 'reviews of x GP' you'll get a better idea of what they're like and whether it's worth moving?

I put off moving from my old one for years, I really wish I'd done it when I first started thinking the old one was useless.

One thing I've learned though is that 'friendly' means nothing with GPs. My old one was very friendly, very sympathetic, said lots... but did nothing.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Yes that seems to be what mine does, nicey nicey to your face (apart from that one I mentioned) but never gets things done. Like I say the locums every time I have had them is only time I get anywhere, just like the out of hours surgery I went to the other day was very sympathetic and own words "if you were my patient id get blood tests done straight away" stating things he noticed like body hair and cysts were signs of something I can't pronounce.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    dekaspace wrote: »

What I do tend to notice is the GPs at mine seem to prefer older clients, I seem to be one of the few under 40/50 clients they have from past experience.

That won't be the case, it's just that older people are more likely to be there because they are more likely to need to be, especially if you go a lot during normal working hours.
  • rach_k
    Forumite
    Why on earth would they not like benefit claimants? What difference does it make to them? You don't pay them after all. Would they even know? As you said, maybe the substance abuse aspect is the real reason. If that doesn't apply to you, disregard it.

I've seen locums a few times for myself and the kids and I do find them more likely to prescribe, diagnose or refer, but I think that's because they won't see you again so they like to get the box ticked that you've been treated. There's nothing wrong with that, but your regular doctors are in a better position to monitor you over time and reach a diagnosis that way - perhaps more with more accuracy in general. When we've seen locums it's been hit and miss - we always come away feeling like things have been dealt with but it's not always been dealt with in the right way for the longer term. That's why we have regular doctors after all.

Regardless, you're not happy but you've had some good suggestions: Ask another practice if they will take you even though you're outside their area; change to another local one; ask if you can discuss your concerns with your current doctor or just continue as you are. I'm not sure what else you want people to say. We can't say whether you are right or your doctor is right or neither.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure