The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Suspected affair - Tracking a mobile phone

Hello. I need some advice/information.

I suspect my husband might be having an affair. Occasionally, he will go somewhere for the evening and tells me he's going out with a friend, but I suspect he's not.

Is it possible to track his whereabouts based on his phone? He has an iphone. I did a quick google search and there are several companies that claim they can tell you the location of any mobile phone - for a fee. If I pay the fee, will I be able to see the location of his phone?

I know there are various apps that enable this, but I believe (tell me if I'm wrong) that it would require him to install the app on his phone and authorise me to view his location.

If he has "location" turned off on his phone (which I suspect he does have turned off) would these websites work, or are they a money making scam?

Comments

• Have you considered actually talking to your husband before you spy on him?
  • pushing40
    pushing40 Posts: 48
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have you considered actually talking to your husband before you spy on him?

I knew I'd get replies like this.

He's hardly going to admit it is he? I'd rather have some evidence of his infidelity, rather than just a hunch, before I bring the subject up.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pushing40 wrote: »

I suspect my husband might be having an affair. Occasionally, he will go somewhere for the evening and tells me he's going out with a friend, but I suspect he's not.

Is it possible to track his whereabouts based on his phone? He has an iphone. I did a quick google search and there are several companies that claim they can tell you the location of any mobile phone - for a fee. If I pay the fee, will I be able to see the location of his phone?

I know there are various apps that enable this, but I believe (tell me if I'm wrong) that it would require him to install the app on his phone and authorise me to view his location.

If he has "location" turned off on his phone (which I suspect he does have turned off) would these websites work, or are they a money making scam?
    1: no they will be scamming you.
    2: it's possible using certain apps, but - Only if you want to go to prison.....
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    I knew I'd get replies like this.

He's hardly going to admit it is he? I'd rather have some evidence of his infidelity, rather than just a hunch, before I bring the subject up.

And knowing his location will give you what evidence exactly?
  • pushing40
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    1: no they will be scamming you.
    2: it's possible using certain apps, but - Only if you want to go to prison.....

Thank you. That's what I thought.
  • pushing40
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    And knowing his location will give you what evidence exactly?

That he's lying. If you've nothing to hide, why lie?
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can track phones with the Find Friends app, which is built into iPhones by default. But yes, he'd have to agree to let you track him.

I routinely track my husband and kids - it's very useful for when it comes to planning meal times, or when we go out for the day and get separated, e.g. the one who is doing the cooking can see how far from home the other one is and make a judgement on whether to put the pasta on yet.

My mum also uses it to keep tabs on my dad, who has mild dementia.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    That he's lying. If you've nothing to hide, why lie?
    But it wouldn't if it showed a bar or a restaurant or a caf! or whatever.

Look I don't know if he's having an affair or not, but if you question him every time he goes out (and you must to consider having a comparison address to track) then you will push him away for good.

Does he hide his phone, where he previously didn't? Does he get dressed up where he previously wouldn't? Who do you think it is - you must have an idea.
  • pushing40
    Forumite
    onlyroz wrote: »
    You can track phones with the Find Friends app, which is built into iPhones by default. But yes, he'd have to agree to let you track him.

I routinely track my husband and kids - it's very useful for when it comes to planning meal times, or when we go out for the day and get separated, e.g. the one who is doing the cooking can see how far from home the other one is and make a judgement on whether to put the pasta on yet.

My mum also uses it to keep tabs on my dad, who has mild dementia.

Yes, I've seen that I have that app on my phone - but I don't seem to be able to see details of anyone else on there. That's what made me assume that they must have to do something on THEIR phone for me to be able to see it on MY phone.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

What has made you suspect this?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts