Northern Rock - who do I contact?

Hi, does anyone know who I should contact to enquire about whether I had PPI on an historic Northern Rock mortgage? Many thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Did you buy via NR directly or via a mortgage broker? - important as the answer you give will decide where

Did you buy before 14 Jan 2005 or after?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks dunstonh. It was via a broker after 14 Jan 2005.
  • Apples23 wrote: »
    It was via a broker after 14 Jan 2005.
    Then it is to that broker which you address your complaint.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As mentioned above, you complain to the broker.

However, do be aware of the following issues
    1 - Brokers/advisers account for under 1% of PPI complaints and most of those are rejected (by both broker and FOS). Generally, PPI is not seen as an adviser/broker failure.
    2 - You will be complaining about the broker personally. Not like a bank where it is faceless and without consequence on the staff member. The broker will take it personally as it creates a cost to them and the complaint can follow them on their file for life. So, only complain if you were genuinely missold. Don't put in a try-it-on complaint.
    3 - MPPI is still retailed today. Its one of the good types of PPI. Regular premium paid by direct debit standalone from the debt is how it should be set up. A lot of the issues that affect loan PPi and credit card PPi do not apply to MPPI.

So, why do you think you were missold?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks for all the info. I wish to enquire whether I had PPI at this stage. The info I have will help me with that.
  • If you got the PPI through a broker, NR won’t be able to tell whether you have it or not. Do you have a Direct Debit to a PPI provider every month?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure