Rules of the road

Hi,
On my way home tonight, I felt as if I had done something wrong so would like to get another opinion.
I'm sat queuing at a set of traffic lights at a 3 way junction. I'm in the left lane and van driver is in the right lane. When going through the traffic lights the road remains 2 lanes and approaches another set of traffic lights about 100m further down the road.
Once you pass the first set and approach the 2nd set, the left lane is used for left turn and straight ahead and the right lane is for right turn only.
The first set of lights turn green so both lanes start to pull away and said van driver then decides to indicate to come into my lane (he probably knew before the first set of lights that he was going to need to be in the left lane, but does it to get ahead).
Anyway there is about a 4 to 5 meter gap between me and the car in front of me that he's attempting to get into. He indicates and starts to veer into my lane so I sound my horn for about 2 seconds to alert him of my presence.
I am correct in thinking that it is my right of way as I'm currently in the lane and hes trying to cut me up?
I'm annoyed because when I sounded my horn, he brakes quite sharply (probably because he didn't even look in the near side mirror) and when I'm along side him, he sticks his middle finger up at me. He then pulls in behind me and flashes his lights a few time. A mile down the road, I need to turn left and he proceeds to beep his horn at me again as he passes me. Obviously he's angry, but am I in the wrong for not braking and letting him into my lane? I mean, the courteous thing would have been for me to slow down and allow him in ahead of me. But how is that fair?
If I'm wrong, I'm glad I asked because I've learned something, but at the same time I'm annoyed he beeped at me because I didn't let him cut me up.

Comments

• That's the problem with the roads. Too many people trying to protect their "right of way" instead of doing the courteous thing.

Would it really have made a difference to you to let him in?
  • Sounds like both of you were in the wrong.

Next time be more chilled, driving is not a contest to be the first at the next lights.
  • He was in front trying to merge into your lane?

You presume he knew before hand he would need to move left and just used the right lane to "get ahead" so thought !!!!!! that I'm not letting you in?

(when in fact, even if he did know, there could be many reasons he was in that lane, ie ignorant idiots not letting him merge ;) or maybe thought he would use the whole of the road network like it's supposed to be)

You were turning off the road in a mile, what difference did being a van length back make? .5 second on your journey? Even if it made you miss the next set of light 1 minute, 2?

Yes he probably shouldn't have reacted aggressively to your aggression but that's how these things start.
  • Should have got out of the car and shot him two or three times, it seems to work okay in the U.S.

Or maybe not :eek:

People on the road are stupid in their metal boxes, let him in and smile and think serene thoughts, it`s better for your health and your driving.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    He was in front trying to merge into your lane?

Did it have 'freeman3030' written along it?

The incident was potentially dangerous, because the OP could see what the driver in front was going to do, but decided not to allow it; it was a van - often longer and harder to judge distances.

No harm done this time, so all is well.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    Did it have 'freeman3030' written along it?

Well the OP claimed it in the first post and was prepared to defend it from the nasty van driver who was trying to steal 3 or 4 meters of it.

Must admit it's got a nice ring to it, "take the next left on the freeman 3030" :rotfl:
  • aggi
    aggi Posts: 153
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have been driving to work for 3 years with similar frustrations EVERY DAY. after few months I have adapted motto!!!8217;can!!!8217;t beat them, join them!!!8217;
    certainly helped my blood pressure;). not saying it is the just thing to do but you never know who is behind the other wheel. new sat nav? desparate person in pain trying to get somewhere in an emergency or just a voilent thug that may harm you for silly reason... as Elsa said. !!!8216; let it go let it go!!!8217;
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,178
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I am correct in thinking that it is my as I'm currently in the lane and hes trying to cut me up?

No, you're not correct. The Highway Code tells us that no one ever has "right of way".

It also tells us to be considerate to other road users.
  • I probably wouldn't have beeped my horn, but i wouldn't have let him in either. He should have waited for a gap not force his way in.
    Wins: Cushelle Koala, Mama tea bundle, coconut ice cream recipe book
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    Forumite
    Gellerbing wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't have beeped my horn, but i wouldn't have let him in either. He should have waited for a gap not force his way in.
    3 or 4 meters

Might just squeeze in ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family