Missing Item - eBay

So I will try and keep this brief as I know I do rattle on a bit sometimes.

Had 6 tubes of face cream, put them on eBay as buy it now as a set of 3 twice. Each tube weighs roughly 35g.

Sold 3 on 08/02/2018 and posted that day. Sent signed for large letter in a bubble wrap envelope and weight was 121g. Items received next day and positive feedback left.

Sold 3 on 09/02/2018 and again posted that day. Sent signed for large letter in a bubble wrap envelope and weight was 120g. Message from buyer today saying only 2 tubes received instead of 3 and can I refund her immediately or send her another one.

I replied back with an apology and asked if the large letter was damaged at all to which she said no and to just refund her for the 3rd item which was not received.

I know I sent 3 in each large letter. My nephew did the packing with me and he was counting them out - "1 pink tube, 2 pink tube, 3 pink tube".

I've searched the whole house and can't find the tube. I know I sent them all. Had I have only sent 2 the second time I posted out, the weight would have been well under 100g.

What do I do now? I don't refund her do I or do I?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Given ebay's habit of siding with the buyer, accept that you will have to refund for the missing tube (even though you are certain it wasn't!) and don't let it become a saga. You can't prove you sent it and she doesn't have to prove you didn't. Ask her to open a case rather than refunding direct.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,787
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would ask them to open a return for not as described. Ask them to return the two. They may keep the missing one but at least you will hopefully get two back. You can always contact EBay if there is any problems with what they return and see what they say. If they have to open a return and return the items, they may not bother. Especially if they have done it before.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for the information. That's what I'll do.

The buyer has 0 feedback and only joined eBay a few days ago.

Oh well.

Thanks for your help.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I would ask them to open a return for not as described. Ask them to return the two. They may keep the missing one but at least you will hopefully get two back.

Why? OK, outside chance the buyer won't do anything if asked to return - but if they are returned, OP would have to pay postage on the return and would then have to resell. Giving a refund for the one alleged to be missing means they are safely sold and she'll have saved on return postage.
  • Brynsam wrote: »
    Why? OK, outside chance the buyer won't do anything if asked to return - but if they are returned, OP would have to pay postage on the return and would then have to resell. Giving a refund for the one alleged to be missing means they are safely sold and she'll have saved on return postage.

On principle I would get them to open a case even if it meant paying the return postage.

The fact that the package weighed almost the same shows that three items were sent.

This is a 0 feedback new buyer and if they get away with this then that up is another scammer up and running.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    On principle I would get them to open a case even if it meant paying the return postage.

The fact that the package weighed almost the same shows that three items were sent.

This is a 0 feedback new buyer and if they get away with this then that up is another scammer up and running.

I think I'd do the same, if I was sure I was being scammed then I would rather lose return postage than allow the buyer to think they can get away with this .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lisbon
    Lisbon Posts: 415
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Isn't that known as cutting off your nose....and yes, I can see exactly why one would! But if you take the emotion out of it, opening a case but not asking for a return might be a more sensible approach.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    I think I'd do the same, if I was sure I was being scammed then I would rather lose return postage than allow the buyer to think they can get away with this .

But they will 'get away with it' whether they return at the seller's expense and she refunds in full, or the seller refunds for one allegedly missing tube. Either way the seller will lose out - it's a case of limiting the loss, not huffing and puffing about what I hope was a not-too-expensive item. As for 'the principle of the thing' - many people shoot themselves in the foot for things which aren't worth getting out the gun for!

Instead of getting carried away on a wave of justifiable outrage, take the route most favourable to the unlucky seller - and block/report to ebay. Just a thought, though - if OP if so sure it was sent, why scour the house looking for it?
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,117
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 1:08PM
    Dox wrote: »
    But they will 'get away with it' whether they return at the seller's expense and she refunds in full, or the seller refunds for one allegedly missing tube. Either way the seller will lose out - it's a case of limiting the loss, not huffing and puffing about what I hope was a not-too-expensive item. As for 'the principle of the thing' - many people shoot themselves in the foot for things which aren't worth getting out the gun for!

Instead of getting carried away on a wave of justifiable outrage, take the route most favourable to the unlucky seller - and block/report to ebay. Just a thought, though - if OP if so sure it was sent, why scour the house looking for it?

The op states that the weight was almost identical to the first package so it must have contained the same items

If the buyer is sure there was something missing, they shouldn't have a problem opening a case. I would rather pay for the return postage than let a new O feedback buyer see how easy it is to get free goods on eBay.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dox wrote: »

Thanks for all your replies.

Dox I checked because the buyer was so adamant only two were sent I had a good look round just to be sure.

Then I looked at both receipts and saw the same weights save 1g.

I've got two tubes of the night cream which I am using and are the same size. The two tubes and the bubble wrap envelope came to just over 83g.

Anyway Miss Marple to the side. I've told her to open a case and send the lot back. Let's see what happens. Thanks for your advice folks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure