Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • textbook
    • By textbook 4th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 116Posts
    • 12Thanks
    textbook
    Reduced Council Tax if on Tax Credits
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    Reduced Council Tax if on Tax Credits 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    If you're on tax credits I heard youo can get reduced council tax. how do you go about that. Doing tax return and heard from council you have to open your books to them. What does that mean? What info do you have to show them?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Jan 18, 1:06 AM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 10,124 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:06 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:06 AM
    If you're on tax credits I heard youo can get reduced council tax. how do you go about that. Doing tax return and heard from council you have to open your books to them. What does that mean? What info do you have to show them?
    Originally posted by textbook
    council tax reduction is for those on a low income, which may or may not tally with tax credit income (im not a tax credit expert but I believe CTR income cut off is much lower)

To get CTR you will need to show your income and your capital. Iím assuming from your post you are self employed. At my council they have a self certificate of trading that you would have to fill in showing your profit for periods that they will inform you if.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 4th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    Tax Credits are treated as income. Also many council's will assume a 'minimum wage' income if your self employed income is low. They use different disregards of business expenses than HMRC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

927Posts Today

6,752Users online

Martin's Twitter