Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sabine
    • By Sabine 3rd Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Sabine
    Moving to Germany - best way of transferring money from UK to Germany
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    Moving to Germany - best way of transferring money from UK to Germany 3rd Jan 18 at 9:15 PM
    What is the best way of transferring a large amount of money to a German bank account? I'm selling my house in the UK and want to buy something in Germany and was wondering, how I can minimise losses through for instance currency exchange.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Jan 18, 12:33 AM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 6,042 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:33 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:33 AM
    See https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange for guidance on the most cost-effective ways of achieving this.
    • Marrad
    • By Marrad 4th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Marrad
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    Negotiate
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    I have used OFX for sums up to £10,000 - and have found them to be quick, easy and much cheaper than my bank. If you do use your bank, it might be worth trying to negotiate a better rate especially if you are a good customer.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 4th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 11,808 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    If you don't mind fiddling about a bit...

Open an account with a UK bank that does not load foreign currency debit card transactions (Metro Bank is the most obvious);

Open an account with a Euro-land bank that allows you to fund your account by debit card. You are not restricted to Germany, and might well find that this is easiest in Ireland;

Use your debit card to fund your Euro account. Under EU rules they are then not allowed to charge you to move these funds elswhere within the Euro zone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

927Posts Today

6,752Users online

Martin's Twitter