Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lyns2203
    • By lyns2203 3rd Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    lyns2203
    FB marketplace
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    FB marketplace 3rd Jan 18 at 4:22 PM
    Hi!

I hoping someone can help me... I sold a pair of brand new shoes on FB marketplace. I posted them to the buyer as they weren't local to me.
    They received them today but have asked to send them back because they don't fit.. What are my rights as a seller? do I have to offer a refund? Nothing was mentioned before they bought they that they would like a refund if they didn't fit because if that was the case I would have not sold and posted them. I personally have bought things from Ebay that didn't fit but it wouldn't have crossed my mind to ask for a refund..

Am I being unreasonable in saying no? They are going to be seeking legal advise and i'm worried now that I will get in to trouble.

Many thanks for your help

Lynsey
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 3rd Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 4,781 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    I would have thought if you listed them with the correct size you are ok & can politely tell them where to go.
    Hiraeth
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 3rd Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 11,682 Posts
    • 7,890 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    Did you offer returns? How did the buyer pay?
    • lyns2203
    • By lyns2203 3rd Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lyns2203
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    Did you offer returns? How did the buyer pay?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

No i didn't offer a return option and it never came up during the conersations about the shoes. Paid via paypal
    • lyns2203
    • By lyns2203 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lyns2203
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    I would have thought if you listed them with the correct size you are ok & can politely tell them where to go.
    Originally posted by Oakdene

Thank you!
    They were listed as the correct size and she said she was happy with the condition. Maybe i'll just leave it a few days and see what happens.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 3rd Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Dox
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    The buyer will be seeking legal advice - really? Over just a pair of shoes (assuming they aren't Jimmy Choo or similar)? She's bluffing.
    • lyns2203
    • By lyns2203 3rd Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lyns2203
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    The buyer will be seeking legal advice - really? Over just a pair of shoes (assuming they aren't Jimmy Choo or similar)? She's bluffing.
    Originally posted by Dox
    Definitely not a pair of Jimmys! just plain black sketchers.. I hope she is bluffing, definitely not worth the stress over £40
    • Dox
    • By Dox 3rd Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Dox
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    Doesn't sound as if you have anything to worry about, provided you listed the shoes with the size shown on them (and any legal advice would confirm she has normally has no right to a refund from a private seller who has accurately described what they are selling).
    • lyns2203
    • By lyns2203 3rd Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lyns2203
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    Doesn't sound as if you have anything to worry about, provided you listed the shoes with the size shown on them (and any legal advice would confirm she has normally has no right to a refund from a private seller who has accurately described what they are selling).
    Originally posted by Dox
    She has said they are in the condition expected and the size she expected, they just don't fit! i'll stop panicking now! thank you
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 3rd Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 11,682 Posts
    • 7,890 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Be mindful that as she's paid by Paypal, she can open a dispute for 180 days after purchase (6 months). However, the reasons for the dispute can be either INR (item not received) - I take it you have proof of delivery? Or SNAD (significantly not as described) - the buyer can claim they aren't as per your description. If the latter case is opened, the likelihood is that Paypal side with the buyer and tell them to return the items (at their cost) to you for a refund.

I'm not saying anything like this will happen, but just be mindful it might. It may also help you in future sales/purchases.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 3rd Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 15,460 Posts
    • 21,145 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I would politely reply saying that it was a private sale and that as they are as described then you will not be accepting a return. I would then suggest she sells them on herself to recoup her money.

Or you can offer a refund minus the postage, but only when she has returned them at her own cost.

Skechers often come up big. I'm a UK 7.5 (EU41) but always take a 40 in Skechers.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 4th Jan 18, 2:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    diane***
    accept the return............ I sold on ebay, as described , my seller decided she didn't want it , I refused her request to return because it ''was as described'' and an auction not a shop , ebay customer service got involved, they passed judgement ...said I had to accept return I had no choice but because they had got involved I also had to pay ebay commission and return postage.
    seller has no rights on ebay........... I do not sell on there any more, sellers have no rights, ebay will take money from your paypal account without your permission too....
    in accepting the retun you will get back your commission and maybe the buyer will have to pay the returns costs p&p.... oh they can claim there p&p from ebay...you cannot..

sellers have no rights , auction are treated as shop sales............ ebay sucks for sellers
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 4th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    diane***
    just read ''pink shoes'' reply.

don't follow this advice, you will lose and pay all fees, p&p sales and return, all she has to do is complain to ebay customer service and for you is pay all the way.

tell your buyer you'll accept the return, on receipt return her fee. if you are lucky it will end there.
    most likely she'll complain to ebay about the los of P&P and you'll end up with that cost too.

in my experience this is how it will go for the seller........... it is not fair or right but ebay don't care, they do what's easiest........... learn and move on..... and away from ebay.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 59,725 Posts
    • 42,399 Thanks
    soolin
    accept the return............ I sold on ebay, as described , my seller decided she didn't want it , I refused her request to return because it ''was as described'' and an auction not a shop , ebay customer service got involved, they passed judgement ...said I had to accept return I had no choice but because they had got involved I also had to pay ebay commission and return postage.
    seller has no rights on ebay........... I do not sell on there any more, sellers have no rights, ebay will take money from your paypal account without your permission too....
    in accepting the retun you will get back your commission and maybe the buyer will have to pay the returns costs p&p.... oh they can claim there p&p from ebay...you cannot..

sellers have no rights , auction are treated as shop sales............ ebay sucks for sellers
    Originally posted by diane***
    just read ''pink shoes'' reply.

don't follow this advice, you will lose and pay all fees, p&p sales and return, all she has to do is complain to ebay customer service and for you is pay all the way.

tell your buyer you'll accept the return, on receipt return her fee. if you are lucky it will end there.
    most likely she'll complain to ebay about the los of P&P and you'll end up with that cost too.

in my experience this is how it will go for the seller........... it is not fair or right but ebay don't care, they do what's easiest........... learn and move on..... and away from ebay.
    Originally posted by diane***
    You might want to actually read the thread and original post before starting a tirade against ebay policies - the OP clearly stated this was on facebook, so I can't see how on earth you expect ebay to enforce their policies?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 4th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    treboeth
    You might want to actually read the thread and original post before starting a tirade against ebay policies - the OP clearly stated this was on facebook, so I can't see how on earth you expect ebay to enforce their policies?
    Originally posted by soolin
    Epic rant shot down in flames
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 4th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 3,143 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    Paid via paypal
    Originally posted by lyns2203
    *Always* get paid via Bank Transfer on FB, the loons and thieves on FB are even worse than eBay.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

927Posts Today

6,752Users online

Martin's Twitter