Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 6,656Posts
    • 48,803Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST December: Debt Destruction December
    • 26th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    NST December: Debt Destruction December 26th Nov 17 at 3:14 PM

Debt Destruction December 2017
    Clear Up, Clean Up and Take Control

You CAN do it

2017 is coming to an end - how has this year been for you? December is a perfect time to make plans, to start as you mean to go on and to avoid the traditional failings of January's "resolution" chaos. The year ahead has to be clear in your head, what you want and how you will go about it – this ensures you make progress.

It's time to clear up those niggling feelings of fear and face your debts, get out those envelopes that have been shoved into drawers, clean up the loose ends and call your CC companies and know where you are at and what you owe. Take control of your life.

It's so important that you do this for yourself and do it now. Christmas is often a very expensive time of year and what better time and place to start pulling things together than with us...we are a group of people who are supporting each other to debt freedom. We call ourselves Turtles – find out why here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5048897

(look at post #2)

These are the non-negotiable rules to follow:

1. This Challenge runs from December 1st to December 31st.
    2. You will aim for 15 NSD's. Any spend on any item will class as a spend day. You have 16 days for spending - use them wisely. An NSD will not be spoiled by purchasing yellow sticker products only or medication, fuel or paying for regular children's activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope). This month you will also keep an NSD if you only buy items for the food bank or donate to charity.
    3. You will pay to your debt/savings first. And live off the rest.
    4. You will drop one Christmas outing/party whether with work or people you don't really like. Why waste your money? I am not going to a work do at all!
    5. You will take your lunch to work every single day that you are there. At home? Out and about? You will still plan a ‘packed lunch’ for yourself. No exceptions. You will not darken the doors of cafeterias, coffee shops, take away emporia…
    6. You will not go to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. It is too much temptation to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!!

Debt destruction: to destroy your debt (or mortgage), you need a plan. When is your Debt Free Date (DFD)? How much do you need to pay each month to get there? Have you done a Statement of Affairs (SOA)? What are your weaknesses? And strengths? Set your budget for December NOW (see below).

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. There will be other things for later in the month.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear some space in your surroundings by removing 31 items this month – to charity, to recyc, to give to others. Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health.

Explore your local area – get out and walk, go along those footpaths you have never been up before. Going away? Venture out and be observant. Appreciate the landscape.

Mental health. To continue a recent turtle theme. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.

Budget
    EVERYTHING before you start the month. (Food, gifts, bills, travel, activities, annual stuff…) Get a notebook and write down everything you will be doing in December. (And then use the notebook to record each and every spend for the month.) This budget is to be set in stone – you really do not need those Christmas promotions. Is there an expectation that you will travel more, contribute with gifts/food/drink? Can you make something? Batch cook now. Bake some goodies so that you avoid massive tubs of sweets, fancy biscuits in tins and expensive cakes. Cookie dough can be frozen raw and then cooked in a few minutes when required. Batch cooking doesn’t have to be 24 meals in one go – even doubling up, or ensuring you have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch is a good thing.

Evaluate
    the year you have had: what was good, and what was not so good. What did you do well? What was beyond your control? Now look ahead and plan 5 things to go for in 2018.

Remember
    that this is a difficult time for many. Allocate £5 of your food budget to spend on food bank items. Check what they need, get the kids involved, or do it online if that is the only way for you. This is on top of your usual giving this month. Get in the habit of doing good deeds for others.

I can’t say this won’t be hard but we are all here to be encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name!

(Please do not re-post the entire thread as it makes it too long.)

But do post every day.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2017 at 9:31 AM.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Page 11
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 7th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    laurenh1
    My big spend has been delayed so now on NSD # 4. Hurrah
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Dec 17, 5:34 PM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 65,829 Thanks
    greent
    NSDs 4

Lunches taken/ prepped at home yep - ate when I got home from work - finished up some chicken

Debt destruction: Aiming for DFD (exc BTL mtge) of 10/18
    Exterminate Facebook gone from phone
    Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear space by removing 31 items - 19/31 Clean up your way of talking to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. -
    Explore your local area
    Mental health.. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: Write down 4 gratitudes each day.
    * DS2 enjoying his trip to Twickenham to see the Varsity match
    * fire alarm at work was just an error (but practicing evacuation procedures during an exam (mock) was good - if chilly)
    * DS3 being in a fab mood
    * DS1 getting improved effort marks for the past 6 weeks
    Budget EVERYTHING
    Food 89.64/450
    Social £120
    Gifts £125
    Fuel 50/65
    Make extra money 14.86/50 (+ 5 extra hours at work)
    Evaluate (Done) Now to 2018: (targets set)
    Remember to do - DONE
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1985/2017 items
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 7th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 19,617 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 7
    Hugs to those in need of one.
    NSD 4/15
    Carrying on slowly with decluttering of things in the flat. 2 pieces of equipment that my Mum used were collected.
    Mental health - watched a comedy film, caught up with the clothes wash.
    Grateful for:
    Family.
    A friend sent be an M&S rose bouquet.
    Taking it easy today.
    Staying in today.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 6/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 7th Dec 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6,656 Posts
    • 48,803 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Kerry Woman - it does sound like you are looking after yourself. Well done.

Greent - yay to ds1 getting improved effort!

BBK - glad that fb will no longer rule your life and eat away those hours. Great news!

Sashanut - that crisp advent calendar is a geat idea!

Today I am grateful for getting an unplanned NSD, for chats with dh, for strongman, for finally finishing the final mitten, for a good day at work, for dd doing 2 lots of hwk tonight, and for making her own viking necklace, for the order I placed for socks and slippers for mum arriving.
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 7th Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 6,656 Posts
    • 48,803 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Extermination + Regeneration
    How are you getting on with exterminating a bad habit? The challenge now is either to continue with it for another 10 days or to attack a different time- and energy-sucking habit. I shall continue not playing that game on my tablet + also stop playing the game I seem to be using as a substitute for it. D'oh!

As for regeneration - this is where you will adopt a good habit for 10 days. It could be to drink 2 litres of water every day, to get out for a 10 min walk at lunchtime, to do some daily stretches... I shall commit to doing Zuzka Light's bunny slope workouts for 10 days.

This part runs from 11th -20th Dec.
    017 sell 351

• mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 7th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Evening all

Spendy day today. 1 Xmas gift and a trip to Costco for nappies.

Made a gift for a work colleagues new baby, all materials I already had so no cost.

Grateful for cheap nappies, DDs 2 and half hour nap, orange is the new black and that DD ate all her meals today!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 7th Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 24,372 Thanks
    Fmess
    Spendy day today - two Christmas presents, so only one left to get, and some food bits. Used the voucher I got from cash back from my credit card to pay for most of it

I am going to continue exterminating my not walking the dogs after work and regenerate having more veg for dinner. Sometimes I don't seem to have any and I don't eat fruit or veg at any other time!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Quick update:
    Spendy Day today, another NSD yesterday.
    Staying with my plan to avoid the bargain sites, mostly because I didn't manage the 10 days.
    Regeneration wise, I plan to pick up exercise on the off gym days. Mostly will be walking I think.

Clearing out a thing (or ten) still going well another bag to CS, and also dropped off serveral tins for the foodbank. I've an extra selection box(can't count!) so will add that in next time I am there.

Clients are beginning to not pay when bills are due. We are used to this at this time of year, so we have a stock pile of staples in cupboards. Big business can charge more and bank the extra for a rainy day. We can't. *Sigh* Hopefully won't need to touch the carpet fund, half way there now thanks to an unexpectedly high value sale!
    Debt Busting December NST #3 | NSD 4/15 |
    I can do this!
    • misstara
    • By misstara 7th Dec 17, 10:30 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 17,361 Thanks
    misstara
    NSD today so 4/15

I'll continue exterminating the game on my phone and also stop watching TV unless there's something specific on that I actually want to watch.

Pinching the idea from Fmess - I'm also going to have more veg with dinner, realised that I actually haven't eaten any fruit and veg so far this week
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 2/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £70.25/£200. NSD target 9/15.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 7th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 7 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 7/31

NSD: 2/15 spendy day today & as well tomorrow...

Debt destruction: Have no debt now but not so long ago were 93K in debt so I know that I need to make sure I don't go down that slippery slope again...but we are on a fairly fixed income so need to rein the unnecessary spends which have been creeping up..

Exterminate: Nothing bought for myself

Clear up, clean up and take control DH shipped out a load of stuff belonging to DD - although she resisted it - there is still plenty to go in her room, but a small victory... Also carried on with collecting stuff from all over the house to replace in dining room, plus sorted out some bags of Christmas stuff that had been dumped in LR.

Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Had the usual feeling of way too much to do & no real progress made although there is some...Let yourself sparkle. Not exactly sparking but did enjoy a peaceful evening, DD having gone back to her own home.Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. Indeed

Explore your local area – Will attempt to explore local area when we go to Ireland, there are lots of opportunities, it's such a beautiful place. Sadly had news that someone has stolen our entire delivery of oil over in Ireland, so have to order again....neighbours kindly keep an eye on the place but didn't see this happen..just hope no-one nicks it over the weekend till we get there...no idea how to stop this happening again...

Mental health Fine today even with theft of oil, still on an even keel

Write down 4 gratitudes each day. Grateful for: That local lady can come & look after animals when we're away (as well as DD), easy tea with all ingredients in stock, put up one decoration...but it looks fab lit up from outside, getting most of the Christmas bits organised.

Budget Need to do this but not got my head around finances yet, watch this space. better write some stuff down otherwise will forget..now written down but need to add up etc..

Evaluate the year you have had: Year was much better than last year, still quite a bumpy ride but am grateful for what we have.. Need to plan 5 things that will happen next year. Still a WIP
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 8th Dec 17, 12:01 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    bizzie
    Unexpected NSD#3 as didn't want to venture out in wet weather any more than I had to so shopping postponed until further notice.
    Grateful for
    Food from stores
    Good school reports for DC
    Heated clothes rail
    Family
    Groceries 211.63/400 Personal Spends ....../100
    NST December #29 NSD 7/15 @ 13/12/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Dec 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 31,323 Thanks
    dolly84
    sashanut - that's bad news about your oil.

We had snow overnight so of course this morning was fun and games on the roads, mostly clear but people drive at a snails pace which doesn't help. Took an age to de-ice the car so I think I may invest in one of those foil things for the windscreen as we seem to be set for a cold winter. In fact thinking about it I believe we have one that we had as a sun protector for the caravans front windows. Will have to look for that.

All the beds have been stripped this morning and one load is washed, it will all have to go in the drier unfortunately. I'm not looking forward to dog walking on the ice, the dog has in built crampons and charges about making it difficult for me to stay upright.

DD was horrified this morning that I was wearing bright yellow leg warmers - always fun to horrify a 14 year old.

Plan to get the rest of the house cleaned today then put the Christmas tree up in the lounge, will do the one in the dining room tomorrow probably.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • mummylewis
    • By mummylewis 8th Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    mummylewis
    Hello!

Early check in today but got my 2nd NSD! Whoop!
    Proud because I'm always at work at 7am on a Friday which usually means a bacon sarnie from Gregg's and a boots lunch meal deal. I took both brekkie and lunch in today from home.

Dinner tonight is stir fry, using up lots of veg in the fridge.

Grateful today for my Xmas jumper keeping me warm at work, an early finish, DH nearly stripped all the wallpaper off in the spare room and the small sprinkling of snow making me feel all christmassy
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 8th Dec 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 24,372 Thanks
    Fmess
    Evening all,

I’ll spend later at a Christmas meal out but not spent anything else, so pleased with that.

I’ve been out and walked the dogs this evening and stripped and changed the bed before work so I’m happy with my productivity so far. I’m just about to wrap a few presents and write a few cards to take tonight and tomorrow.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 0/15 Food 65.06/120 Personal 91.34/350 Petrol 40.01/80
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 6,656 Posts
    • 48,803 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for my warm coat, for getting what we needed from sainz, for swift bus journeys, for a hot bath, for my sch cmas fair going well (I raised about £50 for a charity), for the lovely pta who serve us so well, for dd and dh msking the journey over tomy fair, for leftovers that were quick to zap and eat for tea.
    017 sell 351

• greent
    • By greent 8th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 65,829 Thanks
    greent
    NSDs 5

Lunches taken/ prepped at home at work all day, so freebie lunch
    Debt destruction: Aiming for DFD (exc BTL mtge) of 10/18
    Exterminate Facebook gone from phone. Not sure whether I'll continue that for next 10 day set or exterminate something else. Regenerate - will think about that (too tired tonight)
    Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear space by removing 31 items - 20/31 - donated a bottle of wine from our too-large stash to DS2's school for some Cmas appeal (so many on I've lost the plot as to what they all are!)Clean up your way of talking to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. -
    Explore your local area
    Mental health.. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: Write down 4 gratitudes each day.
    * exams team wearing Xmas jumpers at work today
    * chocolates at work today
    * watching DS2 in his 2nd ever rugby match today after work
    * snuggling DS3 whilst watching DS2
    * whatsapping with DD
    Budget EVERYTHING
    Food 89.64/450
    Social £120
    Gifts £125
    Fuel 50/65
    Make extra money 14.86/50 (+ 5.5 extra hours at work)
    Evaluate (Done) Now to 2018: (targets set)
    Remember to do - DONE
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1985/2017 items
    • worklifebalance
    • By worklifebalance 8th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    worklifebalance
    NSD no 3. At least being snowed in is good for the budget. Grateful for us all being home safe, plenty of food and logs in and so far the electric has been fine. Still snowing so probably not going far tomorrow.
    SPC #459 no 8 2015 £203 2016 £157 2017 £70
    starting mortgage £120,000 June 2012
    OP 2015 £5000, 2016 #57 £28866/ £25000
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 8th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 19,617 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 8
    Was a spend day. Will try and update signature/notebook with spends the next few days.
    My Mum's wheelchair was taken away.
    Did get Mum's death certificate today. Have to sort out registering her death and start the funeral arrangements.
    Had an issue with the priests from my parish church. They were very insensitive. After my Mum's funeral I will not be going not back there.
    Did make a donation online to Salvation Army which will go towards supplying a food hamper and gifts for one family in need. Will still do toiletries for local Salvation Army.
    Grateful for:
    Having a brisk walk.
    Having a laugh with a friend tonight who helped me with a few things in the flat.
    Very understanding GP.
    Been able to speak to another friend this afternoon.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 6/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 8th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    I’m still on NSD 1. Used some of the entertainment budget last night and had pizza. Used leftovers for today’s lunch so fed us twice. I spent some money today buying new Christmas lights.

I have to have a NSD this weekend and pull it back next week. I’ve been working 8/8.5 hour days (not including 2/2.5 hours of daily travel) and it has taken it out of me.

I’m hoping a nice relaxing weekend will recharge me. I’ve got a week and a half before I’m off so that way s motivating me somewhat! I’ll also grab some NSD then as well!
    December grocery challenge £187.76/£250 | December NSD 5/15
    Credit Card 1: £145 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £2,256.06 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £787.60 (0%) Car Finance: £7,865 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,363 (3.99% APR)
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 8th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 8,140 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Foxholes where can you get dairy free Ben and Jerry's from?? Thanks
    Originally posted by worklifebalance
    I have found 3 flavours in Tess Co- a banana one, a peanut butter one and a chocolate biscuity type one. £5.50 a pot.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,291Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter