Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 964Posts
    • 4,334Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 23
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 23rd Nov 17, 11:37 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I think it usually takes 3-5 working days x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Nov 17, 12:40 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think it usually takes 3-5 working days x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    *Counts on fingers* 31st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. 9th... no more fingers. Definitely time to phone.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Nov 17, 2:52 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    No reply from the email yet but I suppose they may be a bit busy as it's Black Friday.

I haven't got my wits together enough to ring about the refund from the supermarket (not good at phoning people), and the spray paint is on my list if I get as far as going into town.

I've been up since early (for me) as we did a family breakfast for DS and the only way we could all get there was to have it at 7. Nice to keep up a tradition though.

Once everyone had gone, I got three loads of laundry washed and on the line, though it may not dry till about March despite the beautiful weather. There was quite a frost overnight. I'm about to put some in the dryer (not MS) so it's in order for tonight.

I was going to declutter today but as ever, everything else has taken priority. There's another coat of paint on the Christmas present project - I may just swap the unwanted gold spray paint for white if they'll allow it, and do a top coat of white spray as I'm struggling to get a good finish. Looking for a small brush for this lead me firstly to a big tin of white gloss with the lid insecurely on and a paint brush partly submerged! I've thrown the brush out but the underlying gloss may be okay - there's about a couple of litres in there. Then of course I had a painty hand and could I find the white spirit? It eventually showed up in a far corner of the shed, meaning I had some rearranging to do to get there. Finding the right brush also lead to DS's old games console ('I was looking for that!'), and finding the white gloss has led to cleaning off the back door which has needed a coat of paint for a while. Having scrubbed it down I can see a spot of filler is needed so I'm adding that to the W!lkos list.

Next jobs are birthday cake and drying some bedclothes. Still haven't spent any money today but am tempted by a good offer on dishwasher tablets (Gr0upon, in case you want to jump in there - I may not get that far).
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 24th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like a busy day Cherry! x

Have a lovely weekend x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 24th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thank you Wannabe, you too! Is it tomorrow the kids are back?

I've managed to stay away from the High Street but bought the dishwasher tablets which I suppose officially messes up my housekeeping spends. I think I need a contingency fund for things like this as there are good discounts sometimes and we do run the dishwasher at least once a day. As it is, the money will just have to be from general funds, which eventually means out of mortgage repayment. The mortgage still gets its money but less overpayment.

This evening we had a family meal out for DS's birthday - not everyone could come but we still had a lovely evening. DH paid and we have given a gentle warning to the next generation that once we start saving for spending money for our holiday, they can buy their own meals. To be fair, DS was going to pay their share but I stopped him. We came back here for cake and a natter but now I'm yawning and have work in the morning.

I heard back from the clothes shop too: not enormously helpful as they have suggested I speak to the manager of the store. Normally that's a problem as it isn't local but as it happens I may be back there this coming week to buy more Christmas stuff.

No progress made on CC unravelling but I'm too tired to get my head round it and I need to be fit for work.

Spends:
    £20.99 + £1.99 P&P = £22.98
    MS stuff:
    Homemade birthday cake
    No pudding as we were all far too full!
    Rescued various paints and brushes from the Shed of Doom - though last night's frost may already have done for some of them.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 25th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Birthday breakfasts are great aren't they? Makes the whole day extra special somehow.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 25th Nov 17, 10:00 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Birthday breakfasts are great aren't they? Makes the whole day extra special somehow.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    I love birthday breakfasts - and Christmas breakfasts.

Well the late nights and early mornings are taking their toll: all three of them. I was okay with work but fell asleep when I got home! Actually work was quite nice: we went to a Christmas fair where I bought some baking apples and a raffle ticket in aid of a good cause, and won a prize! I must admit I immediately began to think who might want my prize, being convinced it was a teddy, and I have enough teddies. It was a rag doll instead, and I immediately fell for her, possibly because she is already named with a name that means a lot to me. Then I discovered she is carrying a baby doll in a sling, so there's no way I can pass her on now, is there?

So I spent £2 while at work.

Dh and I went to the shops (he paid apart from 1p which I found to make the change right). We got a sample tile to help us work out what we want in the kitchen, and some groceries.

Other than that, I returned the tin of spray paint and got a refund, but as I also bought wood filler and shoe polish, I'm only better off by 40p.

Back at home, I've put the wood filler in a door frame and once it's dried I'll repaint. I've also done more on the Christmas present... can only work on it when safe from being visited by the people I'm making it for, but I am enjoying myself. I have a similar project lined up for myself after Christmas - a bit of a freebie as I already have paint, brushes etc.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £2.01
    Household £3.50 and refund of £3.95 i.e. 45p spent.
    Donation £1

I completely forgot about chasing up the Mr T refund, and the clothes one will have to wait till Tuesday, so 1 out of 3 so far.

MS stuff:
    Refund
    Filler in door will help reduce drafts a tiny bit and make the door last longer.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 25th Nov 17, 11:07 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounds like a busy day! Well done on the win x
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 27th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent yesterday (26th).

This isn't a day off but I'm going to have a to-do list to make sure I get things done.
    • make banana bread done
    • start laundry done
    • collect DS's prescription
    • buy pond weed for goldfish
    • buy hairspray and/or mousse
    • more paint on Christmas present project
    • ironing
    • resolve a few more items on CC list
    • piano practice done
    • tidy kitchen done
    • quick clean bathroom
    • tidy lounge done

It's turned to rain so I'd better crack on with indoor jobs.

... and that's it for today - off to work, hoping to be able to collect the prescription on the way
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 27-11-2017 at 2:10 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 11,255 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You sound very clever at your crafty projects Cherry, it sounds like fun.

It is a good idea to have a fund for discounted items like dishwasher tabs that you have to buy anyway.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Nov 17, 10:29 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello everyone, sorry to have been AWOL for a couple of days. Between work, shopping, painting the Christmas present project and having a cold I haven't the brain power to go through my receipts.

The present is nearly finished and a few more presents are bought. I did go back to the shop to query the price of the clothing but it turned out to be right, so no refund there. The similar ones are £8.99 but this particular top is £17.99! Ah well. I kept it anyway as I like it so much.

It's been snowing on and off all day here but I can hear drips outside now so the temperature must be rising. I have just checked my fitbit readout and found I didn't get to sleep till nearly 3 this morning so that's why I'm feeling a bit rubbishy. I hadn't realised I was so late!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oops, I'm even more behind than I thought! Yesterday was Christmas shopping with DD - a bit less of a huge event than we usually make it as we both have colds and we decided we didn't have time to trek to Meadowhall, which is our favourite Christmas shopping venue. We usually make a massive browse-and-buy expedition, with Sheffy city centre one session and Meadowhall the next but what with one thing and another that didn't happen this year, so not so much spending. We did manage out lunch out though and found a new treaty place. Definitely not one to go to too often though as I must have had enough carbs to last a week!

In between times I am working but the cold has really hit my sleep badly so it will take a bit of fortitude to start going through my receipts!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    NSD today. We did go to a Christmas tree festival which was very pretty and we meant to make a donation but missed the collecting box.

The Christmas painted project is done and dusted: we have space on the dining room table again! I have filled it with presents and sorted them out. I've run out of energy for tonight so no wrapping or anything organised like that but it's clear that as always I have far too much for the girls compared with the lads. Men are so hard to buy for! A few more bottles of beer needed, some more socks, hair gel... that's about as inspired as I get.

I have work early tomorrow so I'll disappear off for now.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I crashed out last night and had the best night's sleep for probably a couple of months. Woke feeling not 100% but maybe 90% .

Today - the famous 'day off' that isn't - started off unproductive until I realised what a state the place is in, so I threw a load in the washer, set off the dishwasher, had a bath, washed my hair, got the washing on the line, (eventually) did my face, got another load in to wash and had some lunch. since then the grinding to a halt thing is happening again so here I am...

No piano tonight but can't get away from feeling guilty at not doing my last-minute Tuesday practice so I may do that.

Still to do:
    Get dinner
    tidy kitchen a bit
    ironing (who am I kidding?)
    prep for study later (half done last week)
    catch up money stuff here.

I suspect it's this a last that's the procrastination issue so here are yesterday's accounts:

Spends (04/12/17):
    Housekeeping 14.40
    Stationery £1.00
    Clothing £7.00
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 5th Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Don't be too hard on yourself x
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Dec 17, 10:54 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Don't be too hard on yourself x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Aw, thanks! Always feels better once the place isn't a disgrace and if for some random reason a TV crew showed up on my doorstep (lost - they were dazzled by your shiny new paint ), I wouldn't still be in pyjamas at one in the afternoon!

The list:

Get dinner Done
    tidy kitchen a bit Done by DH
    ironing (who am I kidding?) *Hollow laugh*
    prep for study later (half done last week) Done
    catch up money stuff here. Started

No more spending spent
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 6th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Cherry just replying to your comment on wannabes thread .

B town a good old mill town , I only work there , but do like the market . However Bury market is the best .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've never been to Bury market - and my memories of B town will be well out of date now - but I have to come through that way every now and then and it stirs up the memories!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Dec 17, 12:27 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Yet more present buying today as someone has kindly offered to take gifts for family living abroad which I had kind of put on the back burner as I didn't expect to see them till spring and had bought small items of china and a rather hefty book that I didn't want to post. So today I bought tokens for treats that I know they can use in the UK when they next visit, plus some small things. The china can go in the suitcase and the book will still have to wait.

We had tea at DS's so no food spending today.

6/12/17 spends:
    Toiletries/makeup £4.99
    Pets £3
    Gifts 38.50+9+9.99+12.97 = £70.46

Which is actually quite a lot of money but does complete buying for five Christmases and two birthdays.

MS stuff:
    Lunch from the freezer
    Tea at DS's
    Two of the gifts were entirely right for the person but also at a reduced price!
    Discovered W!lkos does the cheapest chocolate oranges I've yet found so some of the spending was stocking (get it? ) up on those for little extras.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Dec 17, 11:26 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Quite a profitable day: I found 1p down the back of the dishwasher.

Nothing spent. I meant to buy flowers for a friend but ran out of time before work. I found some soup in my freezer and a not poodle in my locker at work so food was cheap too, though I made some cous cous and left it out so DH threw it away. It had been stuck in a remote corner of a top cupboard and was well out of date and not very flavoursome any more so I only have mild regrets. Is it worse to let things go out of date and eat them rather than waste them (non-poisonous things, of course), or to know that I really don't look forward to having them at all and therefore throw them away?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,254Posts Today

7,607Users online

Martin's Twitter