Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paranoidpete
    • By paranoidpete 7th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 2Thanks
    paranoidpete
    aqua credit card
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    aqua credit card 7th Dec 17 at 12:45 PM
    I am finally trying to sort my finances out and I missed a payment on my mbna card, so I phoned them and they were very helpful.
    we went through my finances and have set up a payment plan and frozen the interest.
    I don't like to make that type of phone call but they made it very stress free.
    so I have just phoned up aqua credit card who is another one I have and they asked what I could offer, the operator came back and said that he was sorry but as my account has no missed payments and not in arrears the computer said no. so he told me to either miss a payment or pay a reduced payment, then he will be able to help.
    I just think it is strange that when you try to get things sorted before they become to bad you have to actively make things worse, before they can help.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:02 PM
    Hi Pete

Without wishing to sound like I'm making excuses for anyone, that telephone operator may only have very limited information to work from i.e. what his system tells him about your payment history with them. If you're anticipating difficulties meeting repayments it may be best for you to send the lender details of your income and outgoings (such as any that you worked out with MBNA).

Does it look from your budget as though you will definitely be unable to make the next scheduled minimum payment on this Aqua card? And are there any other credit debts besides these two?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • paranoidpete
    • By paranoidpete 7th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    paranoidpete
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    I have been missing out other bills but trying to only miss one of my cards but as I have set up a payment plan on that one, I am going to have to reduce payments on the others.
    the operator was very helpful and actually told me that they are unable to help unless my account is in arrears, but told me to make a payment of what I can then they set thinks up.

yes I have 3 credit cards 2 loans and a car loan
    Last edited by paranoidpete; 07-12-2017 at 1:54 PM.
  • National Debtline
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    OK then. In that case, you ought to think about plans/solutions that incorporate all of your unsecured debts, and not just the credit cards. Lenders can be more reluctant to agree arrangements with you if they think others are being given any "preferential" treatment.

The car loan, if it is something like a hire-purchase agreement, might be the one debt out of this list that you try to maintain as normal, assuming that the vehicle is an essential for you.

Why not post a Statement of Affairs (SOA) up here and/or get in touch with one of the free debt advice charities for a second opinion on how best to tackle the situation.

SOA template: http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 7th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    Without all the details of your outgoings it would be difficult for Aqua to change what you should be paying. Imagine if everyone decided that they wanted to pay less. I am not saying you are not in need of help, but it would be easy for some to just say they were in difficulty.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2017

Aiming to make £4,500 online in 2017.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter