Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,848Posts
    • 43,628Thanks
    Kittikins
    Dreams and wishes....
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:27 PM
    Dreams and wishes.... 6th Aug 17 at 2:27 PM
    Hello! Hoping that if I start being even more sensible about saving by accounting for myself on here, I'll get to where I want to be faster....

A bit about me: My lovely DD, Miss Kittikins, and I live with my parents in their house, where I grew up. We've been there for 4 years and I think we all need our own space most of the time....I'm divorced and retained as a teacher 4 years ago (where has the time gone!!) and love my career so much. I pay 'keep' to them of roughly 1/3 of my take-home pay, and try to save as I'm very aware that a mortgage/rent would be far more than I'm currently spending!

I met a wonderful man, KW, last November, after 3 years on my own and a few interesting relationships before that. We have a long-term plan to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, but we're trying to be patient and do it when we feel financially ready. He earns much less than I do and is very frugal. I'm sometimes more of a waster....have just managed to remove a lovely £4.60 necklace out of my online basket on Debenhams, as I know I really don't need it!

I've been used to being very frugal, Miss Kitty didn't know you could get a tin of beans without a dent and a yellow sticker on it til she was about 6, but have got out of the habit and can be rather emotionally driven to spend. Sometimes life gets me down and I'll 'treat' myself to something, be it food, books, clothes I rarely wear, a present for Miss Kitty.
Page 10
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Dec 17, 11:26 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Counted my Marmite jar and added in £4 - from DD! She has donated the remains of this month's pocket money (after buying me a lovely Christmas present ) to the new house fund! What a gorgeous girlie I have, eh? xxxx

I now have £20 in there and there is MUST stay!

As KW has to give 2 month's notice on his flat, he's suggested that he doesn't give it up until I definitely have the house, then DD and I can move in and have a bit of mummy-daughter time, whilst he moves in v-e-r-y slowly, a car load a week or something It might be a nice idea for DD, so that she gets more used to the idea of there being a hairy Welshman about the place!

Ooooooh, I'm going to be on tenterhooks until I know I have a new Agreement in Principle and can definitely apply for the mortgage.
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Saved £1 today by DD physically taking something out of my hands whilst we were in a shop, reminding me that I didn't need it and that we needed to save up for our house
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Sensible girl you have there KK

I think it's a good idea to get the both of you settled before KW moves in. I think it will surprise you what an upheaval it will be moving in even though you can't wait to leave DP's. It will give you both time to relax in your new home ready for the next chapter of your lives.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I've now got an updated credit report and have sent it to the mortgage advisors and KW has bought me a mahoosive money tin, so that I don't steal my savings away again

I came home to a lot of legal gubbins to read and am mega excited
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 46,515 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for legal gubbins. This sounds so funny.
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Grrrrr, ******** ex and his failure to pay maintenance is looking like it's going to cost me the mortgage

Keeping everything crossed that tomorrow the mortgage broker will be able to find me somewhere to take me on.

I've got 40% deposit FFS!!!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 46,515 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Good luck. swx
    • blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 7th Dec 17, 10:17 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    blue_mango
    Grrrrr, ******** ex and his failure to pay maintenance is looking like it's going to cost me the mortgage

Keeping everything crossed that tomorrow the mortgage broker will be able to find me somewhere to take me on.

I've got 40% deposit FFS!!!
    Originally posted by Kittikins
    Unfortunately, the whole process of buying a property is over complicated, it should not be so difficult or cause that much stress to people.

You have an impressive deposit, fingers crossed!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 9th Dec 17, 6:34 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    KK I hope you manage to get the mortgage sorted out x
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 9th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    There's a glimmer of hope.....will know more on Monday. Trying not to get my hopes up too much.

In more sociable news, KW and I went out to see a Muppet Christmas Carol sing-a-long last night. Hilarious! Lots of throwing cotton wool balls when it was snowing, others drinking Bell's whisky when the bell tolled 1, 2, 3 (I hate whisky) I bought us a pint of lager shandy for £3.90 (wowser!) but it was a 'free' night out apart from that, as I bought the tickets months ago.

Got some bags of pears leftover from school, so am going to stew them up at KWs for free puddings. We're both on a mission!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Dec 17, 4:47 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 46,515 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hurrah for £20. Well done on mortgage. It's all falling into place.

Hope you are having a good weekend.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Dec 17, 9:19 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    The mortgage isn't sorted yet, sadly, but there's hope....

NSD today, which wasn't hard, as I just played in the snow and watched iplayer all day
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 12th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Mortgage agreement in principle received today - YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!

Not a NSD, I had to buy crap food for lunch and than post a letter registered/recorded/whatever the heck it is, to guarantee it would get there by Thursday! DD's school fee bursary renewal form; I always leave it to the last minute!! Has to be in by Friday
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wooo Hoooo Kittikins great news on mortgage !!! Hope all goes smoothly now with survey etc. Will you exchange now with a completion date in May ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4,848 Posts
    • 43,628 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I don't know.....hope so.....I've now paid £250 to the solicitor and £500 for the mortgage application, gulp!

KW has asked me to apply for an allotment the second we move in, as there's a mahoosive amount of them in the town, about 5 minutes' walk from our housie

I had to buy a present for DD to give out to her secret Santa recipient tomorrow and finally broke into a note, so the change under £1 has gone into the sealed tin!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 12,956 Posts
    • 46,515 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done.

If you are free can you offer advice with a problem on my thread. I'm right in the guano.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,282Posts Today

5,477Users online

Martin's Twitter