Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 16th Jul 16, 8:03 PM
    • 3,200Posts
    • 12,766Thanks
    *Robin*
    Blowing in the Winds of Change
    • 16th Jul 16, 8:03 PM
    Blowing in the Winds of Change 16th Jul 16 at 8:03 PM
    A brace of raptors soaring in the breeze over the Nest just after dawn on Solstice morning gifted me the title of this, my reprise into MSE's Diary-world.

I'd had little sleep. Partly because, well, Solstice is a special day and the night had been filled with memories of happier years, and partly because it seemed that my faithful companion was rushing towards The Light, her paws galloping in the air as she dreamed contentedly beside me.
    I was exhausted. Fear of what might come to pass if my dear girl's last, eternal bed had not been prepared before she was ready to cross Rainbow Bridge loaned me energy I could not afford; each day a single bucket of stony earth was added to a pile beside the chosen resting place.
    Dear Vet had nothing more to offer beyond comforting words and her promise to attend should the need arise, any time day or night.

DS1 rescued me. He called to offer salutations not long after sunrise; apparently I was making no sense at all on the 'phone which led to a prompt visit - tools in hand - and the job was completed before the day's end.
    Bless him.

Although resigned to the inevitable at that point, Clever Dog was not in pain so I decided to delay departure from the Nest until she had no more need of my staying. Her behaviour in the van suggested she would not welcome another long distance adventure and obviously, I did not wish to cause her any distress during her last days in this realm.** Despite Divo Four and Dear Relative's increasingly urgent requests for my presence at homehome, the weeks passed and each day the mercury in the thermometer rose higher.

Meanwhile I have not been paying attention to financial matters since giving up m' previous diary: A bank card expired so I could no longer check that account. The gizmo for signing into another stopped working, but CD and I have been living comfortably on our £400 per month allowance - half of it spent on her medications and the best diet, another £50 on storage for the camper-van, and the rest - well I can't really remember, but there always seemed to be funds left in our 'daily' account when it came time to turn another page on the calendar.

There's nothing praise-worthy about that though; it's easy to rack up NSDs when one has no energy to go out except on essential missions, and there's a plentiful supply of veg in the garden (mostly planted for me by a couple of winter visitors).
    "Garden" is perhaps no longer the right description for the wilderness which surrounds the Nest; I have not had the strength to undo Ex-Gardener's neglect (I forgave him, vastly overpaid him, but he lied and then stole from me so there was no choice but to terminate his employment, alas. I still feel very sad about that ending).

Eventually DS4 lost patience. He 'phoned with two pieces of wonderful news: A double-first [justifying his decision to rack up a relatively modest student loan], and notification of his imminent arrival!

We brushed the spiders gently out of camper-van, and went for a trial night away locally. CD amazed me; apparently quite happy to travel and potter about when we stopped. Maybe her vocal objections to being in the other van [**] were due to the fact that most of her trips out this year have ended at DV's clinic, being prodded, poked and stabbed (for blood tests)?

Plumber put on his Mechanic's hat to check camper-van's travel worthiness, resulting in a trip to the garage for a little preventative maintenance and a service - which wiped out all the cash saved by living parsimoniously over the last six months. Plumber was incandescent at the size of the bill when he saw they'd replaced some good parts while failing to fix the actual fault; must say communication between the booking-in chap and mechanic was appalling, especially given that this was at the regional main dealer.
    <sigh> Not very MSE but I just wanted to get out of there so paid up (after they replaced the faulty bearing!). Oh well.

The thought of driving all the way to the Chunnel filled me with trepidation - just don't have enough strength for such sustained effort these days, and DS4 hasn't held a full licence for long enough to be covered by insurance abroad.
    So I called the ferry company. Usually, pet-friendly cabins are booked up half a year in advance, but CD is still remembered (it's partly due to her Houdini behaviour in bygone days that pet-friendly cabins were introduced).
    Result: They found us a cabin on next week's boat!

Now I am [supposed to be] packing. Camper-van is parked in the village; CD and I slept there last night, and I started this diary to help m' poor-ol' brain-fogged mind keep track.
    The acquaintance who outed me at the beginning of the year has not been in touch since, although half a dozen RL mates around the World did express their regret that I'd given up my first MSE diary. So much for anonymity - have decided I really don't care, because the support of all you MSEers is of inestimable value..
    Last edited by *Robin*; 29-07-2016 at 1:20 PM.
Page 16
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 30th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 9,357 Posts
    • 118,614 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Wow what a lot of happenings

Hugs for pup and the rest of you
    Sun, Sea
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 30th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 8,400 Posts
    • 47,240 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Sorry to read of recent events. Thoughts are with you and your family Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December 1/5
    Lbs lost 10/107.
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 1st Oct 17, 7:06 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Ouuch grand pup, keep getting well, with get well hugs from the lurcher lad. So sorry you've been through the wars Robin and hope DS1 is ok after that awful shock, but what a relief itmust have been to be rid of that mahoosive loan.
    Glad to find you're back- looking forward to more updates when you have time and energy to post.
    Celebrating here today- the beaches are all open to dogs again, after the irritating summer dog ban. Off to stride out!
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 2nd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 7,755 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Sorry to hear of the all the traumatic events in recent weeks Robin. Thinking of you all.
    Hugs.
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £173,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 21st Oct 17, 3:14 AM
    • 7,746 Posts
    • 18,007 Thanks
    chevalier
    Hi Robin
    Have been thinking of you the last few days. Hope things are going better now.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 4th Nov 17, 5:27 AM
    • 7,746 Posts
    • 18,007 Thanks
    chevalier
    Hi Robin
    I hope that you are having a lovely time in the UK and that house situations have resolved.
    hugs
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 4th Nov 17, 9:12 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 3,661 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Another one thinking of you. Hope life is going smoothly for you all x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £17902 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 7th Dec 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 12,766 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Good morning MSE World,

It's been a long time.. Thank you to everyone who has thought kindly of self & Dear Dawg occasionally, am sure your good wishes helped me through the summer's troughs (there were quite a few!):
    I have been rather ill while getting my dodgy tooth sorted out; allergic reaction to antibiotics unleashed a cascade of new medical issues.
    The solicitors on both sides were making so many mistakes I dared not leave finishing off the various legal transactions in DS4's well-meaning but inexperienced hands - which was the right decision as it turned out.
    Had to delay our long journey South three times - once on the morning of departure - due to problems with the van (have no suitable words for the garage which MOTd it with a fault that would have killed us before we got to the ferry - had told them about the symptom when they checked it beforehand, but my misgivings were dismissed).

On the plus side; have sorted out new POAs, van should now be fit for the next 10,000 miles, it's been lovely spending time with DS4 - and earlier with DS3, GGF and Grandpup (who is once again bouncing around, fully recovered from his terrible ordeal).
    Got Musketeer DNA tested, which has confirmed my suspicion; he does have the faulty Dalmation gene [from one grandparent] that means he's at life-long risk of developing crystals in his urine - he is indeed a lucky dawg to have found himself a new home where it will be monitored and problems hopefully avoided (through good diet and the appropriate supplements).

Now it's time to brave today's inclement weather and go for a walk, before setting off on the road again - have a camp-site booked tonight but must arrive before dark.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 7th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 5,126 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Robin

So nice to see you back on here again... strangely enough, I was thinking of you just the other night and some other folks who haven't been around the board recently

Hugs to you and the dawgs
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Dec 17, 9:17 PM
    • 8,400 Posts
    • 47,240 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great to have you back Robin! You’ve been a big miss Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December 1/5
    Lbs lost 10/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Dec 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 28,168 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Another one who thought about you today and hoped all was ok. So pleased you're ok, good to hear from you xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 8th Dec 17, 4:46 AM
    • 7,746 Posts
    • 18,007 Thanks
    chevalier
    HI Robin
    really glad to hear from you though to the van problem. That is awful. glad you have been able to confirm your suspicions re the dog. Good on you for keep him an eye on him.

Hope things are more settled for you now. Are you on the way to the nest, or back there yet?
    cheers
    chev
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 8th Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Yay Robin you’re back! Safe travels, may the van run smoothly for you and hope you’ve not got the freezing high winds we’re getting oop north. How many dogs are you travelling with? Just Musketeer or is grand pup on his travels too? Glad you’re back, was worried - you’d been quiet for a loooong time x
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 8th Dec 17, 7:29 AM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 28,215 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Great to hear from you stay safe on your travels.

MM and Miss Border Collie.
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 9th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 12,766 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello from the Ocean Waves!

Aww, thank you everyone for being so kind, saying I've been missed in Diaryworld. Fuzzy warm feelings..
    Am very sorry to have been absent for so long, but when too tired m' brain turns to mush and I can sometimes not even speak coherently, let alone type.

Chev - thank you for your pm, much appreciated.
    Yes, we're on our way South at last, although I may not move back into the Nest - New Neighbours are champing at the bit to buy it, DS3 has been looking at alternative more manageable properties for me, and so it may be less of a wrench if Dear Dawg and I stay in camper-van while all the changes take place. Haven't decided yet - mind you, I haven't even chosen which route South we are going to take when we get off the ferry; depends how the weather forecast looks as I'd rather like to have a mosey around Galicia and North Portugal - who knows, the perfect summer hideaway could be there somewhere (have still got DH's cottages just up the road from the Nest, although would prefer to stay in the village whose delightful inhabitants have taken our family into their hearts).

Dansmam - reckon I got out just in time, again. Weather looks pretty bad in the UK for the next few days at least - living in a camper isn't ideal when it's snowing!
    Just travelling with Musketeer this trip, Grandpup joined his parents a few weeks ago (GGF's Dad took him, they flew).
    M has had a wonderful time at Dogs' Club on the boat, and thoroughly approves of the pet-friendly cabins. Ha - we almost had a disaster on the way in though, as the people in the cabin next door were having trouble getting their key-card to work. We squeezed past, M in front, then saw they had a cage full of rats on the floor behind them - M has very definite opinions about rats so I practically had to drag him past them (the cage looked pretty flimsy)!

Ah - time to stop and post this - we're being called to put the dogs back in our vehicles. It's pouring with rain outside, no sign of the coast yet but heigh ho..
    Last edited by *Robin*; 10-12-2017 at 7:49 AM.
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 9th Dec 17, 3:53 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 3,661 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Safe travels to you and M.. lovely to 'see' you posting here again
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £17902 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 10th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 12,766 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Good morning MoneySavers,

Well, so much for Robin and Musketeer escaping winter!
    ..The Spanish Met Office put out a severe weather warning for Galicia and the Northern Spanish mountains last night. This, coupled with several FB messages from folk in our "home" village, urging me to get back there a.s.a.p, decided the issue of which route to take.
    Didn't get as far along the road as I'd have preferred - darkness, fog and sleet saw to that - but quite by chance we ended up in a pretty sheltered spot; at the back of a petrol station / bar complex which appears to have been built in an old quarry. We're even under cover; they have open-sided shelters tall enough for HGVs, so as all but two were vacant that's where I pulled up.
    The mountains around us are covered in snow, and there are also large heaps of the stuff piled up around the parking area where the tarmac has been cleared. Musketeer was very wary last night when he discovered his paws sinking in to the strange, freezing surface!
    Dawn was a gloomy, foggy affair today, but ten minutes of camper-van's heating on full blast has pushed the temperature inside up from a nose-chilling 8'C to a toasty 20'C, although I've still brought m' first cuppa back to bed where am writing this update. M only moved from his place at the foot-end to snuggle up next to me, he's in no hurry to look outside this morning!

The weather is set to deteriorate this afternoon, so I've found an open camp site about eighty miles South where hopefully they'll have room for us to wait out the worst of the incoming storm - our van is tall enough for me to be very wary of 100kmh winds! Especially as last night's drive took more energy than I had available - woke up headachy and twitchy enough to reach for painkillers already.
    So it goes - nil desperandum!

Right; breakfast, more tea, a quick trot around outside for M, fill up with fuel to thank our hosts for their hospitality and we'll get on our way.
    • Dansmam
    • By Dansmam 10th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    Dansmam
    Morning Robin- I was about to suggest a couple of Portuguese stopovers, but see you’re sensibly adjusting plans to the weather! Icy here but no snow - as yet anyway. Lurcherlad’s had his coat on for the first time this winter - he hates wearing it but it stops him shivering. May the van stay cosy and run smoothly to your next stop, ooh look a van emoji ��
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 28,168 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    A work colleague moved to northern Spain just a few weeks ago. It's done nothing but snow since he arrived!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 11th Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    • 9,357 Posts
    • 118,614 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Robin

Please take care on your tavels get in some where out of the snow and icy if you can,or just stay parked up and warm

Best wishes to you and M

Kaz
    Sun, Sea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,623Posts Today

8,932Users online

Martin's Twitter