Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Byanymeans
    • By Byanymeans 7th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Byanymeans
    Esa will be able to claim after universal credit claim
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    Esa will be able to claim after universal credit claim 7th Dec 17 at 2:46 PM
    Hi guys ive just this week been released from a metal hospital after 2 years. Im not familiar with universal credit. Now i want to claim universal credit because im temporarily staying in shared accomadation whilst supported accomadation gets sorted.
    In hospital i was claiming esa 125 pound a week. Now i will be 50 pound worse off under universal credit i know i can claim pip but that will put about same again.
    The question is since suported accomadation dosent come under universal credit will i be able to claim esa again when im in supported accomadation.
    Last edited by Byanymeans; 07-12-2017 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Descrepency
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    • 16,593 Posts
    • 29,041 Thanks
    Ames
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:15 PM
    It depends where you live. If you live in what's called a 'full service area' then you have to claim Universal Credit. If you're just in a 'live' area then you'll have to claim ESA.

You can check here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-full-service-and-live-service
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 7th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    Hi guys ive just this week been released from a metal hospital after 2 years. Im not familiar with universal credit. Now i want to claim universal credit because im temporarily staying in shared accomadation whilst supported accomadation gets sorted.
    In hospital i was claiming esa 125 pound a week. Now i will be 50 pound worse off under universal credit i know i can claim pip but that will put about same again.
    The question is since suported accomadation dosent come under universal credit will i be able to claim esa again when im in supported accomadation.
    Originally posted by Byanymeans
    First of all your ESA payment doesn't make sense.

How old are you?

Have you had a work capability assessment and been put into a group? WRAG or Support group?

When did you first claim ESA? Are you still in the assessment phase?

Check your ESA award letter and tell us exactly what it says.

Presumably you are wanting to claim the housing element of universal credit for your shard accommodation?

Bit more information please.

Then we can determine what kind of ESA you are on and how to move forward.
    • Byanymeans
    • By Byanymeans 7th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Byanymeans
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    Yes im trying to claim because of the housing issue.
    If your put under a section three you get full esa benefits i dont have the letter but i was previously in a support group when got sectioned and reapplyed due too a remand in prison the money stayed the same so im guessing im still in the support group.
    As i said id been in hospital for 2yrs. So i doubt im in an assesment phase.
    Last edited by Byanymeans; 07-12-2017 at 3:45 PM. Reason: Needed editing
    • Byanymeans
    • By Byanymeans 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Byanymeans
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    Universal credit
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    Im in full service area.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 7th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    You should be receiving £127.15 per week. Do you?

Are you under 25 which would account for your financial loss when transferring to UC?

Will check out the supported housing issue.

By the way, haven't you got a support worker who should be sorting this all out for you?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 7th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    From what I can discover those living in Supported Housing have to make a separate claim for housing benefit as it is outside the remit of Universal Credit.

However, since you are going to be applying for UC because of your current housing costs then there is not a way you can revert to a legacy benefit - i.e your old ESA claim once you are on Universal Credit.

Having said that you might benefit from some professional advice - CAB/your Support worker regarding this as your current situation seems to be temporary and may have some bearing on your being able to remain on ESA and HB.

Not a situation that I have met before, sorry.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 07-12-2017 at 4:10 PM.
    • Byanymeans
    • By Byanymeans 7th Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Byanymeans
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    Hi no i dont have one yet (support worker) ive been doing everything myself. I got released on tribunal discharge so was made homeless. And no after care so far, apart from care co ordinator. The assertive outreach team are coming tommorow so i will see what they say.
    It must be 127 pounds.
    Im over 25.
    Im not sure what there gona do i know the universal credit aquivilant of esa "support group Limited capability for work and work-related activity" is £318 a month.
    Although to be fair i did read esa claims which where active before joining universal credit would go untouched. Although the women at the jobcentre seems to think it will change. Whether this goes down or up im not sure. Since i did read somewhere they can go up.
    Maybe i will change my post.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 7th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    When you claim Universal Credit you should receive the following:

£317.82 standard allowance for single over 25 plus
    £318.76 limited capability for work and work related activity
    Total = £636.58 every 4 weeks.

On transfer to UC you will retain your 'support group' component.

So you should be better off on UC.

You should also receive a housing element for your shared accommodation.

When you move to supported housing you will have to make a separate claim for HB.

This might get a little complicated so if you experience any difficulties please make sure you contact CAB or a welfare advisor for some help.

Good luck.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 07-12-2017 at 4:45 PM. Reason: corrected amount
    • Byanymeans
    • By Byanymeans 7th Dec 17, 4:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Byanymeans
    Thanks for the advice.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 7th Dec 17, 9:37 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    epitome
    ESA Support Group is £125.55 Don't know where £127.15 came from

UC will pay more than ESA, you will stay in the suppport grup but will be reassessed on UC.

Being in Hospital more than 12 months is supposed to reduce ESA to £73.10 a week, so either ESADWP did not realise you were in hospital or Mental hospital is not treated the same as mainstream hospital. (but I'd go with the first reason).

If you claim UC you cannot go back onto ESA, but if you stay in Support Group you will be better off anyway.
    Last edited by epitome; 08-12-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    ESA Support Group is £125.55 Don't know where £127.15 came from

UC will pay more than ESA, you will be reassessed on UC.

Being in Hospital more than 12 months is supposed to reduce ESA to £73.10 a week, so either ESADWP did not realise you were in hospital or Mental hospital is not treated the same as mainstream hospital. (but I'd go with the first reason).

If you claim UC you cannot go back onto ESA, but if you stay in Support Group you will be better off anyway.
    Originally posted by epitome
    Sorry, you are correct. £125.55 - looking at next year's rates!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,242Posts Today

7,459Users online

Martin's Twitter