Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,711Posts
    • 11,815Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 66
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 4th Dec 17, 7:11 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    orangecrush
    Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been away for so long. We've had nightmare building works going on, I've been ill, and our poor newbie has still not recovered from her fight with the Chunk and we've been in and out of the vets a lot lately.

We have made the decision to have Rusty (the newbie) put to sleep this week. She's had two rounds of surgery to drain and clear the abscess, she's been on maximum antibiotics for 6 weeks, and it keeps coming back. Her feathers aren't coming back after a big moult and she is losing weight. She sleeps a lot during the day. I don't think she can fight the infection anymore. I am heartbroken as she is a darling. She has beautiful brown eyes and is so lovely and cuddly. She always goes for my ring too, Edwink!

We are going to take her later this week. For now she is enjoying mealworms and porridge but I don't think it will be long before the abscess starts to obstruct her airway, and we can't allow her to suffer. I'm dreading it as I'm pregnant and a hormonal wreck.

In happier news Chunk and our other newbie get on very well. I don't know if I can keep on looking after hens though - they are so fragile, but make such a huge impact and it is awful when they go.

I'm so sorry to hear so many of you have had losses lately, too. It's so rotten.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 6th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Orangecrush

What a difficult situation for you to be in. Wanting to do the best for your little hen and having to perhaps let her go back to the vets for one last time. It does appear from what you have said that you have tried to sort this abscess problem out with a lot of antibiotics and the 2 lots of surgery to drain it. So I don't think there is a lot else you can do with her abscess being so persistent and dragging your poor little hens health and immune system down at the same time. I am sure your vet will advise you on what is best to do for your little hen so she doesn't continue to suffer.

Like others on here our girls had a late and quite severe moult this year. Your poorly hen will struggle to grow her feathers back before the much colder weather as her body is under assault trying to fight this persistent infection. Hence the possible reason for her sleeping a lot as she is probably so worn out with two major things happening with her body especially at this time of year. Growing new feathers whilst fighting infection is not going to be easy for her little body to cope with.

Please don't let this put you off of keeping hens as this sort of thing rarely happens. You have just been so unlucky in that the situation resulted in a nasty abscess on your poor little hen. When we introduce hens here sometimes I have to walk away when they start to fight and come back a few minutes later as I hate seeing them fighting for the top spot. That's what they call the pecking order because there is always a top hen that rules the roost no matter how many hens you keep. Once they have established their pecking order things settle down. We personally have not witnessed "serious" injuries whilst the pecking order is being established with ours here.

Being pregnant is not going to help how you are feeling at the moment. When I lost my very first hen all those years ago I rang the rescue centre in floods of tears and I mean floods because I thought it was something I had done wrong because this little hen was only with us for 6 months when she went to hen heaven. To us caring hen keepers it is like loosing a best friend because no matter how long they are with us for we get so attached to them.

Don't beat yourself up over all of this but enjoy and spoil your hens and enjoy being a new mum with your new baby.

All the best

Edwink x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 8 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Dec 17, 2:36 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,616 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Maybe the guy that knits these for injured penguins could knit some for poorly featherless chucks?

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • edwink
    • By edwink 6th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    As a rule these jackets are made for frail almost bald ex battery hens because coming from a warm environment to then being kept outside is quite a shock for these frail little hens. With hardly any feathers some hens need some extra help to keep them warm in the early days whilst their feathers are trying to grow back.

And finally these.........
    Aww Bless these ladies having a good old natter whilst knitting them.

Lots more of these online plus also the actual knitting patterns if they are to be knitted or patterns to make them out of fleece or similar warm material.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,616 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Aw! Bless!

So, we have a flock of old choocks knitting for flocks of old choocks!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 7th Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    orangecrush
    Edwink thank you for your lovely kind words. We have accepted now that it's the right time for her to go - she is now wheezing, and the abscess is starting to put pressure on her eye. She's on painkillers and antibiotics, and we're spoiling her with lots of treats, but the appointment for the vet is made for tomorrow.

I've spent much of the week feeling like a failure for not being able to help her, but the vet said that chickens are such fragile creatures... not bred for longevity or disease resistance because they are never expected to have long lives :/ It makes me a bit sad that they seem to be so disposable! But at least there are people like us on this board who care for their welfare.

I LOVE the chicken jumpers! They are so sweet. I imagine poor ex batts coming out at this time of year would get a terrible shock It's so chilly and windy at the best of times, let alone without many feathers.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    I've spent much of the week feeling like a failure for not being able to help her, but the vet said that chickens are such fragile creatures... not bred for longevity or disease resistance because they are never expected to have long lives :/ It makes me a bit sad that they seem to be so disposable! But at least there are people like us on this board who care for their welfare.
    Originally posted by orangecrush
    Hi Orangecrush

To be honest I have felt the same at times. You need to look back on what you have done for her before she became poorly and after. All the treatments you have provided for her which your vet has obviously recommended. The time you have spent with her and giving her extra treat food and her medication the same as we do when one of ours is really poorly. Once you do actually look back a realise all you have done you will then realise that you are not a failure at all. Most caring hen keepers would do exactly as you have done. Personally myself I have done all you have and one of mine had to be taken to the vets for her very last time. When she as put to sleep she looked so peaceful and immediately I saw that she was no longer suffering so I knew there and then it was the right thing for us to do. Bless her.

I truly hope that you do continue to keep hens because the world needs loving caring hen keepers like you. Especially hen keepers that care enough to take their poorly hens to the vets instead of just ending the hens life themselves without at least trying some medication first.

All the best

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 07-12-2017 at 7:00 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,616 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Edwink thank you for your lovely kind words. We have accepted now that it's the right time for her to go - she is now wheezing, and the abscess is starting to put pressure on her eye. She's on painkillers and antibiotics, and we're spoiling her with lots of treats, but the appointment for the vet is made for tomorrow.

(((((((((Orangecrush)))))))))))

Hi Orangecrush

To be honest I have felt the same at times. You need to look back on what you have done for her before she became poorly and after. All the treatments you have provided for her which your vet has obviously recommended. The time you have spent with her and giving her extra treat food and her medication the same as we do when one of ours is really poorly. Once you do actually look back a realise all you have done you will then realise that you are not a failure at all. Most caring hen keepers would do exactly as you have done. Personally myself I had done all you have and one of mine had to be taken to the vets for her very last time. When she as put to sleep she looked so peaceful and immediately I saw that she was no longer suffering so I knew there and then it was the right thing for us to do. Bless her.

I truly hope that you do continue to keep hens because the world needs loving caring hen keepers like you. Especially hen keepers that care enough to take their poorly hens to the vets instead of just ending the hens life themselves without at least trying some medication first.

All the best

Edwink x
    Originally posted by edwink

All capitals not allowed)
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• vjm63
    • By vjm63 7th Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    vjm63
    So sorry, Orangecrush, that you are having such a rough time at the moment - You have done the best you possibly could and have given her a fabulous life, so do not be down about it. As Edwink has said, she probably simply would not be able to cope with the infection and everything- you did all you could.

We all feel bad when one of the girls has to go - I know I was in total tears when our first girl died from being egg-bound. Vet trip and operation, then so many cuddles and talking to her, and worrying overnight - but it actually was for the best because she would only have had the same problem happen again, the vet said.

You have done what you can - please accept some virtual hugs from me ... ((((Orangecrush))))
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 8th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    orangecrush
    Edwink, Pyxis and vjm63 - thank you all for being so lovely and for the virtual hugs!! The deed is done, and I actually wasn't too upset. This morning Rusty was really tired, she woke up for a bit of porridge then went back to sleep. She slept all the way to the vet and was even sleeping when the vet took her away.

Our vet is truly lovely, and was so supportive. She is really knowledgeable about chickens and birds, so we know we did everything we could!

We are going to stick with our two other ladies for now... I don't fancy doing any more introductions just yet!! We are planning a bigger walk in run so I may change my mind next year I do love all their funny little habits and noises.

On to happier subjects!

How are you all keeping your hens warm? We have an eglu, and last year it seemed warm enough, but this year the ladies seem to spend more time inside during the day. We did move the run further down the garden to let them get a bit more sun to keep them warm, but the downside is they are more exposed to wind. They look so funny when they are windswept, but I don't think they enjoy it!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,616 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Edwink, Pyxis and vjm63 - thank you all for being so lovely and for the virtual hugs!! The deed is done, and I actually wasn't too upset. This morning Rusty was really tired, she woke up for a bit of porridge then went back to sleep. She slept all the way to the vet and was even sleeping when the vet took her away.

Our vet is truly lovely, and was so supportive. She is really knowledgeable about chickens and birds, so we know we did everything we could!

We are going to stick with our two other ladies for now... I don't fancy doing any more introductions just yet!! We are planning a bigger walk in run so I may change my mind next year I do love all their funny little habits and noises.

On to happier subjects!

How are you all keeping your hens warm? We have an eglu, and last year it seemed warm enough, but this year the ladies seem to spend more time inside during the day. We did move the run further down the garden to let them get a bit more sun to keep them warm, but the downside is they are more exposed to wind. They look so funny when they are windswept, but I don't think they enjoy it!
    Could you perhaps put some screens up along the windward side of the run? Rolled bamboo screens or somesuch? To make it a bit more sheltered?

This sort of thing........very light and portable........

Last edited by Pyxis; 08-12-2017 at 3:52 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 8th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    Great idea Pyxis for the wind shelter for Orangecrushes girls.

Orangecrush your little hen is now at peace and no longer suffering bless her little heart (((HUGS)))

I suppose even a windbreaker that people use on beaches would also do the trick if you have one of those Orangecrush. Maybe ask friends and family if they have something you could use/borrow to help. Just a couple of polls with some fabric pulled across would keep some if not all the wind off of them. I would try anything this year as the chilly weather is well on its way now. Then sometime next year you can sort something as a more permanent wind breaker that you just easily clip on in some way.

Our girls hotel now has Polystyrene around the back and on one exposed side. We fix it in place with bungee straps every year just before the weather starts to turn chilly for them. Their hotel is covered in chicken wire all over including the roof so that way we can attach the bungee straps easily each time. The only reason their hotel is covered in chicken wire is that it is not actually inside their caged area but to the side. We back on to woods so we have to do everything we can here to keep our girls safe and stop any foxes from getting in at night.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 08-12-2017 at 8:00 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    They look so funny when they are windswept, but I don't think they enjoy it!
    You are so right Orangecrush hens really do not like the windy weather in fact they absolutely hate it. They will stay in their hut or just mope about huddled up all day.

How about a bit of hen exercise for them. You know a bit of hen boogieing. That would help to keep them warm wouldn't it ??????

Not sure what this dance is called but it certainly looks like it is exercising every muscle for this funny looking hen.

Right off to see if I can find something else that is totally mind bogglingly silly. All in aid of keeping hens warm you understand.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 08-12-2017 at 6:03 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 8th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    This little hen looks like she is going for gold to keep warm

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 08-12-2017 at 6:11 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,616 Thanks
    Pyxis
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 10th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    What a day here for my elderly girls. None of them would venture out of their hotel until lunchtime and then only 3 of them came out and perched in their outdoor hut.

We scrape the floor of their hotel every morning but couldn't do it today because of all the little bodies in there. I was concerned that they wouldn't get enough food so we put their feeding trough in their hotel for them. As soon as we did that they launched themselves at the pellets and porridge we gave them.

Out ducks came out of their hut only to just sit underneath it all day. They didn't even venture out for some treat food so we had to put their treats in a bowl and give it to them under their hut.

I think we had about a least 6 inches of snow here today and it is blooming freezing outside. When our hens went to bed tonight the Cockerel and 3 hens were huddled up in the large nesting box and the other 5 hens were all cosy together on the perches.

Did anyone have the same sort of day that my feathered friends had or did yours brave the elements and venture out ?

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 10-12-2017 at 9:37 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 11th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    It was a much better day here for my girls today. Although it was still really cold out they did venture out of their coop today. The temperature down here is due to hit -5 or so from midnight so today we managed to collect the hens and the Cockerel up to cover their combs in Vaseline as this sensitive part can actually freeze due to the soft tissue. So that was a good job done today and much easier than other years as we have so many less hens than in previous years.

Because we are due a huge drop in temperature tonight we have pinned an old duvet to the inside walls of their hotel to help try and keep them warmer. Some of them including the Cockerel are snuggling up in the nesting box so there are less bodies and heat up on the perching bars. We have also tucked another old duvet around and on top the long nesting box to help those keep warm that are choosing to sleep in there.

At the moment it is actually -3 here so we hope that our efforts today will give them a much better night.

How is every one else getting on with their girls and this rather chilly weather?

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 11-12-2017 at 9:11 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Dec 17, 5:19 AM
    • 31,091 Posts
    • 114,616 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Would using bubble-wrap be any good?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 12th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    Itís so cold!
    Mine will not venture out of the barn, they all bundled out this morning from the coop, but theyíre now all huddled up looking outside at the ice. The door to the barn was frozen shut this morning so it took a while to get unstuck.

I drape and tuck covers over the coop and pack it full of straw and newspapers to keep their feet warm. I think Iíll start hot water bottles again before I go to bed, that seemed to help last year.

The other thing that Iíll have to do today is fix the door to the coop. Itís not latching properly, I noticed last night when I was closing them up but it was pitch black and freezing so I couldnít do anything to fix it.

One good thing is that the temperature seems to have stopped them moulting and they all look better for it. Their duvets have grown back.
    Poor little hens.
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Dec 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    edwink
    Would using bubble-wrap be any good?
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Yes bubble wrap would also do the trick. That's a good suggestion Pyxis.

Luckily the temperature is going to rise today.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter