Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 4th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    • 4,670Posts
    • 35,867Thanks
    DawnW
    What small moneysaving things will you do this week? W/C 4 December
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you do this week? W/C 4 December 4th Dec 17 at 8:51 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 57/31

Page 3
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 6th Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 19,863 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Congratulations, princess_pea, how exciting!

Four of my eBay items sold, three at the £5 starting price and one for £12.

I managed to get 17 job ads today, I'm still waiting for them all to be verified to find out how much they've earned me. I was going to stop in two smaller towns on my way back but it started racing and was beginning to get dark so maybe another day.

I'm all of a quandary with what to do re the washing machine, I'm thinking now I could stick with the one I've ordered and move the tumble drier to under my desk for emergencies (it's only a small one) and rig up a rail in the alcove above the radiator to dry stuff on (which hopefully won't take too long with a 1600 spin speed.) The thing is though that this is my once in a lifetime(hopefully!) opportunity to replace with a washer/dryer and then my kitchen will look so much better and not need reconfiguring. Except the only washer/dryer with good reviews is nearly twice as much as the washing machine alone and I've used one before in a rental property and it was rubbish, nothing ever seemed to get properly dry and the cycles are really long.

What's the sensible thing to do?
    Make £5 a day in December £54.94/£310 (November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 6th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 35,867 Thanks
    DawnW
    Congratulations Princess Pea, how exciting
    FVD I must confess I have never had a washer drier, or a drier, come to that. But they are bound to be better now than when you lived in rented accommodation (I assume quite a long time ago, as you moved a while back from a house you also owned?). I would check Which in the library, look online for reviews etc before you make your mind up. My instinct would be to get the washer drier, if the reviews etc are ok, as it sounds as though that is your preference for the configuration of your space? And you could presumably sell the separate tumble drier to recoup some of the extra money?

Well, you won't believe this, but I have had to put some chicken stock INTO the freezer today If I get something out, I seem to have to put at least one thing back in
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 57/31

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Dec 17, 6:38 AM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 38,129 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning quick one for me as work today

* take lunch & snacks
    * make note of mileage
    * use dry shampoo rather than washing
    * hang up washing & put in another load
    * bake banana bread & cake & olive bread this evening
    * soup for tea
    * knitting tonight - on to heel flap
    * early night

Gosh that's all I can think of! But sure there will be lots of little bits along the way!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 12,993 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all sorry for being awol... RL still busy if a bit calmer and trying not to spend loads of time on line. Few things:

DD packed lunch
    Got some ys items for freeze yesterday operation use up going south. As soon as I knew DNMS had won Iíve just gone all out
    Although, I will get something out for tea
    Snacks to work
    Radiator shuffle when roads are on
    Friend collecting smalls from school saving after school fees
    Send an email cancelling after school club from January, moving to a CM, saving loads.
    Gave some gifts to my mum that need posting, she will put with hers
    Wrote cards, using last years stash
    Wrapped about half my presents still on last years stash of paper
    Did treat myself to another wrapping paper store, my (7 year old one) broke last week. I find keeping everything together and upright saves emergency buys and damage in the long run (plus new one is prettier than the last )

Right must dash off to drop smalls and School and then go to a meeting, taking hot drink for commute.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 35,867 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Still no new grand baby - to be fair it isn't due till tomorrow but its poor mum has been having contractions on and off for days and keeps having to see the midwife. All ok apparently, just messing about! DD keeps taking her dogs for vast expeditions in the countryside, which worries me a bit but cheers her up.

Anyway, baby permitting, todays plans are:
    Dog walks x 2 One, done, OH did the other only round the block, but he hasn't left the house except for trips to the doctor's for over a month. So glad he is getting better but still waiting to find out what caused his really nasty back condition.
    Fold washing from airer and put away, nicely dry today after a night in front of the wood burner (even though we let it go out before bed, it stays warm for ages). It doesn't even need a turn in the airing cupboard Done
    Not much cooking needed as we still have an untouched quiche in the fridge, made a couple of days ago
    Look through fridge and check whether anything needs using, or
    () putting in the freezer some limes that were lurking in the veg drawer - needed one, had to buy a net in Lidls They will get used, but not helping with operation empty freezer!
    Hair appointment today, so won't be another NSD Done
    Take some stuff to the CS while I am out. I have a couple of coats and some books to go Took 1 coat and 3 books, books were heavy and I walked. The other coat can probably go tomorrow!
    Bought some more Christmas cards from the local hospice charity shop, a few bits in Iceland (paid all except 85p with shopping vouchers from RM surveys) and a few Christmas decorations (10.50 spent on these)
    Will walk to hairdressers for free exercise, if it stops pouring with rain! Done
    Some cleaning (bathroom floor, I am looking at you!) and tidying Cleaned bathroom, hoovered rugs downstairs, tidied a few things away, put up some pretty lanterns
    Check for surveys A couple for onepoll so far

Hope everyone has a nice day
    Last edited by DawnW; 07-12-2017 at 6:06 PM.
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 57/31

• dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 7th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Well done Princess Pea! 👏
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • Pauper1
    • By Pauper1 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    Pauper1
    Congratulations PrincessPea

Today has been another NSD. DS and I shared a bath, made some banana muffins with some very ropey looking bananas, had the heating off once we were dressed, and did a couple of PA surveys, but that's about it money-saving wise. Have a lovely evening all.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £22,850 £39,349.41 Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... Aiming for 1st Nov 2026
    Priorities changed, sold our house, going through the settlement process and hope to be debt free by Christmas 2017
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 7th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 5,615 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Evening all,

Congrats on the new house Princess Pea!

Late check in for me as I've been out most of the day but its been a nice day spending time with my parents and sister

Todays list
    * Ys bread for ds1;s breakfast
    * Free breakfast at school for ds2
    * Gym done and refilled water bottle there
    * Breakfast with family at the harvester, my parents insisted on paying and I came away with my doggy bag with 2 sausages in that I didn't want with my breakfast, these have been used with some rice, leftover sweetcorn and a couple of frozen cubes of thai curry sauce for the kids tea.
    * Ds1's phone is currently sitting in a ziplock bag of rice at the minute after he got it wet, keeping fingers crossed that it recovers, have pulled out an old spare phone that we had yrs ago but the sim card is too small for it, I've ordered a free sim from g1f gaff so that I can hopeful use to take out its tiny sim and put ds's sim in as this old phone takes one of the original size big sims.
    * Washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash
    * Checked banking/updated spreadsheets
    * Meal planned for tomorrow to include using something up from the freezer
    * Made up more of the ys semolina to go with some stewed berries
    * Ironed only what needed doing and hung the rest straight away
    * A p1necone survey done

Still to do
    ** Radiator shuffle washing before it goes on in the morning
    ** Write a few more xmas cards
    ** Cook tea from stores for dh & I
    ** Share bath water and continue using up lotions and potions inc facewash and moisturiser for men that dh doesn't like! Not going to waste!

That's about it

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 18,473 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Penny Savers,
    Everything on my list today took twice as long as expected so I decided to kick the ironing off the list until tomorrow. Moneysaving bits today:
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water.
    *Let my hair dry naturally instead of messing about with (& paying to use) the dryer.
    *Did an interesting Prolific Academic survey.
    *Baked a sourdough loaf.
    *Strained & bottled my home made blackberry & pear vodka. Oooh, yumyumslurp!
    *Then strained & bottled the blackberrry whisky I've made for mr f's bday. Also enough for a small bottle to give as a gift.
    *Froze the leftover boozy fruit - we like this as a rather alcoholic dessert on meringues with ice cream.
    *Made mr f's birthday card, which I think will raise a smile.
    *Found old music score I don't want to turn into little origami Christmas trees. Managed to make one. Think will make more in various sizes for a festive winter mini forest.....well, maybe more of a small copse.....
    *Write shopping list - not yet done. Trying to summon the enthusiasm for it.
    *All free leisure today - played the piano, knit later on, 'Peaky Blinders' & enjoyed my audiobook.
    Just watching the weather forecast - looks like time to dig out my massive Peruvian cardi!
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 7th Dec 17, 8:51 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 3,326 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello Everyone!

So far this week I have

- Paid a chunk off CC, insurance money arrived for my new glasses and I managed to collect them on Monday
    - Made payment into Pension, as I feel this is important to do when I can.
    - Topped up the savings
    - Rounded down the mortgage
    - Couple of ebay sales
    - Food from stores, internet shop arrived this afternoon.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I have been reading and following 'freezer wars' on here!!
    Congratulations princess pea
    Weather not great here. I've got to got away for the weekend, we have no snow but the wind is bad. Thinking instead of travelling tomorrow I might have to do it first thing Saturday morning.
    Monies spent stocking up everything for the cats this morning and a couple of bits to tuck away for Christmas. Seem to be constantly spending at the minute but everything logged in my spends book.
    Found out that I have to go away for 2 nights in Jan for DD so will be saving every penny to put towards it.
    Have been getting a lot of paperwork done
    Must get some ironing done tomorrow.
    Have been getting last minute bits prepared for Prague aswell.
    Seem to have been constantly doing bits and running errands but I couldnt tell you what.
    Still have a couple of Christmas cards to hand out but everything now posted, all bits posted for DD aswell.
    Banking all checked and everything good.
    Think thats about it from me.
    Have a great evening everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • Pauper1
    • By Pauper1 8th Dec 17, 6:43 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    Pauper1
    Well, baby brain has saved me some pennies today, although I didn't want to! I got confused with the days for DS's haircut and we were supposed to go yesterday! Gah. If our hairdresser can't fit us in within the next week I think I'll have to get DH to take him to the Turkish barbers tomorrow, he's looking a bit mulletty.

Today won't be a NSD as we have hospital carpark (and hopefully celebratory coffee) to pay for, but that should be it. I kept the heating off all of last night, which DH normally manages to complain about, but as I was up early I put it on again before he woke up. Hoping to do the same today!

I've checked the banks, updated my spreadsheets and completed a really interesting PA survey this morning. I need to phone o2 and arrange our rebate this morning, plus go through all my "to do" mail.

Have a lovely day, all.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £22,850 £39,349.41 Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... Aiming for 1st Nov 2026
    Priorities changed, sold our house, going through the settlement process and hope to be debt free by Christmas 2017
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Dec 17, 6:56 AM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 38,129 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Pauper does your dh want it on while you are asleep? I always turn ours off unless there is danger of pipes freezing and then it's only on a very low setting. I don't think it's needed or healthy even when we are under duvets!

princess pea - wow exciting news! Congrats

quick post for me managed to get everything on my list done yesterday (one of the advantages of setting the bar low! )

My olive bread came out ok, although not as olive-y tasting as I wanted! Any suggestion bakers?

today:

* soup and fruit for work
    * make note of mileage
    * going to a friend's after picking up madam taking giganties plaki & olive bread made last night
    * tempted to go for a run when I get back rather than tomorrow morning...
    * have asked dd to pick up craft items for card making session tomorrow
    * have emailed cm re meeting up before xmas
    * check onepoll? probably not!
    * NSD? Very probably...
    * wrap ebay sale
    * knit heel flap this evening

Ok better go finish getting ready x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 35,867 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Brrr it is cold here today Nearly froze taking the dog out this morning!
    Today's small things:
    OH to dentist - he reckons he can go on his own. He is quite a lot better and ok driving, so hopefully he is right!
    Need to buy some milk and potatoes
    Post office with some ebay parcels
    List some more items
    Take some bits to sales unit as I have some small gaps
    Not thought about dinner for tonight - must get thinking cap on!
    Walk the dog again
    Cleaning, tidying and decluttering, trying to keep on top of it!
    Ring DD1
    Think about what to get for rest of Christmas presents
    Make a list of Christmas food - tricky as I don't know how many we are feeding, if we are going out etc. Decided to just get a modest amount of what we usually have. It won't get wasted whatever happens (though might get frozen )
    Finish writing Christmas cards (or get OH to) and post them
    Still no baby - DD2 getting very fed up - so I told her to go out and do something nice and Christmassy with little GD. She thought that a good idea. Her OH is home today and they had been thinking they might do that anyway
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 57/31

• angelflower
    • By angelflower 8th Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 7,007 Thanks
    angelflower
    Yesterday was one of the bigger days (sorting out DVLA and road tax after scrapping one car and buying a new car then changing my mind three days later, AND, new payment plan for mortgage arrears). Was a scary day so today its nice to focus on small stuff.

I keep forgetting about just how much the small things add up. This week has been quite poorly organised and has involved eating out and buying lunches rather than planned meals. Its left me feeling bloated, and poor. MEH!

However got a lovely gift in the mail today (peeps marshmallows which I adore), and I am off to get my prescription (Thank you NHS for free prescriptions and keeping my blood pressure under control).

Today:
    Make an appointment for gas engineer to check boiler as having to have it on 24 hours because pressure drops when on a timer and it doesn't come back on. With house shares now staying with me, I cant not have hot water on demand. Last gas engineer who came out said I had sludge in system and whole thing might need replaced!

Tonight:
    Eat food in house and meal plan for weekend
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 18,473 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Friday Frugalistas,
    Thought I may as well kick in today's efforts:
    *Woke up early so thought I may as well get up & do the ironing & straighten my hair while the electricity was still on cheap night time tariff.
    *Local farm stall on market for veg - potatoes, 2 bags onions, carrots, parsnips, Tuscan kale, sprouts - £5.
    *Local indie cake decorating shop was shut & it was too cold to wait outside for half an hour so had to change my plans for mr f's bday cake......think stuff I needed would have cost around £7. The cake I'm doing now will be iced with a colour I already have & decorated with something that cost me £1.56.
    *Avoided yellow sticker temptation in Waitrose. A vast selection but I don't buy ready meals & the meat was still more than I'm prepared to pay.
    *Picked up our free box of 12 Whiskas pouches.
    *Free coffees.
    *Avoided Festive Magazine Temptation.
    *Wrapped mr f's birthday & Christmas presents using lots of stuff from my recycled wrappings stash.
    *Successfully mended prehistoric dehumidyfier with.......elastic!!
    *Finish shopping list (not yet done).
    *Entered a competition.
    *mr f currently turning a big chunk of one of our homegrown squashes into butternut mac & cheese, which should do tomorrow too.
    *Refused to cave in to cat's demand for two dinners. Told him to eat his biscuitsbif he's hungry. He just looked at me like I was the biggest scrooge on the planet.
    *All free leisure activities today.....will knit later, start new novel (from charity shop), watch TV, read Guardian for free online, write my journal, etc.
    Saw lots of snowy cars this morning which had come in from the West side of the county. We've been upgraded to amber alert for snow here on Sun....could be 10cm apparently. Think I'll wait & see, but will try to find my ice treads just in case.
    Stay warm all,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 38,129 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning feeling quite chirpy after a couple of hours of awakeness and coffee

Have already sorted out the kitchen thoroughly and feeling pleased with myself as don't want to be spending the whole day cleaning!

* finish tidy/clean d/s
    * washing x 2. Putting away washing!
    * possible NSD
    * go for a run - going to have some toast then get ready and do this
    * wrap & post fleabay item
    * go hell for leather on socks - if I want to finish them by 25th ready need to finish 1st one this weekend
    * listen to audio book - jeez it's long!
    * madam and dd making xmas cards today
    * go for a woodland walk and collect holly & ivy to make wreath
    * wash & sew a Christmas jumper for madam - picked up in a cs for £2 for nativity but needs a little work
    * make pizza for lunch. Might make some bread as well

Ok that will do I think. Hope you all have a lovely day

Oh foxgloves I'm kinda a little jel of your snow - in theory that is! In practice I would hate it!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 35,867 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Brr, cold here again, but no snow!
    And no DD's baby either She is pretty fed up of waiting.
    My list for today:
    Dog walks x 2 (1 done)
    Wrapped 4 ebay parcels ready to post on Monday
    Listed a few more things
    Cleaned a filthy window panel thing above the dining room door - my house is Edwardian and has dirt catchers or 'period features' as described by the estate agent
    Made a big Thai green chicken curry. Half for tonight and half for another day
    Froze the rest of the curry paste in ice cube trays as it goes off if I just leave it in the fridge
    Write rest of Christmas cards and post using RM surveys stamps
    Write to aunt, and send a card to a cousin and her husband, as her mother in law has just died
    Get box of Christmas decorations down from loft
    Load of washing
    Check banks
    Note down what I spent yesterdayin my little black book!

Hope everyone is having a good day
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 57/31

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 9th Dec 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 18,473 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Afternoon Saturday People,
    Busy morning out shopping but home now & about to choose how to spend the rest of the day. Sensible money things so far:
    *Treated ourselves to breakfast out first thing. Paid using our December personal spends so no effect on budget.
    *Got most of our Christmas grocery shopping using our £60 nectar points - just had £17 cash to kick in. Stuck to list.
    *Visited local Co-op to use some generous vouchers for extra dividend. That has given us a new total of £23 to spend on food this month or new year.
    *Visited village farm shop to buy local honey, a sack of potatoes & a ham. It was their festive tastings day - free mulled wine, mince pies, sausage rolls, biscuits & loads of tasters. Sampled lots of nice things.
    *mr f is devoting this afternoon to researching mobile phone packages inc possible sim only deals. We are both out of contract so still effectively paying the amount which for 24 mths included cost of handset.
    *Change bed linen & wash. Not like me to run washer on full price daytime tariff but weather forecast is pretty bad for here overnight so I am going to have tge heated airer running in the conservatory to raise the temperature a degree or two.
    *Finish current knitting project. Had to frog the same 2 rows about 6 times last night before I suddenly spotted that I had knitted some cr*p & was able to correct it.
    *No downstairs heating on yet but I may cave in soon.
    Love to all,
    F x
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 9th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 5,615 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Evening all, its very cold here but no snow for us thankfully (although could see it all on the hills as we drove into town this morning) Hope everyone is keeping safe.

We've had a lovely day and a some of it was mse!!

* Had a lovely chilled morning, didn't get out of bed til 8.30 although we were all awake from about 6.45, but it was nice and warm in bed, the kids were reading/colouring in their rooms, me & dh read and it was just so nice to have a relaxed start, particularly after the mad weekend going up North last weekend.

* Breakfast was eggs on ys bread for toast

* Booked an online shop for tomorrow as we are having our annual rehearsal Christmas dinner to celebrate my parents wedding anniversary

* Went into town for dh & ds to have their contact lense check ups, we parked out of town so no parking costs. Ds is also getting new glasses for no charge as he's under 16. The ones he's getting are from the adult range instead of the young range so he was really happy. Whilst out we had a costal0t but used points card for one of the drinks, it was an unplanned spend but we were all so cold that it was a welcome spend! Whilst in town ds bought his secret santa gift for his form group at school, he was lucky enough to pick out his best friends name which made it an easy gift to choose!

* The free Gifgaff sim came which I was able to use the larger part of the sim and pop ds's current id sim into the middle so that he can use the very old Samsung phone. The phone he'd dropped into the water hasn't recovered yet so is still in a bag of rice in the airing cupboard.

* Tea tonight was using some potato waffles and chicken nuggets from the freezer, to help make room for Christmas. Kept back 4 waffles, which I'll use for a meal in the week for the kids. Also updated freezer inventory and wrote a new food plan up based on it.

* Settled down watching the Jungle under a blanket, will my (last years sales) Christmas memories yanke candle, which smells of ginger bread warming up the room. Then it will be time to binge watch more of The crown to make the most of this months Netfix subscription

I think that's it, have a lovely evening all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,291Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter