Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 68Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    Dispirited
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    Dispirited 5th Dec 17 at 1:50 PM
    Hey all

Sorry to have a moan but I just need a bit of a boost as the road to destination debt-free is feeling like such a slog. My partner is currently self employed but we get the feeling that the client may be looking to reduce or stop all hours as they are in financial difficultly themselves *sigh*!!! I have another job interview tomorrow which would be a pay rise so I am praying I get it to give us a boost or just take up the slack should my partner end up with no income.

Me and my partner are walking around in rags as we have stopped all clothes spending for about a year. I feel like a loser but I know paying the debts off is the best thing for our future. It just feels like such a lonely, gruelling task

Ty
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness"
Page 1
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 5th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    Couple of motivational considerations:-

1.0 work how much interest and bank charges you have saved so far

2.0 Work out how long it'll be till you are debt free and have some pictorial chart/image which you can use as a count down to being freee.

3.0 consider the positives of debt free and how much you can divert from debt repayment to savings and investments

4.0 start thinking of new life goals (once you are debt free) that can be put in monetary terms and start to think these through once debt free.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 5th Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 28,223 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    Good post enjoy your shoes, it's hard to keep sight of a bright future in the midde of the journey.

Can you ask for vouchers from NEXT or whichever shop you like for Xmas?
    Last edited by bugslet; 06-12-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 5th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    Thanks enjoyyourshoe and bugslet.

Enjoyyourshoes - my goal is to, apart from buying some new clothes etc, pay down the mortgage so I can afford to remortgage in 2020. You mention investments - I know nothing about this and it worries me. I have been listening/reading lots of stuff from the financial independence movement and it is very inspiring. I hope I get the chance work towards FI.

Buglet - excellent idea re vouchers for Christmas - would never have crossed my mind - thanks!
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness"
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scilly
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    Keep fighting the good fight! The fact you're so committed to being debt-free is brilliant! I'm sure you're very proud of yourselves. Keep on trucking!!!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:56 PM
    Me and my partner are walking around in rags as we have stopped all clothes spending for about a year.
    Originally posted by Unicorn cottage
    I doubt you are, I think you're being overly harsh. I'm wearing £5 Primark Jeans that are half a decade old and other than being a little bit faded are far from being rags.

So it isn't the current fashion, so what? Feeling that you have to be constantly buying clothes that lets face it you may have only wore once and actually didn't need other than vanity is part of the reason you got in the situation you're in. The world will not end and as long as they've not got holes in them they'll be just fine.
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:20 PM
    Tarambor - no no they are rags - we both have 1 set of jeans which we wear each day. I don't feel like I have to constantly buy new clothes but it would be nice to look smart and not on the breadline.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 7th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,467 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    Tarambor - no no they are rags - we both have 1 set of jeans which we wear each day. I don't feel like I have to constantly buy new clothes but it would be nice to look smart and not on the breadline.
    Originally posted by Unicorn cottage
    Could you not do a charity shop run on a budget, add some fun into it and get something that is new to you?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,623Posts Today

8,932Users online

Martin's Twitter