Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vics 1982
    • By vics 1982 5th Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 90Thanks
    vics 1982
    Card Machine
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    Card Machine 5th Dec 17 at 1:10 PM
    Hi All,

We have a small business selling paving slabs / concrete posts and fencing etc, we only accept cash or bank transfers at the moment but are getting asked about card payments more and more.

Can anyone recommend a good card reading machine that is mobile please?

A rough idea of cost would be great, out bank (Barclays) seem quite high

TIA,
    Vics
    Sainsbury CC - £1597.25 0% 18 mths left £37.57 Per month DD

Savings Goals 6500K / 10000K
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 5th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    some do it PAYG - iZettle for example.
    https://www.izettle.com/gb

You can install their app on your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and use the card reader to take payments. Initially its free, you just pay for the card reader and there are no ongoing fees, they just take 1.75% of the payments you put through it so if you go for two months without any card payments, you don't pay "rental" for those two months.
    • c-m
    • By c-m 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    c-m
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    One thing to watch out for with card/merchant accounts is the delay between a customer paying, and you getting the cash. With some of the new mobile payments, there can be a significant delay.

If it were me I go with Paypal since they are a big name all your customers will have heard of, so won't be fazed when you pull out this mini card reader. Of course, you need to choose something that suits your business needs.

It's a year old now, but this article covers some of popular mobile readers.
    http://moneysavinganswers.com/business/mobile-card-readers-accepting-debit-and-credit-cards/
    • phill99
    • By phill99 6th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 7,989 Posts
    • 7,225 Thanks
    phill99
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    I have used Worldpay Zinc for a number of years now. No set up costs, no contract and no monthly fees. They charge 2.75% on each transaction and that's the only cost you pay. Some months I will have no card payments and other months 4 or 5. So this works for me. You have a card reader that is linked via blue tooth to your mobile phone or ipad.

I found it easy to set up and the customer support is uk based and pretty decent
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    Paypal might be the best known solution and maybe the quickest (if you do a manual transfer) but they're far from being the cheapest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

1,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin