Transferring from H2B ISA To LISA

Hi, I opened a stocks and shares LISA on 19-04-17 with a £1 contribution. I wish to open a cash LISA and transfer my H2B ISA in to it, as well as my other savings. I have around £4000 in my H2B ISA at the moment and £3000 in a savings account.

Ideally I’m looking at purchasing a property next may/June so I don’t want to tie my cash up beyond that ken possible.

I have a couple of questions, If I open a cash LISA will I have to wait another year before I can claim the bonus or will it go from the 19-4-17? Also if I transfer before April next year does some of my savings not count towards the 4K limit? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,375
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, I opened a stocks and shares LISA on 19-04-17 with a £1 contribution. I wish to open a cash LISA
    First things first - you can only pay new money into one LISA per tax year, so if you've already contributed to an S&S one you need to ensure you transfer it to the cash one rather than simply opening the latter and paying in.
    Ideally I’m looking at purchasing a property next may/June so I don’t want to tie my cash up beyond that ken possible.

I have a couple of questions, If I open a cash LISA will I have to wait another year before I can claim the bonus or will it go from the 19-4-17?
    The minimum period of one year to hold a LISA is unrelated to bonus payment so you'll receive 25% of whatever is in the LISA as at the end of the tax year within about a month. Changing LISA providers doesn't reset the clock so you'll be able to use your LISA money from 19 April 2018.
    Also if I transfer before April next year does some of my savings not count towards the 4K limit?
    Yes - HTB money paid in before the current tax year (and interest earned but not paid by then) is exempt, but everything else counts towards the £4K limit. The £4K limit resets on 6 April 2018 though, so you can pay in anything you have left from then, and you'd get the bonus the following month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure