Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 514Posts
    • 2,727Thanks
    redofromstart
    <<<out of cheese error>>>
    • 31st Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    <<<out of cheese error>>> 31st Jul 17 at 7:37 PM
    New name, new diary, new approach! I regularly read, and sometimes post, on the diaries of others but haven't started one myself as it is such a public thing to do. Anyway I need to stop drifting and get our finances back on track before we run out of cheese.

Family is:
    Me - PT, self employed, bit of this bit of that. Currently on a PT contract with a few months to run.
    OH - generally works as a consultant and has a famine or feast income. On a rare direct employed contract at the moment
    DC - two boys

Biggest challenge is a huge mortgage, taken out in the days of huge lending and post retirement mortgage dates. Stuck on high SVR as we haven't managed to both be in secure employment at the same time for years. The plan was to overpay and reduce the term but life got in the way a lot.
    10 years of chipping away at it may mean we can now try to remortgage but the barriers are two debts that I need to deal with so that they do not impact on affordability.

Debt 1 is a student loan, £840 left at £94 per month - 1.5% interest (maybe?)
    Debt 2 is a 0% credit card, £2500 with over a year left to run. This is a carry over from the last famine, and has been reduced from a total that was closer to 15k.

We do have a couple of months mortgage in savings, but that is the 'emergency job switched off fund' and is generally untouchable.

OHs works full time and his wages cover the mortgage, and basic outgoings. Its up to me to generate the income for overpayments and debt clearing . I have to work round the boys as we don't have family local or any childcare in place.

This diary is to try and keep me on track, before the big red lever turns the mortgage off. If we can remortgage, even with reducing the term to his retirement date, it knocks £200 a month off our payments which is a huge amount of leeway next time the famine hits.
Page 17
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I have had to make 6 phone calls about the same technical problem with the remortgage today and am very

Little of any use to report, and the shameful confession of chip shop tea because I was tired and fed up after being solidly on the phone or the bank website for two hours since I got in from work.
    All of my good intentions went out of the window, and I had a glorious proper white bread, salt, butter and chip butty that will no doubt give me indigestion for half of the night
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,923 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    White bread, salt, butter and chips sounds amazing Redo! Sometimes its the simple things and thats all you need!!!!

Hope you get to the bottom of the issue soon xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Little of any use to report, and the shameful confession of chip shop tea because I was tired and fed up after being solidly on the phone or the bank website for two hours since I got in from work.
    All of my good intentions went out of the window, and I had a glorious proper white bread, salt, butter and chip butty that will no doubt give me indigestion for half of the night
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I canít argue with any of that! (apart from the indigestion).
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All of my good intentions went out of the window, and I had a glorious proper white bread, salt, butter and chip butty
    And I scuttle away from the dangerous diary...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=4,490
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Nov 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 7,371 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have had to make 6 phone calls about the same technical problem with the remortgage today and am very

Don't blame you Redo, why can't people just do their jobs properly .

You can't beat a bit of comfort eating though
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £638/Emergency Fund 2 = £120
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Nov 17, 8:33 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    mm indigestion

Busy and long work day so not had a chance to ring and see if the bank now have everything they need. Late driving back, but got to watch the most beautiful sunset develop as I headed home - heading east over flat country with dappled cloud so the perfect multi level pale pastels.

and back to the mundane world of packed lunches and PE kit...
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Nov 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    ...... isnít it lovely though how those little things like sunsets can cheer you up - though agree on the mundanity of the packed lunches and PE kit!

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 9th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 42,631 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Mmmmmmmm chip butty! I'm veering towards chippy chips to go with our gammon & eggs tomorrow evening I must admit. I *could* be good and do wedges, but somehow proper chips just make everything right! (If I can shuffle enough freezer space I might go for the compromise of oven chips...)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Nov 17, 10:13 PM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 215,936 Thanks
    greenbee
    made flapjacks. Ate too many. Have tummy ache...
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 9th Nov 17, 11:03 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 40,186 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    I hope you get somewhere before the weekend. It's so frustrating to have to wait.
    And the chips and bread were medicinal, as was your flapjack, greenbee, to help you cope with all the upheaval. Or maybe that's just to help me rationalise the scone I had earlier...
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 10th Nov 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    why do I always ended up feeling hungry reading some diaries?
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £173,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sorry NOA.

A spendy day, inevitable bits on swedish store, replacement school bags from decathlon (current ones have done a good 18 months and its starting to show), and a tkmaxx investment buy of a really lovely deep blue/green cardigan for me. Love the cardigan. Soft and draping, and the bright colour that I need to not look washed out.

Positives:
    remittance advice for Septembers tedious
    SB voucher ordered
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Nov 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Cardi sounds nice

Going to the Swedish store myself tomorrow after work. I only need 'bits' too.

Enjoy your evening
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-11-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry NOA.

A spendy day, inevitable bits on swedish store, replacement school bags from decathlon (current ones have done a good 18 months and its starting to show), and a tkmaxx investment buy of a really lovely deep blue/green cardigan for me. Love the cardigan. Soft and draping, and the bright colour that I need to not look washed out.

Positives:
    remittance advice for Septembers tedious
    SB voucher ordered
    Cardie sounds lovely. Why donít I ever see anything in tkmaxx that I like....

• MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 11th Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 40,186 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Another one here with a visit due to the newly opened Swedish store. On my first attempt I really only got the things I came for and went, because it's so busy. I want to buy a candle set for a birthday present for next weekend, so a mid-week visit quite late on is on the cards. I'm determined to at least get a fee coffee this time.

Well done with the school bags. 18 months is a decent life span.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Seaside, it took a lot of looking but I basically took all of the cashmere in my size to the changing rooms and tried everything on. This was the only one I really liked. I'm not buying 'ok' anymore. It's got to be just perfect or it can stay in the shops. I don't 'need' anything which helps. You can never find anything when you have spare cash and need x for work.

Baked today, as DS1 was moaning about lack of food.

Mango and coconut traybake

Drain tin of mango. Rinsing several years of dust off the lid first in my case. Dry slices on kitchen towel. Put them in the bottom of a lined tin.
    Cake batter, 6oz fat, 6oz sugar, 5oz SR flour, 1oz decimated coconut, 2 eggs, and at least an eggs worth of leftover coconut milk. (Or use 3 eggs and a splash of milk instead). Enough liquid for very soft drop. Smooth it over the mango slices, and sprinkle some more coconut on the top.
    Mine took 35 minutes to cook - nice and springy in the middle. Could eat it hot with custard (if you are weird) or let it cool, and then flip it over so the mango is on top and slice. We thought you could make mango drizzle with the syrup, or a mango syrup and coconut buttercream, but we didn't bother as he might have starved to death by then.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Seaside, it took a lot of looking but I basically took all of the cashmere in my size to the changing rooms and tried everything on. This was the only one I really liked. I'm not buying 'ok' anymore. It's got to be just perfect or it can stay in the shops. I don't 'need' anything which helps. You can never find anything when you have spare cash and need x for work.
    I hear that on the Ďokí front!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    redofromstart
    My eating habits are really poor again. I am having a fibro flare. There is clearly no link at all between those statements. Must actually eat some vegetables. I've had carrots and cauliflower with dinner today, not enough but better than none.

Beef out of the freezer, and I made yet more quiche, and a fruit cake while the oven was on. Be-ro book, Brack - but using value mixed dried fruit and half a tub of elderly cherries). Good slab style fruit cake that needs eating with an equal slice of tasty Lancashire, something that doesn't seem to exist in the Midlands sadly.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 9,670 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I too need to up my veggies Redo, especially green, leafy veg. I've started buying a big bag of organic spinach. I throw it onto to eggs for breakfast, throw some in whatever soup I am having and add to my main meal too. I love cauliflower so I blitz a whole one and keep it in the fridge to use as cauliflower rice when I remember...

Might work for you too?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 12th Nov 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 40,186 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    I think I still have a very large tin of mango puree somewhere. Need to think what to do with it (and it can't involve the freezer, due to lack of space, Otherwise it will just have to sit there for a while longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,822Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter