Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,452Posts
    • 17,095Thanks
    misstara
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge
    • 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge 28th Oct 17 at 6:43 PM
    Welcome to the November NST challenge. November is probably one of my favourite months of the year - I love being all cosied up in warm clothes, all the leaves coming off the trees, the anticipation of Christmas coming up and even the dark nights, however, I know that many people dread this time of year so part of this challenge is to do with looking after your mental health.

November is a good time to have a bit of clear out and have a bonfire. I'm not asking you to actually have a bonfire but have a look through and see if there's anything that can be ebayed or put to the charity shop. November is also bonfire night. Most local councils put on a fireworks display so if you can, go along to watch.

November rules
    NSDs- set your own NSD target of over 12. As usual, household bills, medical expenses, budgeted travel expenses and ys items are exempt as long as that's all you spend.
    Organise - set your budgets now, pay to your debt/savings first. Organise any social things now, try and keep them low cost or free if possible. Look at your food budget, is there any savings to be made?
    Value for money - for all your purchases during November, I want you to ask yourself if you are getting value for your money. Look round for better deals, can you get it cheaper elsewhere?
    Exercise - I know the weather is getting colder and miserable but try to get outdoors for a bit each day even if just for 10 minutes. If you already do quite a lot of exercise, try something different. Go a different route when out walking/running or try a different gym class.
    Mental health - think of all the things you do to keep good mental health or strategies you have in place to combat poor mental health. As the long nights draw in, it can have an impact so try and do something daily to keep good mental health.
    Be Christmas ready - in October mothernerd encouraged us to get organised for Christmas so hopefully most of you are already pretty organised but for those you aren't (me!), start organising now. Plan who you are buying for, what you're buying and the budget. Can you add a few items of food to your weekly shop to spread the cost?
    Eat well - at this time of year, I tend to eat more stodgy food and there's always yummy snacks to be had so this month I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat better. If you already do this, pick another area to work on this month.
    Report - post daily if you can with a list of three things that you are grateful for.
    Last edited by misstara; 28-10-2017 at 9:55 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 2/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 10/18.
Page 16
    • Timetopullmysocksup
    • By Timetopullmysocksup 11th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Timetopullmysocksup
    Sat

Still on 6/18NSDs even though today should have been a nsd. So some stupid person decided that the big pkt of frozen sausages could do with a bash to separate them & might have done that on the ceramic hob. Ys sausages turned out to be sooooooo expensive. On the plus side I did find a hob on clearance for £92. I have had to borrow again but this has definitely reinforced the need for an emergency fund. I get paid Friday so can pay this back then.

Organize - getting a mind list together for what I need to get done next week, will transfer to paper tomorrow

Value for money - saved £18 getting a clearance hob

Exercise - not yet, not looking good either

Mental health - feel like its one step forward and one step back and this is how its always been so its starting to get me down but others have bigger problems so must stay positive

Be Christmas ready - not yet but not stressing over it either

Eat well - its Saturday so ate what we wanted but still wasn't rubbish, however I have just poured a rum & coke and may have another

Thankful for - everything, I always try to thank my lucky stars no matter what life throws at me, I am grateful for life, love and material things.

• ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 11th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Sorry but been MIA for a few days. Wouldn't mind if I'd been doing something exciting.
    Managed to sort a lot of craft stuff. Still at it,some gone on e bay some to charity.
    Have managed 8 NSD so far. Helps when you dont feel like going out.
    Eaten from freezer and fridge.Freezer still seems to have a bit in it and I really want to get it defrosted.
    Hope you all enjoy the rest of the weekend

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,428.63.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 11th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 11
    Was a spend day. Brought pillow cases for the pillows I brought for my Mum in M&S. Did an online order for the pillows - 4 normal pillows and 1 v shaped pillow to be delivered to my local M&S store. They messed up the order, instead of sending the V shaped pillow, a duvet was sent. Phoned up and complained. Resending the V shaped pillow to the store and are meant to be sending a voucher for good will after I explained why I had ordered them. Have to bring back the duvet tomorrow.

Mental Health - Still tired. Hopefully I will get a good sleep. Will be able to have a sleep in tomorrow morning.

Healthy eating and exercise - not doing this at the moment.

Grateful for:
    My Mum seemed slightly better today and was getting quite a bit of sleep while I was there. Does not groan when moved.
    My cousin sending a card for my Mum with a picture of her boys, which my Mum appreciated.
    For the staff in the hospital.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge NSD 8/20 Food/household budget £58.19/£150
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 11th Nov 17, 8:58 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    laurenh1
    timetopullmysocksup sorry about your hob, its always the way!

I managed to come in well under budget at the fair so thats another 20 quid back in my spending pot, plus it turns out the play group on monday is free so over all a good day.

I do need to keep an eye on cash though now , I can keep in budget but only if I am strict with myself so Ill be making an extra effort. Cupboards are full so that helps.

Today I am grateful for- a warming mulled wine while we were outside in the cold, for my 5 pound pet food voucher I got in the post and for having no plans for tomorrow
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 11th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,577 Thanks
    Florence J
    NSD # 1 today, ya hoo!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£94.58) £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253 Wombling free 2017 = £1982.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3118.08/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1146.96/1146.96
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4025
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 12th Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 24,138 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 11/30

NSDs: 6/15 Ah spendy day today as DD came over & always wants to go shopping.....

Organise: More clearing in the dining room - who knew there was so much stuff in there. Got off to a bad start as I also had a poor nights sleep last night - like a lot of people on this thread, must have been something in the air... Still did a fair chunk of clearing so pleased with that. then, whilst I was out with DD, DH got almost all the furniture out and loaded the dishwasher & cleaned the oven trays from lunchtime, he's gone mad! Well I think it was relief that he didn't have to come to the shops with us

Value for money - Got a few bargains whilst out shopping including some Christmas stuff.

Exercise - Lots of walking (round shops) but that's all

Mental health
    - Good considering lack of sleep. Usually puts me in a bad mood.

Be Christmas ready - Expecting a big transformation by the end of next week. Since we use the dining room at Christmas for a family get together it would have to be done anyway. And usually in a panic nearer the time. Just need to get some paint now..

Eat well - Not too bad...

Gratitudes - Big gratitude to DH for moving all that furniture on his own, can really see the progress. Also that DD went back to her own place, she's on early so we'd have to get up at 5.30....not a fan..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • misstara
    • By misstara 12th Nov 17, 3:22 AM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 17,095 Thanks
    misstara
    NSDs - a spendy day so still on 5/18

Organise - shop done today, £31.30 spent so £77.92/£150 food. Went round to a girl from work's flat for drinks, took alcohol from the flat so it was a cheap night. Had to spend £15 on a taxi home though so social spends £59/£50

Value for money - total fail here, was planning to go to Lidlee but was lazy and went to Morries instead.

Exercise - went for a run

Mental health - time spent with work mates totally cheered me up

Be Christmas ready - nothing done today

Eat well - so so today

Report - 11/30, grateful for Scotland winning at rugby, seeing seals on my run and spending time with people outside work
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 2/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 10/18.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Nov 17, 7:54 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    laurenh1

Just checking in

Today is NSD #6 out of 16. Aiming for 5 more next week. can I just ask if there's still an exception for milk for little ones as there was last month ? I can stock buy if not

Organise- I will be doing house work today, ironing, batch freezing mince pies and generally just getting on top of things

Healthy eating and excrersize- doing my best insanity again tonight.

Christmas- making mince pies to freeze. Got a free bottle of red wine with m&s meal deal- I will put away for xmas.

Value- won't be spending

Mental health- fine, although tired.

Greatful for - a day to potter round the house, making new friends and learning about free or cheap activities in the area for little ones
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Nov 17, 10:41 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 8,709 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSDs- NSD 4/12. Needed shopping but will get myself organised a bit better today.

Organise!- Most of the washing is done but getting it dry is a nightmare. Beautiful day here but not good for drying.

Value for money!- Got some super six veg from Aldi

Exercise!- A bit of a walk but not really far enough.

Mental health!-Feeling ok but need to get lots of things sorted out

Be Christmas ready!- Bought two advent calendars for the teenies (found them cheaper than they were a couple of weeks ago).

Eat well!- Sausage roll for lunch and steak pie for dinner? Not really!

Gratitudes – Visit from the teenies.
    Lovely day if a bit cold
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Nov 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Sorry for absence. On Friday I shopped (not for me) and went to mum's. She has a large plant in the front 'garden' (6' strip in front of the house covered in stone chippings). It needed a bigger hole. Hit solid clay, ended up with double the number of aches and pains I started with. I am in better shape than the fork which now has tines pointing in 3 directions (mum had already said she wanted a new one). Fell asleep on the bed and did not wake until after midnight.

Little bit of domestic stuff done yesterday, need to do so much more. Internet cut out when I was checking in. Came back at 3am but lost the post.

In money saving (value for money), someone has lent us 2 suitcases for our holiday, so no need to buy (mum was paying, I would have made do with my rucksack) or to find somewhere to store them afterwards.

Today will be plodding, plodding and more plodding or frantic bursts of activity followed by lying on the bed gasping like a beached whale. Just need to be more in control of everything.

laurenh1 I'm sorry but there isn't an exception for milk. Greent has an exception because her family can get through several large bottles a day and she only has a tiny fridge - I think that they are also at the stage where they love something one minute and can't stand it the next. Greent would never have a SFD and probably would have back troubles as well. I gave you the exemption last time because you were new and it would have been mean not to. I had already given exemptions on fuel and bus spends and more. If you have real problems with it, put your case to this month's thread leader. Blame me, my sons do.

I am grateful for lovely weather for painting, digging and mostly getting the washing dry; for aching muscles - proves I still have some under the layers of blubber; for being lent suitcases.

For yesterday I am grateful for progress, however slow; for lots of ideas (just not enough time) for Aussie cop shows - skipped the part where one of them dies after not watching for most of last week. There was an explosion, two of them were taken to hospital, a third team member who was thought to be ok collapsed and then they did that cliffhanger thing for 2 episodes where you are wondering if the one whose wife has just had a baby will die or will it be one of the 2 who have just admitted their love for one another. Decided it was all too much atm and started at the beginning of the second series.

Today (I will be reporting back later) I am grateful for my sense of humour. I have bad times but my sense of humour always surfaces, I can nearly always find something funny about the situation, it's a great survival mechanism.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £91.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Ok, we too go through a large bottle a day as my children are both pre school but fair enough
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 12th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 12

A little more time to update today although I haven't been productive on many fronts. I find myself slipping in to not thinking about the little spends again, one NSD was wasted over a £1.40 spend on 2 bars of chocolate where previously I wouldn't have spent because I wouldn't want to ruin an otherwise NSD. Now that my test is out of the way and I don't have any more until January I can keep my focus a little more although I do have a lot of assignments due in now. So up to and including today:

NSD - 7/18 not doing too bad and still within reach
    Food - £58.95/£100 also within reach
    Exercise - 5/20 I have changed this slightly, will count either cycling or 10k steps as 1
    Studying - 7/25 this should start increasing daily now
    Clear out - 15/30 thanks to a great start earlier in the month I am still on target for this
    Extra income - £58.93/£100 another £20 will be added at some point next week from PA

Christmas is coming along nicely, I am about 2/3s of the way there, I have even wrapped everything that I have bought so far. Double up nectar event should see this completed, I'm actually really excited for this event and I am so thankful that I have been saving up my nectar points for at least a year, maybe two.

I am grateful for the nectar double up event coming up and for beginning November with such a great start that is managing to somehow keep me on target here.

I really need to start making sure I get in the exercise at the beginning of each day, this helps so much with my mental health and I am always so much more positive about things throughout the day.

The other day I put in an order from amazon pantry, because it was my first order I got £5 off and also received free delivery (£2.99) because I ordered 4 things from the list that I needed anyway. That means that I have all my household needs (toilet roll, shampoo, detergent etc) sorted for the next month. I also put in a bottle of alcohol (£11) and a box of chocolates (£6) for presents, total spend £27.49, all of which was paid for with vouchers, I think I got some great value for money there.
    LBM 20/9/17 5101.55/5690.50 = Loan: 1923.70/2207.38 Car Loan: 2166.87/2419.64 0% CC: 1010.98/1063.48 DFD Oct 18.
    SPC 586
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Nov 17, 1:33 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    laurenh1
    So i need to retract a spend day someone gave hub a tenner they owed him and then he bought a drink with it. So pleased on one hand but disappointed on the other. So still on 5. However Im fairly sure I can get 5 in next week so 16 is still doable.

Infact im going to attempt to stay away from all spending until Friday. & then ill only have a week until payday finances are looking better for staying out the shops on a daily basis
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Nov 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 26,363 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    DebtFreeDuo when is the Nectar double up happening? Been saving my points all year for it.

I've been AWOL for a week I'm afraid

NSDs only on 2/12 but have planned some more in for next week, it's just been one of those months.

Organise Not been great on this front. Going to draw a line under this month so far and get back on it.

Value for money I've been shopping around, going through TCB and taking advantage of discount days.

Exercise gym 3 times a week and walking to work every day.

Mental health ok to say I get a lot of stress.

Be Christmas Ready made a good start on this.

Eat well yes - lost another pound at WW

Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 12th Nov 17, 5:16 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Day 12 #18 Checking in....
    NSD - 6/12 I haven't spent anything today
    Organise - Grocery budget still £140.96/£283. Written a to do list for the next week.
    Value for money - Nothing here today
    Exercise - nope!
    Mental Health - Didn't sleep well last night. I'm realising how bad I am with money! I'm OK with monthly bills but alarmed at 12 days in how much I spend on bits & bobs. I've done a list of 'extras' needed between now and end Dec and flabbergasted to say its around £450!!! This is on top of what I estimated. I can cover £390 of it but begrudge also that this is such a chunk of money I could use elsewhere.. Easy to stay in grocery budget if just the weekly shop but the popping out for milk and spending £6 really adds up! At least I'm recognising & it may be that things get worse before they get better with it being Christmas/DS birthday but gearing up to a fresh start come January & limiting the damage as much as I can.
    Xmas/DS Birthday - DS has a list of friends to invite to party =45 only 35 allowed but its a start!
    Eat Well - Chicken Casserole & Jacket Potatoes cooking as I type
    Be Grateful - It was a bright day and a lazy Sunday
    Declutter - Eb@y items not sold so will now go in charity bag. Medicine box sorted OOD items will be taken to chemist to dispose of. Kitchen cabinets sorted nothing binned but all tidy.
    O/D - £1490.04/£1500

Have a great week turtles
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 8,709 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Having a bit of trouble with local children, Well, when I say local some of them are not quite so local. Started this morning with lets knock the door and run away. Ok up to a point and then it gets really annoying, Escalated into banging on the windows. When I confronted the local children (who are actually lovely and just think it's fun - understandable, didn't we all do it?) it turns out that the later ones are from further away and actually released some dogs from a house nearby (lots of people trying to round them up and get them back inside). Not willing to put up with this because I know what it can lead to. A spate of windows being broken some year's ago. Need to nip it in the bud.

.NSDs-Still on 4/12.

Organise!- I have a list so long it's frightening.

Value for money!- Don't you just love Lidl super weekends?

Exercise!- Quite a long walk - better than nothing

Mental health!-Good

Be Christmas ready!- Got some YS smoked salmon for breakfast on Christmas day and lots of antipasti for over the festive season. Think we've sorted what we're going to have on Christmas Day. It's difficult when there are only two because everything is geared to big family gatherings

Eat well!- Not too bad today

Gratitudes – Lovely walk, warm house and lovely family and friends.
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 12th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Feeling blurg so will keep it short as I want to make it an early night.

Yesterday turned out to be a SFD. Not planned as the birthday treat though budgeted for would require spend. We had some Mr T vouchers but have yet to manage to eat at these places without going over. Yes I know thats their aim. Itallian place messed up both main, drink and dessert order for DD2, didn't have enough staff on either. As a result of my complaint we got our entire meal free, and we get to use our vouchers again another time!

Nothing else to report, still no card, so no shopping! Today is also a NSD.
    NST November #5 | Carpet Fund33.25 | NSD 1/12 |
    Motivate and mean it.
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 12th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Another NSD makes that 9 so far.
    Still eating from stores.
    Still sorting stuff and putting some on e bay.
    Still feeling tired but should get better.

One day I'll have something exciting to post on here

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,428.63.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 47,719 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a lovely friend driving me to and from mum's (155 miles each way), for good driving conditions, for being able to bring things home that I just cannot carry when on the trains, for having a jolly time with mum (anyone else remember gonks?), for time with big sis , for getting a lot cleared up at mum's, for finishing some cmas tree decs, for being home in time for our mini bonfire.
    NST November #; NSD 3/17; Ex 2/12; craft 1/30 (247); remove 578
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3415/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 35,356 Thanks
    DawnW
    Checking in: Day 12/30

NSDs: Still on 7/12. Spend day today as I went to a market in a nearby town this morning, mainly to buy some bits for my business, but also bought a couple of things for own use, including nice tomatoes for £1 Updated food /grocery spends in signature to take account of this.

Organise: Wrapped 4 ebay parcels ready to post tomorrow. Cleaned and put away new business stock. Cleaned bathroom floor, hoovered bedroom, landing and lower flight of stairs

Decluttering: Nothing here today

Value for money - Lots of nice tomatoes for £1

Exercise - Walked dog x 2, plus walking round the market, not great, but all I had time for.

Mental health
    - Good considering poor sleep as OH isn't well. Did me good to get out to the market on my own this morning, a bit of time for myself!

Be Christmas ready - Nothing here today

Eat well - Not bad, all home made food, porridge and fruit for breakfast, a cheese and salad sandwich for lunch and I cooked a roast chicken with lots of veg tonight. There will be enough cooked chicken for several more meals

Gratitudes - Grateful to get out of the house on my own for a couple of hours, a bright day, if cold, and the beautiful, though damaged antique majolica jug I bought at the market for only £2 - I won't be selling that one on!
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £210.25 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,386Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter