Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nirajn123
    • By nirajn123 11th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 23Thanks
    nirajn123
    0 WOW
    Late December holidays
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:59 PM
    0 WOW
    Late December holidays 11th Nov 17 at 7:59 PM
    Hello,

I am looking for a holiday for between 7-10 days in late December (anytime between 21 Dec - 7th Jan). These dates were fixed until this week so couldn't book this before. I have looked at available (packaged) options and prices are clearly much higher than usual during these dates. Does anyone have experience of booking last minute holidays during this time? Is there a point in waiting for another few weeks to see if prices drop? We are open about where we go as long as we have assured sunshine and 20+ degrees so were looking at Canary Islands or Florida. (2 adults + 10 yrs old)
Page 1
    • sarah69696pink
    • By sarah69696pink 11th Nov 17, 8:02 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    sarah69696pink
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:02 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:02 PM
    Can you book it all yourself instead of package? May get a better deal?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    • 18,305 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:14 PM
    What do you mean by 'assured sunshine'?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • nirajn123
    • By nirajn123 11th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    nirajn123
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    What do you mean by 'assured sunshine'?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Places like Malta etc can be rainy during Dec, just somewhere where sun is guaranteed
    • nirajn123
    • By nirajn123 11th Nov 17, 8:29 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    nirajn123
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:29 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:29 PM
    Can you book it all yourself instead of package? May get a better deal?
    Originally posted by sarah69696pink
    Yes, looked at Florida earlier, rates are much better as DIY but Hotel only - I am bit worried it might end up costing quite a bit more in the end.

Never been to Florida before so wanted to keep it simple to start with too. I might end up booking it DIY but I thought I'll check what people think
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 11th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 37,719 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 11th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    Don't think that Canaries can be guaranteed for hot sunny weather then- you can have the Calima blowing with the dust. Experienced that in Canaries a couple of years ago in January.
    It will be warmer than UK.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • sarah69696pink
    • By sarah69696pink 11th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    sarah69696pink
    • 11th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    Yes, looked at Florida earlier, rates are much better as DIY but Hotel only - I am bit worried it might end up costing quite a bit more in the end.

Never been to Florida before so wanted to keep it simple to start with too. I might end up booking it DIY but I thought I'll check what people think
    Originally posted by nirajn123
    Is it breakfast you're concerned about? Or other meals? Most USA hotels are room only. If you have a car you can buy some cheap and easy breakfast goods to eat in your room if you get a room with kitchenette area (lots have this). Or eat breakfast out you can get some cheap deals. I've never done anything other than room only in USA.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 18,305 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    I have been to most southerly parts of the USA San Diego and Miami at the end of December and had some cloudy days in both places.
    If you want 'guaranteed sunshine' I don't think you'll get it in the USA.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 11th Nov 17, 11:58 PM
    • 7,578 Posts
    • 8,435 Thanks
    pelirocco
    • 11th Nov 17, 11:58 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 11:58 PM
    We have been to Florid a many times for new year. The weather can be very unpredictable tho, last year it was very hot to start with then temp dropped by over 10 degrees. Still a great place for new year. The carribean is a good bet for weather
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Nov 17, 7:11 AM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    jackieblack
    We went to Florida for Christmas/New Year a few years ago - it was scorching when we arrived but in the second week it was colder than it was in the UK!
    I've got a photo of my (adult) daughter and I on our last day there, she's wearing a warm hoodie with a fluffy lining we'd just bought and a faux fur hat, I'm wearing 2x vest tops, 2 x t-shirts (one short sleeved, one long) a microfleece hoodie and another sweatshirt type hoodie over the top (not a flattering look!)

ETA Have just checked. It was 29 degrees (C) the day we arrived. The day before we came home, 9 degrees!
    Last edited by jackieblack; 12-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 7,150 Posts
    • 5,553 Thanks
    daveyjp
    An idea of budget would help.

Week in Madeira leaving 26th December for £700 looks good value when you consider it includes NYE.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Nov 17, 9:45 AM
    • 15,532 Posts
    • 11,315 Thanks
    hollydays
    We have been to Florid a many times for new year. The weather can be very unpredictable tho, last year it was very hot to start with then temp dropped by over 10 degrees. Still a great place for new year. The carribean is a good bet for weather
    Originally posted by pelirocco
    Caribbean quite expensive at Christmas .
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 37,719 Thanks
    Katiehound
    An idea of budget would help.

Week in Madeira leaving 26th December for £700 looks good value when you consider it includes NYE.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    "At this time of year, the average temperature for the island ( Madeira) falls as the month develops, dropping from 18°C on December 1st down to 17°C by December 31st. "

It also says that it could be rainy
    Certainly not the wish list of guaranteed sunshine!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • z1a
    • By z1a 12th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    z1a
    We went to Florida for Christmas/New Year a few years ago - it was scorching when we arrived but in the second week it was colder than it was in the UK!
    I've got a photo of my (adult) daughter and I on our last day there, she's wearing a warm hoodie with a fluffy lining we'd just bought and a faux fur hat, I'm wearing 2x vest tops, 2 x t-shirts (one short sleeved, one long) a microfleece hoodie and another sweatshirt type hoodie over the top (not a flattering look!)

ETA Have just checked. It was 29 degrees (F) the day we arrived. The day before we came home, 9 degrees!
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Not exactly "scorching on your arrival day" Sure you don't mean Celcius?
    • nirajn123
    • By nirajn123 12th Nov 17, 12:45 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    nirajn123
    Thanks all. We really want to go to Florida but will hate it if the weather isn't good when we visit. So perhaps consider it for in late in the spring holiday (whenever that happens - 2018 or 19).

Sarah69 - I was talking generally about the base price of holiday which is likely to be room only being quite high and then other bits might add up quickly including all the meals etc. - key issue here being the unknowns (vs. a half board or all inclusive where we won't get a shock), we are also likely to be mobile with the car etc so more shopping than at a smaller resort. A lesson I learned the hard way on a Dubai holiday few years ago. I would rather have such holiday outside of super peak period.

I'll also look at Cape Verde too based on what everyone said - hopefully it is a bit better in terms of weather.

In terms of budget we would have liked to spend about £1500 on a short haul and 3/4K on Florida one.

While I appreciate inputs - any thoughts on my original question? does anyone know from experience if the prices would come down as we get closer to the last 3/4 weeks or it makes sense to just pay current prices (assuming they'll go up).
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Nov 17, 12:45 PM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 9,901 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Not exactly "scorching on your arrival day" Sure you don't mean Celcius?
    Originally posted by z1a
    Yes, of course, celsius - have corrected, thanks
    Last edited by jackieblack; 12-11-2017 at 3:13 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 18,305 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    ...does anyone know from experience if the prices would come down as we get closer to the last 3/4 weeks or it makes sense to just pay current prices (assuming they'll go up).
    Originally posted by nirajn123
    Can you fly outbound on the 25th Dec and return 31st Dec?
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 12th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    michele-p
    I don't know about prices coming down nearer the time, sorry.

Destination wise, we went to Fuerteventura in Feb a few years back. It was "mild" during the day, and quite chilly at night, but the thing I underestemated was the wind. I was so sick of it by the end of the week, and we didn't really enjoy the island anyway!

We've also been to the Gambia is January,now that was HOT 36 every day, quite cheap, but you need vaccinations and malaria pills. If you like to stay by the pool/beach all day it might suit. We ventured out, with a local guide, and while I'm glad we went, wouldn't go back to such a poor country again.

It's a pity Egypt is off the cards still, temperature wise it's fab, diving and snorkelling are world class, and there used to be such good winter deals.

Good luck with your search
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 12th Nov 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    Archergirl
    It's a pity Egypt is off the cards still, temperature wise it's fab, diving and snorkelling are world class, and there used to be such good winter deals.

But it isn't, you can still go to Hurgurda or Marsa Alam, it's only Sharm that has no flights form the UK.
    We go every year in May/June it does get dark quite early in Dec I think making it cooler but the days will be nice.
    Maybe have a look at 'Historical weather in Dec' of places you fancy.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Nov 17, 6:06 PM
    • 13,094 Posts
    • 17,312 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Singapore and the surrounding area will be guaranteed to be warm.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,952Posts Today

8,511Users online

Martin's Twitter