Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,806Posts
    • 37,796Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £16,000
Page 177
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Nov 17, 4:10 PM
    • 817 Posts
    • 4,095 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hiya Cheery

SO glad to hear that you've finally got the mortgage sorted...
    You've more patience than me, I would probably have been done for serious GBH on that useless broker
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I've been tempted, I confess and I'm not generally given to violence I'm a bit of a scaredycat when it comes to complaining at the best of times, and especially when someone has the power to create even more havoc if I !!!! them off Once we've moved though he'll be gettig a stern letter - and if any of them ring to ask why I haven't filled in the life insurance forms they'll be getting a mouthful

Pizza for tea tonight - found a limited edition beetroot and butternut squash one in Iceland for £1.59 so we're experimenting rock n roll Saturday night here But we did go out for breakfast AND a cuppa later so it's about time we stayed in for a bit
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Life assurance, I did mine through one of the cash back sites and got £140 back so worth checking. Took a year to pay out though.

We took a round number out on the basis that one or both of us usually has some cover through work, rather than the actual amount of the mortgage.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That's worth knowing redofromstart, thank you!

Hate getting stupid insurance quotes - already had 3 phone calls following up this morning Normally I'd ignore numbers that I don't know, but I'm waiting to hear various things about house stuff, and Mr Cheery is having some hospital tests this morning and the hospital are going to ring me to collect him, and they ring from a private number, so I have to answer the phone...

Hey ho! Will end up working from home once I've collected Mr Cheery (he's fine by the way) so at least I can make lunch etc and avoid the vending machine...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Nov 17, 10:14 AM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oops, meant to say I had a £5 study FINALLY approved on Prolific, so have just cashed out £21.31 That can go straight in the Patchwork Fund when it arrives
    • starnac
    • By starnac 13th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 5,173 Posts
    • 24,096 Thanks
    starnac
    Cheery it's all moving at last. Yay! Hmm! at the life insurance quote though. I woouldn't go with the broker either! Our life insurance is slightly more than that and I bet yours is no where near as complicated as ours!

It is a faff though, getting quotes. Good luck to you. I hope Mr Cheery is okay at the hospital and that you can collect him soon.
    DEBT FREE!!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #307
    Save
    Save
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Nov 17, 3:07 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Mr Cheery is fine, just tired. We're home now and he's watching a film while I do some work (kind of)

Tis indeed moving - although not very quickly as the building society are taking their customary three days to respond to the solicitor's simple query about the 40p issue... I chased solicitor, he told me to ask broker to chase building society - I did, but wish I hadn't, as I don't think they *quite* get it and I'm fearful they may have waded in and complicated things

I'm not doing anything else now - tomorrow is the building society's third day since the solicitor sent the letter so they will hopefully just respond to him and ignore broker...

Still no response from seller's estate agent about the boiler - but I'm not chasing them either until this stupid 40p nonsense is sorted out...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Nov 17, 3:39 PM
    • 8,195 Posts
    • 42,605 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Have you remembered to check the relevant box on the comparison sites to tell the insurers not to contact you direct Cheery? I always do that as I don't want all and sundry having my number passed through to them! Sometimes they do just ignore it, but that doesn't seem to happen *that* often.

Glad to hear Mr C is home and all is good.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Have you remembered to check the relevant box on the comparison sites to tell the insurers not to contact you direct Cheery?
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Clearly not Didn't see a box like that yesterday and I've not done this for months so I'd forgotten all about it and so didn't go looking... Ah well - I'll remember last time. I fobbed them all off with 'I'm in work and I was only looking for quotes cos we won't be moving for weeks anyway'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Nov 17, 10:21 AM
    • 8,195 Posts
    • 42,605 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    which for the first time might not be the truth! Hopefully not TOO many weeks, now!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hopefully not! Although as usual, I'll believe it when it happens...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, we have some progress

Building society is fine with the 40p thing and is writing to the solicitor to confirm

We're booked in to see solicitor on Thursday afternoon to sign everything

Sellers have said boiler works fine but water pressure sometimes just drops a bit. Numerous youtube videos by plumbers confirm this is common and easy to fix. Tried all day to get hold of our cheery heating bloke for advice but phone disconnected and I'm concerned he may have retired

Going to try a different one tomorrow, and arrange a final viewing of the house to measure up etc in the next couple of days.

Starting to feel like we MAY just be getting somewhere! Woo hoo!

(Still not holding my breath though )
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Well, we have signed all our documents Including the pesky mortgage offer I can't tell you how relieved I am Although I am aware we're not *quite* there yet - final visit on Monday with a heating engineer to allay Mr Cheery's fears about the boiler's error code... Also need to check the serial number on a telegraph pole and shut the gate to keep the cows out Solicitor has one final (small, easily answerable) question for the vendors' solicitor and that's it

Reckons we should at least have a date for exchange/completion within the next week

My mum picked up the keys to her new flat today (she's switching her council house for a smaller flat with no garden) so it's all change in our family at the minute She's giving 4 weeks notice on her current place (and using it to decorate the new one) so we're currently engaged in a race to see who will move first...

I reckon I deserve to win - we've been working towards moving since we had our first appointment with a mortgage adviser in January 2015
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yeah, well, that all went wrong...

Had a call this morning to say our buyer's house is back on the market Their buyers demanded a large drop in price (presumably trying it on now they know we're all ready) and our buyers (rightly, in my opinion) told them to !!!! off.

So they're back on the market - still want to buy our house but right this second not in a position to...

We were distraught earlier, having had less than 24 hours of thinking things were actually going well... But now we're a bit more resigned... Going to visit new place on Monday, and fess up to estate agent. We'd like to give our buyers a short time to find new buyers rather than re-market ourselves (they sold within a week last time - I REALLY don't want to re-market as we are completely full of boxes now! )

Sellers might not like it - but realistically given the state of their house, and its ludicrously rural location, our buyers are FAR more likely to find a new buyer more quickly than them... So they can stick it back on the market if they like but I can't imagine they'll find anyone who'll come to completion more quickly than us now...

Hey ho. Can't do much tonight anyway, and it's our 12 year anniversary so naturally I'm !!!!ing round on the internet while Mr Cheery has a bath Might sort out YNAB - neglected it in the flurry of the last couple of weeks...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Nov 17, 10:43 PM
    • 8,195 Posts
    • 42,605 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Glad to hear you sounding more calm about things now lovely. It WILL all work out, and I'm pretty sure that whatever happens will be for the best in the long term. I can't imagine for a moment your sellers will want to re-market for exactly all the reasons you've said.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Nov 17, 11:33 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 37,796 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed. I very much doubt they'd find another buyer who wouldn't take one look at the survey and run a mile! I confess even I baulked when I finally got the paper copy this afternoon and I already knew what was in it

Landed up in the bath myself (once Mr Cheery had removed himself...) so no YNAB but I *will* get round to it tomorrow...
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Nov 17, 8:52 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh cheery, it really has been a roller coaster for you. I dislike people who go back on a deal like that, and would also have told them where to go but painful for you all.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 43,127 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Oh, Cheery - all I can say is that you are handling this all A.L.O.T better than I ever would. I do hope that your buyer's house is snapped up again by someone else. Possibly if it went quickly last time, there may have been other contenders that put in offers? The EA could still have their details on file.

I wish my parentals would be as proactive as your mum is being with her housing. I'd much rather mine were in a manageable home - possibly a bungalow with a pocket kerchief of garden, even though the gardening parental is already struggling with what they've got. I certainly know where i get my stubborness from.........

K.B.O and have the strength to belief all will be well in the end

Greying XX
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,555Posts Today

6,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin