Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Jaggeroooh
    I fitted a Dimplex Quantum heater!
    • 2nd Sep 13, 2:51 PM
    I fitted a Dimplex Quantum heater! 2nd Sep 13 at 2:51 PM
    Okay,

I had been looking for some time for a heating system to compliment an electric underfloor heating system on economy 7 in the flat I have just moved into. I had done a bit of research on this site and elsewhere but could see any user experiences of the Dimplex Quantum heater. Originally I wanted two of these fitting (in lounge and study) but have decided to fit only one (in the study) and see how I get on before ordering a second.

Costs

- £590 (inc Vat) plus £125 to fit - Not cheap I grant you, but if it saves me using peak supply elec I reckon that might pay for itself in 4 - 5 years (if not quicker).

Fitting

I found an ex North West Electricity board electrician who used to fit old fashioned storgae heaters for a living. He was upfront and stated he had never fitted a Quantum before but was keen to give it a go. I went for the QM100 mdel for a mid sized room (with high ceilings).

The pack is big (similar sized to a large plasma TV) (not including bricks). The heater itself weighs 35kg, not including bricks.

It took the fitter about 2.5 hours to fit, but he said he was taking his time and following the instructions to letter. It required an extra on peak spur to be put in as well as the off peak supply. The control units run from the on peak power supply so it is not possible to run them from the off peak power only.

Looks

Much better than i expected. The QM 100 is approx 820mm wide and the rest of the dimensions (Height and Depth are standard for all Quantums at H 700 and D 180). The look of the unit is good. Its still a storage heater, but a good looking one. It doesn't look out of place in my church conversion flat. Its is a white coulour (not cream / beige) it actually quite striking. It has two wires coming from it (both on same side). The two feet sit on top of the carpet, but carpet could be easily cut around it. I'll try and add a picture of two if possible later.

Controls

They look great. The colour changing temp display is a nice touch of quality. It took me about 15 mins to work my way around the controls. Setting the timers, and changing the set profiles, but overall its pretty straightforward.

Operation

So far the heater has been in 3 days (2 nights). I set it to come on Sunday morning and was pleased that it did with no problems. There was a slight smell from the heater but not an unpleasant one, rather like a smell of baking bread. I imagine this will disapear after a few uses.

I particualrly wanted to test out the heaters claims of retaining 'up 60% of its heat for 24 hours' as with my E7 tariff, I want to store the heat until the evening for use. Tonight I have set the heater to come on at night (18.00 to 20.00) and I will see how warm it is.

The heater has a slight noise (from the fan ) in operation but it is not intrusive, but is notiacble (i.e. you can hear it is on).

Its hard to tell if the heater is using stored supply or the 'boost element', but this might just be because I haven't figured it out yet.

Initial Thoughts

I am pleased with the heater, I like the look and the ease of operation. If It holds its heat as long as it claims it means that I should never need to use peak supply for any heating needs. I will keep you posted on developments and would like to hear any other experiences.

Conclusion

So far, so good! Looks better than I thought (and lots better than old storage heaters. Control are nice, simple and good looking. Heater works well. Its not cold enough to properly test yet and I will have not 'control' costs to test against so I can only speak from my own initial thoughts.
    Last edited by Jaggeroooh; 02-09-2013 at 7:09 PM.
Page 7
    • oldandhappy
    • By oldandhappy 5th Sep 16, 8:45 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    oldandhappy
    we decided after a lot of research with the type of house we have here in France that the storage heaters would suit us...we have two rooms with log burners also but because we are in and out a lot only really use them during the cold evenings otherwise you need to top up with the logs regularly....the storage heaters have worked out really well for us so they come on early morning then late afternoon mainly and last all evening. We had to pay around 500 euros for fitting each one... that seemed a lot but the wiring is different here no switches on the wall all wired direct to fuse box with individual switch and individual fuse for each one where you turn off during the summer or when not needed to heat up over night ours is 12 until 8 half price elec...we still have the electric panel heaters but do not use now. electric rad in shower room and stand by two gaz portable heaters....do not like being cold in doors so after a lifetime of central heating adjustments have had to be made here and it works fine BW Dianne
    • oldcyclist
    • By oldcyclist 15th Jan 17, 11:30 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oldcyclist
    Quantum immersion heater together with Quantum Storage Heaters
    Anyone using the Quantum immersion heater?
    I just picked up 2 x QM70, 1 x QM125 & 1 x QM150 (new with tatty boxes) for £1,750 delivered on eBay. Will let you know how they seem but no comparison as the old ones are being replaced during the initial refurb.
    Originally posted by Esinem
    My apartment currently has a vented dual element immersion heater with the lower element fed by an E10 supply. The water output is via a dual ended (hot and cold) pump to pressurise it for the shower and the hot water taps. having fitted two Quantum storage heaters (replacing the older type Dimplex XL units) I was suitably impressed by the much improved controls so plan on fitting a 150 litre Quantum water heater soon which will not only be more efficient but get rid of the noisy pump. One thing to take into account if anyone plans this conversion- quite a lot of re-plumbing is involved so check out installation costs before buying! (I always do my own plumbing so it's just a matter of time availability) Excellent installation instructions are available on the Dimplex website.
    Last edited by oldcyclist; 15-01-2017 at 1:29 PM. Reason: typo
    • oldcyclist
    • By oldcyclist 15th Jan 17, 11:47 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oldcyclist
    Updated firmware to G
    Last winter (2016) I bought and installed two QM125 heaters to replace 16 year old Dimplex fan assisted XLS models which tended to overheat at night then run out of heat in the evening. I'm pleased to say that the Quantum units are a vast improvement (I have no gas). I've just replaced another old Dimplex unit with a QM100 in one of the living rooms where one of the QM125's was also fitted.

I was surprised to find that the firmware has quite a few differences to the earlier QM125s which were version F, the QM100 is Version G.

The "user option" for timer scheduling is now missing - although both "Out all day" and "In all day" can be edited (no problem there) Many of the other menu items have changed though and I see that there is now an editable option for changing charging times. (I assume to work with non switched supplies?)
    Firstly- can the older QM125 units have their firmware updated to match (like most computer controlled items these days?)
    I see that with two Quantum heaters in the same room (in my case a fairly large combined kitchen/living room) it is recommended to put the smaller unit in "SLAVE" mode which I have done- what does this actually do to the operation?

I am also thinking of replacing my hot water supply with the Quantum system (more compact/efficient and gets rid of a noisy pump) See another posting here.
    On the Dimplex site mention is made of the Quantum Hub- I assume a sort of central control for Quantum devices- does anyone know anything about this? (Yes-I admit to being a technical junkie!)
    • oldcyclist
    • By oldcyclist 16th Jan 17, 11:28 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oldcyclist
    request for further info about firmware updates and other matters
    I've just sent a request via the Dimplex website asking the same questions that I've posted here. I see they charge premium rate for phone calls so I have no intention of making contact that way. IF they respond I'll post the info here- it will have a direct connection with any future purchases of their Quantum products by me as I appreciate good post-sales customer service- especially when spending this sort of money!
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 16th Jan 17, 12:07 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    lstar337
    oldcyclist, thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to hearing any updates you provide.
    • oldcyclist
    • By oldcyclist 17th Jan 17, 7:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oldcyclist
    Update on queries sent to Dimplex about different firmware etc
    Much to my surprise I had a call from Dimplex Customer Support today- only a short time after my request for information!

Firstly- the change from Ver F to Ver G as posted previously.

Apparently it is NOT possible to update from F to G as there are hardware differences as well- however there may at a later stage be a partial upgrade made available which "may" involve adding a hardware component. According to the support person the biggest change in the firmware is the ability to generate comprehensive reports which assist diagnosis of any post installation problems.

He expressed surprise that I had discovered another new menu relating to control of charge times. (I've admitted to being a a tech junkie previously) This is apparently for future development when connection to single wiring systems may be possible (unlike the current requirement for both 24hr and off-peak connections.)It may become possible for the "grid" to signal excess capacity and provide additional low-rate charging along with hot water heating if Quantum hot water heaters are also installed. The development of the Quantum Hub also looks toward this future development. These options are not active at the moment so don't go asking Dimplex yet for updates- if they are activated later then registered users will (probably) be notified. (A good reason to sign up for the extended warranty on the Dimplex website) All in all I was impressed by the openness of the caller and feel confident to continue with upgrading my properties to the Quantum heating and hot-water systems. He did state that the biggest "complaint" they get is that the heaters do not seem warm in the morning- which is of course an intentional feature of the much improved insulation and controllability compared to older type night-storage heaters. Quite a few customers seem unaware of the fact that most of the heat output is via the forced fan air- not case radiation as previously.
    • reck_uk
    • By reck_uk 19th Jan 17, 12:31 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    reck_uk
    This is the best unbiased source of information i've found on these heaters so far so big thanks to everyone that's contributed.

I'm having a survey done very soon to determine the size and amount of quantum heaters I should get for my house with a view to purchasing between 2 and 4 in the near future.

Is there anything I should ask the guy while he's carrying out his survey?

Could an existing owner tell me if there's an option to set a custom\user profile or timer along with the "home", "work", "holiday" modes?

The best price ive found for these heaters is at electricpoint.com, anyone got any experience with these?
    • oldcyclist
    • By oldcyclist 19th Jan 17, 1:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oldcyclist
    Quantum storage heaters
    Based on what I've learned recently (and reported here)

1. Make sure that any Q heaters you buy are Version G (or later!)

2. Check the packaging VERY carefully on receipt! Although the boxes are clearly labelled "this way up" all the units I've received have been delivered lying flat on pallets and in one case the front panel was creased requiring a replacement and subsequent delay. I would suggest if they arrive lying flat OR any damage to the boxes are noticed then photograph them and check before signing any receipts!

3. Although Version G no longer has a "user option" timer setting , the "Out all Day" and "IN all day" timings are easily editable to suit your requirements. (Either all days the same, or every day different as required) Unexpected heat requirements can easily be input using the "Comfort ON/OFF" and temperature settings.Expect the units to take a few days to stabilise initially as the software "learns" your average needs.

4. Understand that these heaters do not normally get very hot to touch (like older designs) as the forced fan air is the main heat extraction method from the core.

5. My most recent purchase was from Electricpoint.com- no problems encountered apart from their delivery agent ignoring the "this way up" label.
    Last edited by oldcyclist; 19-01-2017 at 1:13 PM.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 19th Jan 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    lstar337
    The best advice I can offer is to over-specify the heaters.

It is always best to store as much of the cheap heat as possible.

Always go bigger than you need.
    • reck_uk
    • By reck_uk 19th Jan 17, 3:47 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    reck_uk

Originally posted by oldcyclist
    This is the firmware right? Is there anyway to check this other than by asking electricpoint what f/w the heaters are running? Is there a way to check the heater before it's all setup and wired in as it's a bit late by then?

What's the benefit of a g heater over an f?

2. Check the packaging VERY carefully on receipt! Although the boxes are clearly labelled "this way up" all the units I've received have been delivered lying flat on pallets and in one case the front panel was creased requiring a replacement and subsequent delay. I would suggest if they arrive lying flat OR any damage to the boxes are noticed then photograph them and check before signing any receipts!
    This was delivered from ElectricPoint? I'll look out for that then, thanks for the tip.

3. Although Version G no longer has a "user option" timer setting , the "Out all Day" and "IN all day" timings are easily editable to suit your requirements. (Either all days the same, or every day different as required) Unexpected heat requirements can easily be input using the "Comfort ON/OFF" and temperature settings.Expect the units to take a few days to stabilise initially as the software "learns" your average needs.
    I thought I'd read somewhere this setting had been dropped. It sounds it's not really needed though from your description.

5. My most recent purchase was from Electricpoint.com- no problems encountered apart from their delivery agent ignoring the "this way up" label.
    That's good to hear. I've checked a few sites and these guys offer the best price.

I've read a few comments about the heater learning and adjusting itself. How does this work? I'd expect to set a temperature, say 22*, which I assume works in a similar way to my input setting on my current storage heater, and the heater stores up the required heat and works the same each night unless you change the setting.

I've not been impressed in the past with systems that try to work out what you want and make changes itself.
    • reck_uk
    • By reck_uk 19th Jan 17, 3:48 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    reck_uk
    The best advice I can offer is to over-specify the heaters.

It is always best to store as much of the cheap heat as possible.

Always go bigger than you need.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Thanks for the tip. Think I'm going to need a couple of the big' uns in the lounge/dining area.
    • standinline82
    • By standinline82 8th Nov 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    standinline82
    Research the 'Series G' before purchasing

I have just purchased 3x Series G models (2x QM150 and 1x QM070) and I'm bitterly disappointed that they do not have the User Timer, I would urge others to look out for their previous versions (older stock), that still have this very useful feature.

It's awful not having the User Timer, the heaters need a lot more user input to keep them in the correct mode, forgetting to change them ends up being costly. I'm annoyed because until I pointed it out, the function was still being shown on the Dimplex website and on Electric Point's website too (where I purchased them from). I'm currently in a dispute with both parties.

Be sure you research the 'Series G' Quantum's models carefully before purchasing. Many of the reviews on here are referring the the older models that have more flexibility.
    • Afourteen
    • By Afourteen 11th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Afourteen
    I installed one into the rented property I own following guidance from the Energy Performance assessor to replace an old 'basic' one. The night storage radiator was/is used as 'background' heating in the centre of the building with the primary heating coming from a Gas fire.
    To put it mildly both I and the tenants are disappointed now it's been switched on. Input is totally uncontrollable. The supplied 'blurb' says the case will be 'cool' to the touch - it most certainly isn't! - the skin tempeture is hotter than hand hot but yes, you can hold your hand on it, just. The tennant has it set to 'Out All Day' and the room never gets cold. He tells me the fan works first thing in the morning and sometimes at night.
    The most concerning item is the running cost, presently about 100% more than the previous NSH of the same input loading (3.2KW).

To Be Honest if the running costs do not reduce once the machine has completed it's 'learning' cycle it looks like I'm going to have to compensate the tennant for the extra costs incurred.
    • mrlee
    • By mrlee 11th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mrlee
    To put it mildly both I and the tenants are disappointed now it's been switched on. Input is totally uncontrollable. The supplied 'blurb' says the case will be 'cool' to the touch - it most certainly isn't! - the skin tempeture is hotter than hand hot but yes, you can hold your hand on it, just. The tennant has it set to 'Out All Day' and the room never gets cold. He tells me the fan works first thing in the morning and sometimes at night.
    Originally posted by Afourteen
    We have a QM150 & the case never feels hot. We do have it set to home all day but I can’t see that making a difference.

Is the size of the heater the right size for the room? What is the temperature set on? If the fan is working morning & night it sounds like it’s following the ‘out all day’ program ok.

We’ve been pleased with ours. The room has high ceilings & is open plan so in truth I’d have liked to spec a bigger heater... Hope yours settles down for you and your tenant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

4,149Users online

Martin's Twitter