Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    • 7,755Posts
    • 86,522Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Countdown to Freedom
    • 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    Countdown to Freedom 5th Nov 11 at 9:12 PM
    A new diary as we enter the last two months of 2011. I have been lurking for almost a year and have found so many of you inspirational, particularly Billy, Michelle, Radish, and Museum Worker.

A bit of background I am married to a great man, two kids who are growing up too quickly, two cats and a dog! Never a dull moment in our household as you can imagine.

I had my LB moment 12 months ago and started to work on my husband to bring him round as I thought we both needed to be on board to tackle this project. I have just asked him when he had his LB moment and he said 'when you told me I had' however he swiftly followed this up with 'when I realised we would never reduce the mortgage whilst battling with 'the large Spanish bank'!

To set the stage for where we are and where we are aiming for:
    Current mortgage £312000 and I wince as I type the number, with the outstanding mortgage due to finish in 10 years. Aim is to clear the mortgage in 6 years. We are fortunate that we are both employed on good salaries however in this day and age who knows how long that will last.
    Onwards and upwards, my next post will be to build a picture of how I/we have put into practice all the things learnt from you great people.

Thanks for reading and I hope some day I can inspire others the way some of you have inspired me/us.
Page 513
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 11th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 86,522 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    We drove past (in my Golf ) a white sporty Bentley today - OH informed me it costs c £240K. DS2 (11) was most unimpressed when I told him that you could buy a small 4 bed house outright for that - or that it would pay fully for 4 x university educations - he can't believe someone would pay such money for a car (not saying Mr T is looking at that one )

Hopefully Mr T will settle for a suitable (and sensible) set of wheels instead!
    xx
    Originally posted by greent
    He'll have to GreenT ❤

In all seriousness I'd like a Golf for us to share as we are buying a car in Portugal next year . Our son had my old one.

Cost of all cars seems ridiculous. PCP is not for us ❤

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 12th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,892 Thanks
    Watty1
    Maybe buy him the matchbox version for his Christmas stocking
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 12th Nov 17, 10:29 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    We are now sharing a car, although we still have the camper as backup. I really thought it would be inconvenient, but it has been fine. And encourages us to walk and cycle more, so double benefits. Maybe Mr T would like a bike and trailer? X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

4,149Users online

Martin's Twitter