Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 14,884Posts
    • 47,933Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Saving all the money.............really I am !
Page 7
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 5th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    My day went, empty shed, move old furniture out, get help from LOVELY neighbour to break up and put in car.

Arrange shed to take dinning table and small hutch.

Try to move table

Fail

Try again

get it to the Kitchen. Can't do the angle past the door.

Bring table back.

Eat vile microwave meal

Some chocolate

More chocolate

More........you get the idea.

Back is killing me.

Nap time.

XXX
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Nov 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 26,363 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Given that you're not that close to your sister, should the situation warrant you losing money because of BIL?

It wasn't so long ago she was being ar$y about your mum's house and you living there.

You have your own life to lead.

Just saying.

Take care xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 5th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Yeah you aren't the only to point this out, RL friends have said much the same. But she is having such an awful time. I just feel so bad for her.

But I can't really keep it up.

Funny how you forget stuff in a crisis tho. My best mate pointed out various things that gave me pause.

Downstairs is a mess - the sofas haven't got any smaller and the dinning table which is older than me is too heavy to move. But I shall tackle that problem next weekend. At least the shed is cleared, labelled and organised. 1 down 2 more to go...

I was trying to think what I have been doing for the last forever. And it is n't really saving....Each year there has been something going on (as is normal obviously!!)

2011 - debt free (went on holiday)
    2012 - got the dogs
    2013 - had an expensive 6 month relationship.
    2014 - happy at work so spent money
    2015 - started new job, got the rabbits (massive expense, more than the dogs! )
    2016 - saved pretty ok, lots of money on house tho- bathroom, kitchen, garden (much paid back mind)
    2017 - garden (pond! and rabbit enclosure) car insurance was massive too. also paying for the dentist.

I just can't get past the reliance on the credit card and having only a little savings (better than nothing but not enough.)

interesting. Would write more but my arm is killing me. beginning to think I have RSI!
    • PKaurK
    • By PKaurK 7th Nov 17, 8:39 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    PKaurK
    I've just read through your thread, I can't imagine what you're going through. Rally hope your BIL and mum get better. Lots of love x
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 8th Nov 17, 11:42 AM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Well My sister went to the opticians yesterday and they referred her straight to the hospital and she is having eye surgery to fix a detached retina. i.e SAVE HER EYESIGHT.

Just unbelievable.

Mental amounts of stress all around. I have the flu and so cannot go near my sister as BIL has 0 immune system due to the leukaemia so my Mum has gone to the hospital with her to bring her home etc. I feel useless but am so ill. Can barely eat.

Just read the recovery leaflet. that was depressing.

I think I shall try and eat something.

XXX
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 8th Nov 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 12,173 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Sorry you're having such a rubbish time Buffy. Sending you lots of hugs.

I know you feel bad that you can't help anyone out at the moment, but you need to think of yourself too. You won't be able to help anyone if you don't get better. Please try and get some rest.

Emz xx
    Clearing electric arrears in 100 days!! - 7th November 2017 to 15th February 2018 - £0 to go!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all went well for your sister Buffster xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hi Emz.
    Hope all well with you? xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 26,363 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    OMG Buffy, your family don't do things by halves do they? I know someone who found out they had a detached retina during a routine eye test. They were OK in the end. Hope your sister is ok xx

You can't be around BIL if you're ill. Has he had a bone marrow/stem cell transplant?

Hope you feel better soon xx
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 9th Nov 17, 12:23 PM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    UGh I hate my nose. Cold thing. hate it.

Sister is okish, clearly desperate to see her partner regards of the risk to her eyesight and the stress it will cause Mum. I think she is nuts but I have never been that in love with someone I would risk my eyeballs! She is a grown woman and they are each other's world so I suppose he is the only thing that makes her feel safe really.

Today is the last day I can have off work before I have to go back so am going to have a nap and hope for the best.

have a good day XXXX

Ps. any one successfully given up Amazon?? I am hopeless.
    • Southern-Girl
    • By Southern-Girl 9th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Southern-Girl
    BIL has 0 immune system due to the leukaemia
    XXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    This is really sad Buffy - I thought he'd had a stroke and was in a rehabilitation ward, and on the mend, albeit slowly. I didn't realise he has leukaemia.

This must be very hard for you all
    x
    Last edited by Southern-Girl; 09-11-2017 at 3:58 PM.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    This is really sad Buffy - I thought he'd had a stroke and was in a rehabilitation ward, and on the mend, albeit slowly. I didn't realise he has leukaemia.

This must be very hard for you all
    x
    Originally posted by Southern-Girl
    & then I think he had a stroke.

• Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 9th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    The order of things went, he became ill, was ill for a few weeks and the doctors couldn't figure out what was going on.

Then he basically collapsed at the doctors.

And then at the hospital they realised/found he had leukaemia, the treatment for that caused the stroke, but if they hadn't give the treatment then.....so that then led to them not realising about the stroke because he was in coma induced to deal with the treatment. That was such a bad bad time.

He is amazing really. And so is my sister, dealing with it and currently being essentially blind in one eye.

We had more bad news today, my neighbour's son has just been diagnosed with cancer. She was so upset she couldn't explain much and it was just terrible. Again.

I hate Boris Johnson. !!!!ing utter moron.

He has risked that woman's life.

Arrogant stuck up !!!!!!!. Diplomat in chief. AS IF.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 26,363 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It's amazing what they can do for blood cancer now Buffy. As you know with Mr SA.

Sorry to hear more bad news re neighbor's son

Hope you're having a good weekend xx
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 11th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Hello, My weekend was going quite well till a couple of hours ago.

I had a lovely breakfast with my friend, did a bit of necessary shopping nearly killed myself bringing the hay to the car (parked further than normal, won't do that again!) Came home had a horrible sandwich from M and S (not doing that again either!!) and then I had a nap listening to a book of Ghost stories.

Things on the BIL front are a bit upsetting, so I don't want to talk about that just now. I should be marking. But appear to be watching an old Black and White film with Mum. Hey ho...

XX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Nov 17, 8:59 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,345 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to read that Buffster.
    You know where I am xxx

• juliejim
    • By juliejim 12th Nov 17, 7:33 AM
    • 7,504 Posts
    • 151,048 Thanks
    juliejim
    Hugs Buffy xx
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Nov 17, 8:00 AM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 26,363 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hugs from me too. Fingers crossed things will be ok xx
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Nov 17, 4:30 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just wanted to send you lots of love Buffy. I know how hard it is when there aren't enough hours in the day. Are school aware of what's going on? Just think that if it were my place then they might put some stuff in place to help reduce the load there (well, they would now but not this time last year...)
    Thinking of you and your family and friends.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 17th Nov 17, 7:33 PM
    • 14,884 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Hello.

I am shattered, still ill.

BIL is ok.......not great. but he is more stable in his own mind, not quite as depressed as he was.

I thought he might lose his place at the rehab because he was refusing treatment but it seems he has settled more.

My car broke and is going to cost me about 400 quid. I had saved 500 pounds this month to pay off the cc. So ermm. yeah.

rough week, parents evening, car, terrible kids.

God I am knackered.

Love to you all

XXXXX
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,498Users online

Martin's Twitter