Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    • 255Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 5:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 5:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:36 PM.
Page 67
    • stulaunch
    • By stulaunch 11th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    stulaunch
    Apologies if this has been covered before - has anyone else received the Sky letter offering to continue the discounted prices (60%) for another 12 months, without entering another contract ? Just trying to understand what criteria (years, price, package) are used to get it ? - Cant post the letter, but you can see the T&Cs that go along with it at sky d o t com (forward slash) shop (forward slash) faqs (forward slash)
    Originally posted by Mr_blibby
    I've had my 60% extended. I have Sport, movies Hd. Been with Sky maybe 12 yrs, but never paid more than 50%. I've let it go off a couple of times. Perhaps they realise that, and it just saves them time by continuing discount.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 12th Nov 17, 9:42 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I've complained bitterly about this to them over the last couple of weeks or so and couldn't get an answer of who gets picked, it's just that I'm not eligible.

I genuinely don't understand what they could garner from it, surely anyone receiving an email or letter from them with the offer to continue their (say) 60% offer for 12 months on a rolling monthly contract aren't going to object? What useful data would they gather?

All it's done in my case is seriously tee me off and after various communications make me determined to leave them.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I assume that they think that by extending the offer, they will build customer loyalty and these people will either pay full price in 12 months time or prove easier (=more profitable) to retain. Wouldn't work with me tho'
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 12th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Boohoo.......My suggestion is to keep trying.

I must have been lucky. I put in my 30 days notice to cancel and later that day, I went on live chat and got 50% off TV.

You could try bluffing it if you watch sky sports. Ttalk were doing some very good deals for Sky sports. Try giving them a call and see what prices thy are charging. Then speak to Sky to see if they will match it. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    I tried again this morning live chat and half way through the chat i had a de ja vue moment and went through the live chat while waiting for the advisor to answer me and the advisor was the same person i got last week and her/his question/replies were nearly word for word from last weeks transcript.
    I got offered 40% off (same as last week) and was told thats all i will ever get and he said i chatted to me last week and told me all this and today is the same deal and no more will be offered.
    I left the chat and will leave for now.
    • john-306
    • By john-306 12th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    john-306
    Finally got a package price that was acceptable to me, nowhere near the 75% £100 credit from last year, but I don't think thats gonna happen before next week anyway, and the wife was getting nervous we'd be cut off.
    12 months, Boxsets, Sports, Cinema, HD, 2 x New skyQ boxes free and install free, £52 pm, with £54 credit (thats the cost I was initially told it would be a month, making 1st month free) and 31 day cancel.
    I was waiting for 60% off which was about £48 all in, with the credit its £47, so that'll do for now.
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    Just been switched off.
    Went on to live chat and was being very polite to 'Simon'. I said I had benefitted from a 75% off, he said that stopped last December.
    Suggested I could afford 60% off and a £25 credit which had been offered to a friend. He asked me for my friends account details.
    Then he said something about waiting for an offer in the post or email - so I said sorry to have bothered you, Ill see what comes in the post.
    So I am already pricing up Humax Freeview recorders. We have Net flix and Amazon. We cant seem to catch up with the video streaming stuff so ditching sky is less of a pain than it was even 12 months ago.
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    Seeing as I got nowhere with the live chat bloke, should I also call them?
    • john-306
    • By john-306 12th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    john-306
    Seeing as I got nowhere with the live chat bloke, should I also call them?
    Originally posted by applicationcen
    Try it, when that automated voice comes on asking why you are calling I just say "to cancel contract".
    When I've called (loads of times) they do have all offers/details you've been given in the notes that's left on your account anyway.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Try it, when that automated voice comes on asking why you are calling I just say "to cancel contract".
    When I've called (loads of times) they do have all offers/details you've been given in the notes that's left on your account anyway.
    Originally posted by john-306
    Just say 'Winback team' and get put through to the team with the best offers.

And don't tell porkies by claiming your 'friend' got such and such offer as they do this for a living and are better at it than you are.
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 12th Nov 17, 5:41 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    I just accepted 60% off.
    • spreadtrader
    • By spreadtrader 12th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    spreadtrader
    Finally got a package price that was acceptable to me, nowhere near the 75% £100 credit from last year, but I don't think thats gonna happen before next week anyway, and the wife was getting nervous we'd be cut off.
    12 months, Boxsets, Sports, Cinema, HD, 2 x New skyQ boxes free and install free, £52 pm, with £54 credit (thats the cost I was initially told it would be a month, making 1st month free) and 31 day cancel.
    I was waiting for 60% off which was about £48 all in, with the credit its £47, so that'll do for now.
    How did you get Sky Q thought it was a minimum 18months?
    [
    • john-306
    • By john-306 12th Nov 17, 6:57 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    john-306
    How did you get Sky Q thought it was a minimum 18months?
    Originally posted by spreadtrader
    I read somewhere someone got 12 months skyQ, I wouldn't accept 12 months TV and 18 months skyQ, and told the if I couldn't have 12 months TV + skyQ to just cancel it all, so she went off and spoke to her supervisor and stated you can have both for 12 months.
    I rang back a few hours later and had the deal read back out to me by another CA what was on my notes, it all matched up ok.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 12th Nov 17, 10:09 PM
    • 11,696 Posts
    • 134,376 Thanks
    Anon
    Just been switched off.
    Went on to live chat and was being very polite to 'Simon'. I said I had benefitted from a 75% off, he said that stopped last December.
    Suggested I could afford 60% off and a £25 credit which had been offered to a friend. He asked me for my friends account details.
    Then he said something about waiting for an offer in the post or email - so I said sorry to have bothered you, Ill see what comes in the post.
    So I am already pricing up Humax Freeview recorders. We have Net flix and Amazon. We cant seem to catch up with the video streaming stuff so ditching sky is less of a pain than it was even 12 months ago.
    Originally posted by applicationcen
    75% off and £100 credit did not finish last December as I got that deal in March 2017!

I gave my notice recently and they offered me a £25 account credit - it is not the best deal but as I am not in contract and still have 75% off it covers another month or so, and I will then likely cancel again .

I am not convinced with the new Messenger service - getting a response or asked different questions an hour or so after you ask a question is not ideal, particularly as the app and website don’t seem to work properly.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Nov 17, 11:41 PM
    • 8,511 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    75% off and £100 credit did not finish last December as I got that deal in March 2017!

I gave my notice recently and they offered me a £25 account credit - it is not the best deal but as I am not in contract and still have 75% off it covers another month or so, and I will then likely cancel again .
    Originally posted by Anon

I was just going to mention the same about the offer. It was due to end in December, but having accepted in November, noticed that it went well beyond.

I have 75% off at the moment, but am due to be switched off next Saturday. I'm just catching up on a few films before I go, but have to admit to only watching one properly, one with fast forwards and deleting the other two, of four I downloaded on Friday,so no great miss.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 13th Nov 17, 10:23 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    shaggy
    I was just going to mention the same about the offer. It was due to end in December, but having accepted in November, noticed that it went well beyond.

I have 75% off at the moment, but am due to be switched off next Saturday. I'm just catching up on a few films before I go, but have to admit to only watching one properly, one with fast forwards and deleting the other two, of four I downloaded on Friday,so no great miss.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I find that Sky Movies offers very little to get your money's worth, so when my 75% off finishes in April next year I wont miss it at all, and happy to be without Sky for as long as possible until I get another 75% off
    • W1zz
    • By W1zz 13th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    W1zz
    I'm in the 2nd week of my notice period. Was on the 75% off with £100 credit deal. Not had any contact from Sky so far. Only offer showing on my account is 30% off.

Although - For the past couple of years I've switched between myself and my partner. Different surnames, different bank accounts. Her contract ended in January (£25 Full package) and she's been getting various 'come back' letters each month since. This weeks is again offering 60% off via the sky.com/deal60 link.

Will see if anything better turns up during Black Friday week, if not, I may take the 60%.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 13th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    shaggy
    I'm in the 2nd week of my notice period. Was on the 75% off with £100 credit deal. Not had any contact from Sky so far. Only offer showing on my account is 30% off.

Although - For the past couple of years I've switched between myself and my partner. Different surnames, different bank accounts. Her contract ended in January (£25 Full package) and she's been getting various 'come back' letters each month since. This weeks is again offering 60% off via the sky.com/deal60 link.

Will see if anything better turns up during Black Friday week, if not, I may take the 60%.
    Originally posted by W1zz
    dont you have to switch off totally for the best offers? i.e. 75%?

I doubt there will be anything special for Sky Black friday. They might dress up one of their existing deals, but thats it.
    • john-306
    • By john-306 13th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    john-306
    dont you have to switch off totally for the best offers? i.e. 75%?
    Originally posted by shaggy
    I didn't this time last year, I just rang up and gave my 30 days notice, then rang right back same day and got the 75% £100 credit.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 14th Nov 17, 9:23 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    shaggy
    I didn't this time last year, I just rang up and gave my 30 days notice, then rang right back same day and got the 75% £100 credit.
    I thought I did well negotiating 75% and £50 credit, but I had to call back / chat a few times after the TV switched off to get that.

Same old routine again starts in April

Im tempted to ask for a deal on the Sky Q but i dont think it will be as good!, and once they have you for the Q box, then you cant go back to the old HD box so can offer you any old rubbish Q box deal
    • Mr_blibby
    • By Mr_blibby 14th Nov 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_blibby
    Mis-selling
    Didnt get anwhere on chat, so cancelled - felt pretty good. Went on next day to check end date and noticed 30% offer - wasnt interested, but just thought I'd see what the offer was - clicked on it and BOOM, I'm signed back up for another 12 months - WTF ? Sharp practice at best, but blatant mis-selling. Called up to re-cancel, was told nothing was on the account - then got email the next day confirming the 30% - got back on chat to recancel again - agent suggested they could do better, but would need to reinstate account - couldn't improve, so recancelled AGAIN to be told that I then owed £55 more for 2 days service and termination date had moved ! Have made formal complaint to Ofcom over the miselling and a formal CEO complaint. Have cancelled the DD after my correct final payment made yesterday.

3 weeks ago I was a happy Sky customer, coughing up my £400/ year for many years for actually very little Sky only content - its almost as though they are trying to **** people off
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 14th Nov 17, 4:34 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Marcio45
    Hi blibby,
    The same happened to me. Clicked on the offer to check the conditions, and then got a screen saying that its all done. I was shocked and angry. The same as you, contacted them and was assured it hadnt gone through as there was nothing in the system.
    Guess what, an hour later had an email saying it had been applied on my account. Contacted them by chat and told them i had clicked it by mistake, and there was no issue cancelling it again. They even kept the original cancellation date, although the final bill was slightly higher by about 4 pounds compared to my first cancellation notice, to do with the discounts that had changed in the meantime. But i was just happy to go and did not make a fuss.
    I would guess that anything that you agreed online you always have 14 days to cancel, particulary on this case where there is no material loss for Sky. If they dont budge, make an official complaint. As far as i remember, on that offer page there was no info on terms and conditions, so they are at fault.
    Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

774Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter