Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 11th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    Windows Update Issue
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    Windows Update Issue 11th Nov 17 at 7:09 PM
    Windows update is taking forever to download, suggestions on Google don't seem to be working.

Windows 7, IE11 HPG61

Basically, the drive light (3rd on left) is constantly on, I'm trying to ascertain if the drivers are up to date

Any recommendations or suggestions please?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:42 PM
    Where possible don't use drivers from Windows Update, they more often than not cause more problems than they claim to fix. Look up the model on HP's website instead.

The Windows Update taking forever on Windows 7 is well known and has been the case since July 2015. Multiple solutions posted all over the internet but not all work for everybody - may be a case of waiting it out on your laptop.
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 11th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:23 PM
    Webpages hang, takes ages to switch between tabs I notice this happens when the "drive" light is on, i.e. laptop freezes, when the light goes off, I'm then able to switch between webpages.

I've upgraded my laptop memory, and used CC.

This issue started about 2 weeks ago, and now happens almost every time I'm trying to switch between tabs.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    Is the issue with Windows Update or with you web browser?

If it's WU, search for and download the update manually (from the MS website).

If it's your web browser, try creating a new user profile to see if the problem still occurs:

https://www.howtogeek.com/139705/how-to-use-multiple-browser-profiles-in-any-browser/
    • Beverley Hillbillies
    • By Beverley Hillbillies 11th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Beverley Hillbillies
    • 11th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    tbh, I'm hopeless with technology

Is the issue with Windows Update or with you web browser?
    Originally posted by esuhl
    I've no idea, initially, the issue started with the device light remaining on, causing the pages to hang

I searched Google to see what the issue maybe, and found it could be related to driver update, I then tried to do MS updates which were taking ages to load
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter