Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DL22
    • By DL22 11th Nov 17, 2:33 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 6Thanks
    DL22
    Late re-mortgage due solicitors/mortgage adviser FAULT! Paying fees & still waiting!
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:33 PM
    Late re-mortgage due solicitors/mortgage adviser FAULT! Paying fees & still waiting! 11th Nov 17 at 2:33 PM
    Hello MSE community,
    I need your HELP and guide me what to do next ...

I have a 2 year fixed mortgage with HSBC which finished 31.10.17 and still waiting to switch for a new deal with Nationwide.

Preparation for Re-mortgage started 31.08.17

My mortgage adviser blaming solicitors, solicitors blaming HSBC for not sending them redemption quote. I got a copy of redemption quote sent my 03.11.17. Original was sent to the solicitor. I called solicitor 08.11.17 because my mortgage adviser said he can`t do nothing about it and I need to call and ask solicitor whats going on. Solicitor said that they did not received redemption quote from HSBC and they requested new one. 09.11.17 I got message from HSBC with a copy of redemption quote but with different fees (interest). I called HSBC and found out that solicitor got my redemption quote 03.11.17 via e-mail and once again requested it 08.11.17 and HSBC sent them again. HSBC printed out e-mails and sent it to me via post as an evidence that they did everything at the time.

When I called Solicitors 09.11.17 they said that my remortgage will accomplish 10.11.17 and yesterday my mortgage adviser called me and said that my remortgage will accomplish 13.11.17. I DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD ANYMORE!

Can I go to ombudsman or what my options are and what should I do now???!!

Thank you!
    Last edited by DL22; 11-11-2017 at 3:06 PM.
Page 1
    • FungalCow
    • By FungalCow 11th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    FungalCow
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:50 PM
    If you are using a broker then try to refer back to the Initial Disclosure Document you were given at the start. There should be a complaints process noted on here. Mine is in section 9 so might be similar towards the end.
    That will be your first port of call. You might not get any luck as the general agreement with the mortgage adviser is to receive advice on your mortgage and receive the best mortgage for you. The bit in the middle with the solicitors and lenders arguing might not fall into this but, personally, complaints about my service generally would be heard by my company even if the advice was correct.

I am having similar siuations with remortgage solicitors not hitting fairly easy deadlines and after a meeting with lenders BDM the other day I was instructed to put the complaint through the lender you are moving to as they are the ones who provided the legal service. As it is broker introduced business you might need your broker to contact them for you but if your relationship isnt great then there must be someone that he/she answers to.

I hope you get this sorted, I can sympathise with the terrible service the free legal companies can give. I have had to log a complaint through the new lender to try find a resolution to my clients situation.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • DL22
    • By DL22 11th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:58 PM
    to FungalCow
    Thank you for an advice!
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,779 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    Why would the original poster complain to the broker? The broker has done nothing wrong by the sounds of it.

The issue is between the lender and the solicitors. You need to complain to the solicitors with your evidence and see what they reply with.

Personally, I would write a letter explaining what has happened, how much extra in interest it has cost you over the 2 weeks and ask them to bank on £50-100 for all the chasing you have had to do and see what they say.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 32,219 Posts
    • 17,253 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    How long did it take from the date of the application to the date of the issue of the mortgage offer?

Who found/chose the solicitor handling the transaction?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • DL22
    • By DL22 11th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    to ACG

Very good advice. Thank you! That what I will discuss with my mortgage broker and also will include evidence from HSBC.
    • DL22
    • By DL22 11th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    to kingstreet

How long did it take from the date of the application to the date of the issue of the mortgage offer?
    Application was done 31.08.17 and mortgage offer was accepted 01.09.17

Who found/chose the solicitor handling the transaction?
    Mortgage adviser chose solicitors.
    • FungalCow
    • By FungalCow 11th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    FungalCow
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    I wasn't apportioning blame, I was stating that there are complaints procedures in place to hopefully get a resolution without going to the ombudsman.
    If I had caused someone stress I would certainly appreciate the chance to out it right on a local level before having to go through official complaints procedure.
    If the solicitor is to blame then the complaints procedure will most likely e through the new lender who probably introduced the free legals we all love so much.
    Again, wasn't saying the broker is at fault, just outlining the various routes if a complaint was needed
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 15,779 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    Fair enough, but I dont see how the brokers complaints process would be the first port of call personally. I am all for resolving complaints and keeping people happy but based on what has been said, I would reject the complaint personally.

Just to add, the ombudsman would not normally accept a complaint unless it has gone to the firm first and they have given you a final response. I assume it is a similar process for the legal ombudsman (or whatever it is called).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • DL22
    • By DL22 11th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    Will see mortgage adviser on Monday and ask him to speak with solicitors to solve this issue. Maybe solicitor will be happy to pay £150 fees.

Have a good rest of weekend everybody!
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 15,779 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    ACG
    Did the broker recommend the solicitors or was it your choice/free legals?
    If the broker recommended them, then it is probably a good shout. If not, then I think you would need to complain directly.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 12th Nov 17, 8:08 AM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 3,902 Thanks
    amnblog
    Not free legals ACG, Nationwide - will be cash back.

As you say above, delays sounds like it is down the solicitors, or current Lender, or both. A complaint to the Broker sounds like a poor move and unwarranted.
    Last edited by amnblog; 12-11-2017 at 8:12 AM.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • DL22
    • By DL22 12th Nov 17, 8:23 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    to ACG

It was a brokerís choice
    • DL22
    • By DL22 12th Nov 17, 8:26 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    to amnblog

Honestly I do not want to complain at all. I want my re-mortgage to be completed ASAP and I do not want to pay fees because itís not my fault!
    Last edited by DL22; 12-11-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Nov 17, 8:58 AM
    • 15,779 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    ACG
    to ACG

It was a brokerís choice
    Originally posted by DL22
    In that case, yes give the broker a shout.
    I have a firm of solicitors I work with purely on the basis she has always been good. If I have recommended someone and they turn out to be useless, I would be kicking up a fuss as it reflects badly on me.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 12th Nov 17, 9:05 AM
    • 10,025 Posts
    • 3,902 Thanks
    amnblog
    It takes quite a while to weed out the ‘useless’ ones.

15 years on and we are still finding them.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • DL22
    • By DL22 12th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DL22
    Thank you ALL!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,925Posts Today

8,487Users online

Martin's Twitter