Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • El Selb
    • By El Selb 11th Nov 17, 6:44 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 17Thanks
    El Selb
    Shall I open a Vanguard account?
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:44 PM
    Shall I open a Vanguard account? 11th Nov 17 at 6:44 PM
    I am thinking of buying 2k worth of Vanguard's Japan Index tracker.

I already have a CSD account, but given their rising fees is it a no brainer to buy and hold on Vanguard's new broker platform?

I have 9k in funds and stock and in CSD as it is, around 60% in Vanguard products. So it might make sense to transfer that over too in time.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    Well if you are happy to be constrained to only having Vanguard (and friends) products in one of your accounts then buying direct might be effective. Remember you can only contribute to one S&S ISA per tax year which might again restrict your trading activity. Alternatively for low values you could consider just using a dealing account as on these values you are less likely to make sufficient returns to interest the taxman.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 4,278 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    The fund OCF will likely be the same wherever you hold it so the benefit will be the difference in Vanguard's 0.15% and CSD's 0.25%. On £2,000 that's the difference between £5 and £3. I don't think £2 would be enough for me to split my investments across platforms. If you did want to save £11 and move all your funds to Vanguard, you'd need to decide what to do with the 40% that isn't Vanguard at the moment, particularly the 'stock'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,498Users online

Martin's Twitter