Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moomin Bear
    • By Moomin Bear 11th Nov 17, 3:50 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Moomin Bear
    0 WOW
    Flight amendment charges
    • 11th Nov 17, 3:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Flight amendment charges 11th Nov 17 at 3:50 PM
    Please Help, I'm in a huge pickle! I have book flights in February, we are flying Birmingham,-Dehli, Dehli - Dubai then Dubai home. The Dubai - home leg was supposed to be booked for 18th Feb. Both myself and my husband independently checked the details before we pressed the button to book and everything was correct. We have just read the confirmation that Expedia sent and the return date on it is 18 March (1 month late!). We have contacted Expedia to sort the problem, but they are just blaming us as saying there's a £100 per person admin fee to make an amendment (there's 4 of us). We can't afford this, it's the price of another person on the flights! Can they do this? This holiday is turning into a bloomin nightmare! Any advice appreciated. Tx
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Nov 17, 4:16 PM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 8,806 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:16 PM
    Can they do this?
    Yes, they can.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Nov 17, 4:16 PM
    • 18,293 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    richardw
    Which flight is on the 18th March?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 11th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    • 4,682 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    Dubai to Birmingham?
    travelover
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    Unless you can prove Expedias automated systems changed the date (which would be extremely unusual) then you are stuck paying any charges that are levied. £100 is cheap for amendments. The fees are governed by the fare rules of your ticket and any charges Expedia may make of their own.
    • Moomin Bear
    • By Moomin Bear 11th Nov 17, 6:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Moomin Bear
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:52 PM
    Yes it was Dubai to Birmingham on the 18th. And it's £100 per person, so £400 altogether which quite honestly I can't afford! God knows what I'll do
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    Yes it was Dubai to Birmingham on the 18th. And it's £100 per person, so £400 altogether which quite honestly I can't afford! God knows what I'll do
    Originally posted by Moomin Bear
    Then you might want to review your holiday plans altogether. How much is it to cancel the tickets (if possible at all)?
    • Moomin Bear
    • By Moomin Bear 11th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Moomin Bear
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:14 PM
    I'm looking in to it. I did check if it was cheaper to just book another flight home, but alas not. I feel like cancelling the lot if I can and will rebook with a company who looks after their customers :-/
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 11th Nov 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:47 PM
    The tickets going to be non refundable. Refundable tickets are very expensive.

Why book with a company at all? In the grand scheme of things Expedia are one of the best OTAs, but what is wrong with booking direct with the airline, which is what is always recommended.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Nov 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    IAmWales
    The tickets going to be non refundable. Refundable tickets are very expensive.

Why book with a company at all? In the grand scheme of things Expedia are one of the best OTAs, but what is wrong with booking direct with the airline, which is what is always recommended.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Cancellable flights with Emirates are reasonable, and even their lowest fares are refundable with a fee. They're the exception to the rule in that respect.

Have you spoken to Emirates directly Moomin? They're unlikely to help as you've booked through an agent, but it's worth a call.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 11th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    Blue264
    ...and will rebook with a company who looks after their customers :-/
    The amendment fee is charged by the airline, though there may be a small additional charge made by Expedia. Unfortunately, someone must pay the airline's charges, and as it was your error, then you will have to pay.

It doesn't matter if you'd booked with another agency or directly with the airline, the rules of the ticket regarding amendment fees, would be the same. Sorry.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Nov 17, 8:21 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If i remember correctly, there would be no charge if the mistake was noticed within twenty four hours.
    When did you inform them of the mistake?

Recent example on TripAdvisor;

My very current UK experience with Expedia.

For the first time in 20 years of travelling I got the return date wrong. Noticed as soon as the email confirmation came through and went into to a sweating panic (clicked on March instead of Feb). Called Expedia within 10 minutes to get the date changed . The customer service agent advised me that I was better off cancelling at no charge and rebooking a new flight, as changing dates incurs a charge.(these were non refundable flights)

He cancelled my flights and all the money was taken off the Amex hold within 48 hours. I rebooked and all is OK.

Thank you Expedia for putting my stupid (out of character) major mistake right without hassle.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7672610-o90-Expedia_Cancelling_a_flight_ticket_within_24_hours-Air_Travel.html
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    • 16,053 Posts
    • 39,912 Thanks
    FBaby
    Indeed, your responsibility lies with you being expected to check the confirmation and you have 24h normally to do so. I know that even if the mistake is spotted immediately, they can be difficult, I had that argument with Easyjet once, but in the end, they agreed to amend.

It's going to be much more difficult to expect them to do so days or weeks afterwards if you noticed later because you didn't check the confirmation.
    • Moomin Bear
    • By Moomin Bear 12th Nov 17, 9:27 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Moomin Bear
    i know, I'm gonna have to just pay it. I've tried speaking to Emirates but they won't deal with me, only Expedia. I guess really I have 2 gripes.... firstly Expedia don't make it clear at all what the restrictions on the ticket are, and 2 I don't mind paying for the amendment, but £400 for the 4 of us is surely a punitive charge. It cannot really cost them £400 to make an amendment when all 4 flights cost £1400
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    i know, I'm gonna have to just pay it. I've tried speaking to Emirates but they won't deal with me, only Expedia. I guess really I have 2 gripes.... firstly Expedia don't make it clear at all what the restrictions on the ticket are, and 2 I don't mind paying for the amendment, but £400 for the 4 of us is surely a punitive charge. It cannot really cost them £400 to make an amendment when all 4 flights cost £1400
    You claim this, but did you actually click on any Fare Conditions link during booking? I guess not.

The good news is that Expedia is not charging you anything at all for the change.

It is Emirates who is charging you £100;

• Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 12th Nov 17, 10:16 AM
    • 10,842 Posts
    • 7,073 Thanks
    Caz3121
    as part of the booking process you will see something like this before you complete the booking

Review your trip details to make sure the dates and times are correct.
    Check your spelling. Flight passenger names must match government-issued photo ID exactly.
    Review the terms of your booking:
    We understand that sometimes plans change. In case of change or cancellation, you may also need to pay us an administration fee in addition to any fee or fare difference charged by the airline.
    Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. Name changes are not allowed.
    Check with the airline for change or cancellation policy.
    Please read important information regarding airline liability limitationsOpens in a new window..
    Prices may not include baggage fees or other fees charged directly by the airline.
    Fares are not guaranteed until ticketed.
    By selecting to complete this booking I acknowledge that I have read and accept the above Rules & Restrictions, Terms of Use Opens in a new window. and Privacy Policy Opens in a new window..

you can see on the Emirates website that Emirates charge £100 for changes on a saver ticket. They do sell a Flex ticket that has no change fee but the tickets would have cost over £900 each to purchase. It does not seem that Expedia are charging any admin fee only the airline fee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,661Posts Today

6,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin