Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 462Thanks
    DaringToDream
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life!
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life! 22nd Apr 17 at 8:48 PM
    So here goes with a shiny new diary. I had one previously but seeing that i hadnít posted for years and my circumstances have massively changed (new job, new house, different (but not that new) partner), it seemed sensible to start afresh.

Iíve been a diary stalker (in a healthy way) for years, and a few of you have really helped and inspired me over the past few months. In particular- Bobarella, Louby, Poor Single Lady, Coastal Chick, Mummy2Girls- thank you!!!

I have debt, and as hard as it is admitting it myself, have been in debt since i graduated uni almost 10 years ago. This includes still being in my student overdraft (which is thankfully still interest free) which is something iím not proud of.

So i have a few debt goals to keep me focused:

Goal 1) Pay of student overdraft by end of July 2017 (10 years after i graduated!!!) This one may actually slip a bit depending on how well i do with other debts as the first £1000 is currently interest free so it makes sense to throw this money at other debts first, but paying it off is my goal, or at least reducing it before the interest free level drops to £500 at the end of July.

Goal 2) Pay off ccís

Goal 3) Save to pay off my car finance. Itís currently sitting at £11,200. I stupidly took it out on PCP and what a stupid decision - totally think this is the next misselling scandal. I paid off a lump sum thinking i could keep my monthly payments the same and just reduce my balloon payment, but apparently this isnít allowed, so of the £120 i now pay each month, £110 is interest and only £10 capital repayment , so this loan has to go ASAP. Unfortunately the balloon payment is £11000 so itíll take me a while to save this up, but i reckon if i can get close-ish i can get a 0% card or lower interest loan and pay it off and save paying so much interest. I commute a minimum of 300 miles a week though so a comfortable and reliable car is a must- just need to pay it off.

That's probably long enough for an opening post. Will post more debt details below.

DTD xx
Page 8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 8th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5,552 Posts
    • 18,022 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Great to see you back DTD.

Defo do not regret the holiday, you and DH need that time together.

Keep posting, it will keep you on track xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 8th Nov 17, 9:48 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Thanks mummytogirls! All the comments on here help so much so I need to keep posting and that will help me stay on track! Now I just need to catch up with all the diaries I've missed!!!
    Total Debt Paid: £316.12 / £16062.60 (1.96% debt gone)
    Holiday fund £1400/ £1400
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 9th Nov 17, 6:59 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Today should be a low spend day, on expenses so should only have to contribute less than £5, plus I'm saving on fuel. Have had a pretty good week, low or no spend every day, and trying to run down the freezers and cupboards now that OH has gone back.

Quiet weekend planned to catch up on sleep, cleaning and uni work. Got a busy few weeks so planning on making the most of this weekend at home!

Not long to the weekend now!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 9th Nov 17, 6:23 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Ugh so didn't quite manage my low spend day today, went £5 over my expenses budget (although did have a super yummy lunch and lots of healthy fruit), and then decided to put my nail through my tights. Couldn't get away with no tights, and couldn't go to my important meeting with a ladder down my leg (kind of obvious in black tights), so ended up having to go on a mission in an expensive part of central London for the closest place where i could grab tights quickly. Ended up spending £7 on a 3-pack of tights which is the most MSE i could manage (I was standing like a lunatic for 5mins in the tights aisle trying to work out the best value for money though, got some very funny looks . Some of them were £8 for 1 pair ).

So £12 spent all in which isn't too bad but still £7 more than i was hoping.

Having a 'healthy' dinner of cereal (all i have in and all i need after my massive lunch), and then back to London tomorrow. I have a £25 voucher from my credit card for a swanky department store known for it's fab Christmas adverts, so might pop in to the big one on oxford street on my way home and check out their Christmas department / see if i can spend it on a few nice Christmas decorations for the new house.

Done a few more prolific surveys tonight so once that credits will be able to cash out again and put that in the Christmas pressie fund. No more eBay sales but a few watchers for things ending over the weekend so fingers crossed for a few more sales.

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 10th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    The weekend is here- thank goodness!!

Bit of a spendy day today, £4 on lunch at work, £24 in supermarket on food for weekend/next week, and then £38 on christmas decorations (went in to spend my voucher and saw the most amazing ornament. So got that, 2 packs of fairy lights and 3 beautiful blown glass baubles). I know it's frivolous, but in my defence it our first Christmas in the new house, and even thought OH isn't here doesn't mean i can't make it christmassy. Because we've always been in rental/have spent Christmas with family we don't have many decorations, so we're trying to get a couple of quality little bits each year, and the ornament will come out year after year and hopefully become a bit of a tradition. Gonna go through the Christmas box this weekend, and any other wrapping etc. we need will get from £land on Sunday, otherwise will be a no spend weekend.

Work is ludicrously busy, spending on average 3 days a week in London now, so on top of already long hours i'm also commuting about 12 hours a week. We don't have paid overtime, so i'm racking up so much flexi time i probably won't need to use any annual leave at Christmas. The only benefit of the long commute means i'm spending less on fuel as i'm not driving to work so that's a positive.

I'm not sure if i ever said on here, but i quit job 2 last month, and am feeling ok about it. A bit sad because i did it for 7 years, but is a good thing, and despite the reduction in income, i wouldn't have been able to do both with work as busy as it is anyway.

Plan for this weekend:
    Clean the house
    Do an exercise class/run each day
    Catch up on laundry
    Do surveys,
    Sort out Christmas box and get any other little bits at £land.
    Look at kids toys online for when the Sains double points event is on- got £50 of nectar points so going to use some and try and get 2 x nephew plus step-sons pressies with the points.

Have a great weekend all
    DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 10th Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Forgot to say that because of a work meeting I've now had to cancel going to the Christmas lunch of a team that I support. Bit of a shame as i love working with them, but I got be £10 deposit back which is now sitting in my purse. So that's a nice little bonus that a wasn't expecting, and should more than cover all the Christmas wrapping etc that I need from £land- small wins!
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 10th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    • 5,552 Posts
    • 18,022 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Happy weekend DTD!!!

All sounding extremely busy in your life at the moment. Totally understand why you have quit job 2.

We have some really special Christmas things that come out year after year and I always love them, they never get old. We try and buy something new when we go out for Christmas days out too.

Have a great weekend! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 11th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Morning diary!

So today I am aiming for a NSD. Popping round to see some friends later so going to make some cupcakes to take with me (think I have everything I need in for a small batch). Otherwise my plan is to clean the house and try and work my way through my list. And if the TV happens to be on and I watch some rugby then so be it .

On a health kick so have gone 2 weeks today of no booze, and am trying to up my exercise levels/step count to generally be more active, so I need to do some running / walking today. Seeing as the clocks have changed, I barely see daylight now, so need to make the most at the weekend to get out and about, and hopefully this will help me lose a few pounds as well as being good for my stress levels.

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 11th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Managed my NSD today, and also got a run in so feeling good. Popped over to see some friends for a cuppa and rather than buy a cake or something to take over, I used what I had In and made a half batch of cake batter and made some cupcakes. They went down really well and not a penny spent so really pleased!

Cleaned the kitchen and did 2 loads of laundry, still not done all the cleaning I wanted to but not too bad. Going to tidy the lounge now, make some dinner and settle down to a relaxing evening and some strictly. Exercise class, more cleaning, and some uni work tomorrow. Won't be a NSD but trying to limit my spends to what I have in my wallet.

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Nov 17, 10:06 PM
    • 5,552 Posts
    • 18,022 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    All in all, a productive day for you DTD!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 12th Nov 17, 12:22 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Starting to feel like I'm maybe getting back on top of things, although I've got a really hectic few weeks coming up and I'm working away a lot so I need to enjoy the quiet while I can!

Made it to exercise class this morning, then went to the shops, to a short remembrance service, and then to the dump. Spent slightly more than I wanted (£20 rather than £10), but now I have all our Christmas wrapping stuff, plus kitchen cleaner, air freshener, foil, Santa hats and a stocking filler for step son, so not too bad. All from wilko or £land so pretty good all In all. Also saw the most beautiful decoration in the supermarket- a bronze and glass star filled with fairy lights! Is £25 but might see if it's still here when the points double up event is on later in the week, and then I can maybe justify it (it's £25 so could get it for £5 and £10 of points). Will think about it but would look beautiful on an upstairs windowsill to make the house look all festive.

Need to mow the lawn, do a bit more cleaning and then do some uni work and another job application before yoga this evening. Then gotta get geared up for the week at work- fingers crossed I hear about some job applications soon!!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 13th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So thought i was doing really well today, only £2.30 spent, decent day at work for a change, healthy tea and then straight to an exercise class. But then came home to an email from my yoga teacher saying i had somehow fallen behind in payment. Now in my defence i didn't get a reminder, but how embarrassing, and not in the budget. So had to find £70, which basically means i now have £135 for the rest of the month, plus a few work expenses to come in. With that i have to somehow do a 600 mile drive next weekend so a full tank of fuel, and also fuel and food for 2 weeks of work. So the end of the month is going to be super tight. Looking on the bright side i am now paid up with yoga til after Christmas, and also the broke-ness will mean that i have to be super mse, and focus on surveys/eb*y sales to up my income. I've got decent cupboards of food so it should be ok, it's just all the working away that makes it tricky, having to pay for things and then claim them back, but will just have to be disciplined! Grrr...

DTD xxx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 14th Nov 17, 6:58 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Another day on expenses today, so should be a Low spend day. Need to pop to ALd* after work and grab a couple of bits for next week as I'm away with work all week and need a few snacks/tins of soup etc wth me so I don't spend on lunches unnecessarily.

3 more working days this week as I'm off on Friday. Already counting down to the weekend �� Xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 14th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Fairly low spend day today. Only went £3 over expenses budget. Then popped in to Ald* on my way home and got some chicken for tea and lunch tomorrow, and also saw they had some of their amazing jo malone style reed diffusers/candles in, so picked up a few as Christmas pressies for mums/sisters In law. Will have to get them something else as I feel bad only spending £3.99 on people, even if the diffusers are lovely and look a lot more expensive.

So not too bad all in all. Also paid off the balance of the holiday today which was scary paying so much money, but nice knowing it's all paid for and now all I need to cover are some spends.

Tomorrow should be another low spend day. Going to head to Mr S after work to try and take advantage of their double points deal to get toys for the kids. Planning on trading in £20 of nectar points to swap for £40 of toy vouchers, which should cover the 2 bigger kids, and I've already got the stocking fillers covered.

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 16th Nov 17, 7:15 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So a decent day yesterday, took my own breakfast and lunch to work, managed to speak to OH, exercise class in the evening, and then went to Mr S and took advantage of their points double up so got 2 x legos for step son and nephew, a Thomas train for other nephew, and a Christmas light is been eyeing up. So £30 of points (doubled to £60) and £16 cash so not bad at all for such a good haul. Can't believe how expensive lego Is now! Still got £20 of points left to put towards Christmas food too, and that is the bulk of the xmas shopping done now!

Back in London today, team away day in the afternoon and then home for hopefully an early night before an early start to head over for a relaxing weekend at my parents house. Can't wait! Xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 16th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So a good day today, a couple of big meetings and a fun afternoon with my team doing some development meetings, plus a team lunch and a pub trip. £12 spent on lunch, but because I'm not drinking the others wouldn't let me get whole rounds when I was just drinking soft drinks so not a penny spent in the pub which is good. Home now and had dinner from the cupboard so pretty good although not the most nutritious (peppa pig spaghetti shapes anyone ).

Up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to drive up to the parents. Car is full of petrol and got some car snacks so except for a coffee (totally allowed- it's a 7 hr drive) I shouldn't have to spend much. Mum and dad have said they will pay me back for an event ticket which I have given to my little bro. Normally I wouldn't let them but given that the ticket was £65 and it is the end of the month and I am broke, I think I'll accept a little bit, although maybe not the full amount. I love being able to treat people, especially my family, but that's partly what's got me in this mess to begin with!

Should be a nice weekend though and a good relax. Really looking forward to some girl time with my mum too. Next week is busy away with work all week. I've got accommodation there but am hoping to make it home at least 1 night! Will have to pay upfront but will claim it back, and should land in my account by payday. But have to keep disciplined, with all these work expenses flying in and out it's really hard to keep a decent track of my finances!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 19th Nov 17, 9:55 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Had a great weekend with family. Spent £80 on petrol but still have half a tank left for next week. Otherwise was a pretty cheap weekend, and any other spends I made were offset by getting £40 back for an event ticket i gave to my brother. Feeling very quiet and a bit lonely now that I have come back to an empty house after such a lovely weekend away!

10 days Til payday. Will need to spend a bit this week but will be able to claim a lot of it back as on a work course. So should have the expenses in by the end of the month, and will try to put them against the cc when they come in. On the nights that I am home this week I'm going to try and eat out of the cupboard/freezer.

Shattered after my long drive so bath and bed for me, and then power through the next week. Have got another job application in so fingers crossed I will have an escape plan soon! Xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 21st Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Busy week away on a course, but made it home last night and tonight which is great. Don't think I will for the rest of the week though so must charge my kindle so I can have a relaxing evening and read tomorrow night! £18 spent yesterday on food for the week, and 70p spent today. Have done the sums for the rest of the month and it is looking very tight. I have given myself a budget of £10 for food and £25 for petrol. But it's the work expenses that I have to pay and then claim back which are killing me. Doesn't look like I'll make too much of a dent in the debt this month but it should still go down, which is good considering I've spent on pressies. Still a week to go until pay day, but I have a quiet weekend planned so fingers crossed will have a few NSD's for the rest of the week, and at least be cost neutral once I get my expenses back. No more eBay sales which is a shame as they would have been really useful moneywise at the moment!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

4,149Users online

Martin's Twitter