Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 23rd Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 8,003Posts
    • 13,914Thanks
    notanewuser
    M+S vouchers for team?
    • 23rd Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    M+S vouchers for team? 23rd Oct 17 at 7:16 PM
    I should preface this by saying I don't really do Xmas. But I changed jobs in August and now have a team of 6 under me. They're a fab bunch with very different tastes (2 in their 40s, 3 in their 50s and 1 in their 20s). Theyre quite into Xmas, so I'm thinking I should probably get them something.

Would a £10 m+s voucher be really naff? I'm thinking they can get something in the sales or a nice lunch/meal deal for 2 with it. Any thoughts?
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
Page 1
    • notanewuser
    • By notanewuser 23rd Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 8,003 Posts
    • 13,914 Thanks
    notanewuser
    That's a voucher each, not to share!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 23rd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 2,807 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 23rd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 23rd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    I'd be pleased to receive an M&S voucher from my boss.

They can spend it on food, clothes, toiletries or homewares, so it suits all tastes - they can even "free up" the cash equivalent by buying food and then spending the £10 elsewhere, so I can't see anyone would mind.

Unless you're going down the time-consuming route of choosing six similarly-priced individual presents (and maybe you don't know them well enough yet anyway), a voucher is a good way to go, especially if it's on a card and they can spend it over time (rather than a paper voucher).
    • Janey3
    • By Janey3 25th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Janey3
    • 25th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    • 25th Oct 17, 10:42 PM
    I'd also appreciate being gifted an m&s voucher too. Amazon vouchers to use online are popular too.
    • zanuda
    • By zanuda 28th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    zanuda
    • 28th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 28th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    It was an article somewhere like times, they did some investigation and found that more then 60% vouchers ended up not used. Some forgotten before expiration date, some - because the receiver doesn't normally shop there. Think about it. On the other hand if your M&S has food department, go for it.

Another thing you might consider - host some kind of event, and offer your team a choice, like going bowling, going to good restaurant, skating with refreshments after, if you have it locally. See what comes out of it. Bowling is relatively cheap, so you could even do it a "bring your family" event.
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 29th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    • 29th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 29th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    I'd be happy to receive such a voucher. I have been in small teams where the manager has bought us something at Christmas; gifts have ranged from chocolates to wine (don't drink the stuff) and m&s biscuits (these are good to get as not something I would buy for myself full price). M&s do promotions on the biscuits in the run up to Christmas .... There are some on at the moment Nd they last until new year.

What a thoughtful boss .... any vacancies?
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 11th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    dragonlily
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    I think I might do the same for my team this year
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 11th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Peter999
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    I think it's a nice thought. I'd be happy with a £10 M&S voucher from my boss - and I'd spend it on a meal for two.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

6,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin