Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 23rd Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 220Thanks
    LadyP01
    £16,000 debt, turning regret into positive action.
    • 23rd Apr 17, 10:10 PM
    £16,000 debt, turning regret into positive action. 23rd Apr 17 at 10:10 PM
    So here i finally am, writting my debt free journey out for you all to read.
    I had my LBM back in febuary when i finally relised that my attempts to be debt free were failing me. I had just purchased alot of holidays and spent alot of money redecorating, i soon relised i was undoing all my hard work.

When i relised something needed to be done this was my financial situation:
    Loan - £10,000 - only had £800 paid off
    Credit card 1. -£2,900
    Credit card 2 - £2,600
    Overdraft - £40

I decided to get a loan total out of £16,000 this was obviously a little more then i needed but i put i decided to borrow more to start an emergency fund from day 1 so that i avoided having to borrow on credit again.
    I cut off my overdraft so that is gone, so now i just have a £16,000 loan!!!!!!!

This is now technicly my second month moving into my third month of debt busting and so far im really pleased with how hard iv worked. Iv decided to use a savings account to hold all my savings till september with the hopes of having £10,000 to make a dent in that loan on a repayment. Then i can pay off the final £6000 on a 0% credit card and continue paying it off interest free.
    My progress so far in my savings account is: £5,645.60

I have a long way to go!!!! But i feel i have been doing some massive savings already to knock away my debt. I really want to be debt free in 2018 and im desperate to make this happen.

I will do a spendings break down on here later i forget what you call it to show how im spending my money. Iv been coming up with lots of ideas to save myself money and get back into the black.

Thank you for reading, hope i didnt go on to much... Need to keep this motivation going

Quick update:
    Its now June and i have officially brought my debt total down to £9428

Keeping motivated
    Last edited by LadyP01; 03-06-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Update
Page 6
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Nov 17, 11:14 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Progress! Well done for another chunk off the debt: keep your eyes open for those bargains!
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 11th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    LadyP01
    Coming to the end of the week and Iv achieved so much.

Christmas update:
    I have 3 people left to buy for two of them itís just stocking fillers so nice and easy and one of them is a gift for a max of £20 but Iím looking for offers.
    I did start getting carried away as I was out and getting swayed by all the pretty stuff but I have sat down and put it all on paper and I donít need to get a few of the extra things I was wanting to get. Yes it would be nice and yes they would love them but they already have good presents from me and they will also get loads of gifts anyway so sticking to budget.
    I have £120 left to get the last few bits so Im on track.

Relooked at my money for the month and again on track but I do need to be careful about overspending this week. Iíll talk to my oh about paying half each for everything rather then taking it in turns so we both feel the value of the money. Eating at home as much as possible is also needed to save the money.

Overall Iv had a good week, feeling very organised, refreshed and on budget.
    Last edited by LadyP01; 11-11-2017 at 5:52 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You're doing a superb job! I'm not nearly so far ahead with Christmas (and I reckon the shops go over the top with tinsel and glittery stuff as we get closer, to make us think that what were great presents bought early, aren't nearly bling enough. It kind of throws my judgement out of kilter, seeing how much more sparkly things gets compared to what I've bought) !

Eating at home/taking pack ups is definitely the way to save money.
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 12th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    LadyP01
    I know what you mean! You find the perfect gifts and because you have already seen them there not as special or as new to you as that luxury looking item that looks more luxury because of the Christmas packaging they have popped it into or like you say the lights and decorations.

Once I’m done with this years Christmas items I’m going to make a list of everyone’s birthdays that I need to buy for and get everything online in the sales so it’s done. Iv already started taking pictures of items to keep an eye out for. There’s a lot more gift items at Christmas so that’s perfect for birthdays and again get them wrapped and sorted so there’s no panic on the lead up to someone’s birthday. Kids especially I can get toys for them in this years sale that are ages appropriate and have them ready and waiting.

Today’s a day off from the Christmas and saving organisation. Just a spend free day with the oh enjoying our Sunday together... magic and relaxing hope everyone else’s day is as good
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 12th Nov 17, 8:37 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    LadyP01
    As I was getting ready this morning it dawned on me the little changes that I started making in feb that have saved me a fortune over the months.

First change I made was to switch from baby oil to body lotion. Not due to price of consumption but because I had loads of body lotions from Christmas that never get used so I focused on using them everyday instead. I still have the baby oil left that I had all those months ago and Iíll use that now itís getting colder and then back to body lotion once itís gone. I used to get new baby oil monthly.

Another save is shampoo and conditioner. I purchased me second lot this month. I mix up high end brands with the cheap £1 bottles and always use one high end with one cheapnin rotation. This has actually improved my hair quality aswell as saving me money. The only issue is the £1 shampoo doesnít keep hair clean for longer then a day so if I know I need my hair to last longer Iíll use the premium stuff. I also use the £1 hair mask once a month and this also does wonders for my hair and that one pot has lasted this whole time.

Body wash... I use everything up from Christmas, gift sets keep me going all year and Iím very thankful for them. I donít really have baths unless Iím really cold or need to relax so I use the bath stuff as shaving cream, quick mix with water and itís perfect for legs.

Perfume... i had lots of perfumes that I hardly used. Since starting this journey I decided not to waste anything so Iv been using them up. Iv now been on the look out for cheaper perfumes that smell great and with some great success, I have put lots of perfumes from £6-£15 on my list making perfect stocking fillers and cheap gifts for people to get me and they will see me through the year.

Petrol... filling up little and often has given me a saving and I can push my tank an extra few days if I really think about it.

Eating out... i have a discount card for restaurants which I coudnt get rid of but it has seen me save over the year. Equally I use online vouchers a lot as thereís always an offer on somewhere. Canít stay in all the time.

Gifts: I have used charity shops heavily this year and I am so pleased with my thoughtful presents. My best Christmas present cost 80p for one person and I canít wait to give them it as itís perfect for them. I check the quality of everything and a lot of items are in such great conditions. Iím wondering if we will see a spike in gift items on eBay and local sites from unwanted Christmas presents as that would be handy for some saving items.

I just wanted to jot down some of my saving items as it really got me thinking today how I used to spend money to how I do now.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Nov 17, 9:55 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm another who uses up gift body lotions all year! Some are so gorgeous that I save them for just before bed so I go to sleep with the nice smell and don't have to wash it off five minutes later because of some need for clean hands that I'd forgotten about.

When you say about shampoos and conditioners, am I right thinking you taking it in turns to use the cheap then the 'posh' one? I've just got a £1 Argan oil shampoo to try because the more expensive one isn't leaving my hair in particularly good condition, and Argan oil has suited me in the past. I wonder if the cheaper shampoo just does the basic job (so needs to be used more often but because it's gentler it isn't so hard on your hair?

I too bought a Christmas present in a charity shop the other day. A cruet set in some antique china that this person collects - all of £2.99. I've started to go to charity shops again but it could be too much temptation.

You must have saved a fair amount with all those things you haven't had to buy!
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 12th Nov 17, 9:59 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    LadyP01
    Hey cherry fudge, yh it’s just as good as the other stuff I just find after a day my hair is greasy not massively but to much for me so I need to wash it. I use the Argan oil shampoo and the deep conditioning as the cheap ones and they are good they should work well for you.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Nov 17, 10:41 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Excellent - I'm looking forward to trying it! Still have plenty of Argan oil conditioner but I see that's in the £ shop too.
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 18th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    LadyP01
    Back after a week. I have £35 left in my bank account? Not sure if that’s on track or not at first glance although I feel it might be. Update on that tomorrow.

Lots of Christmas presents arrived by post this week so wrapping will commence this weekend.
    I also found a few stocking fillers I was looking for at massively discounted prices.

Had a lot of spends this week... third hair cut of the YEAR usually I have around 7/8 cuts a year but this year Iv got that down to 3! Iv let it grow out and do some different looks with it until it becomes unmanageable and then got it cut. Let’s see if I can push my next cut till March?

Lots of spends on parking, cinema, food and drink this week although we have choose cheaper options where possible and eaten in where we can.

Hope your all having a good weekend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter