Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 2nd Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 56Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep my free pair of shoes?
    • 2nd Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep my free pair of shoes? 2nd Nov 17 at 1:18 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I ordered some shoes online, but realised they wouldn’t arrive in time for my holiday. I decided to buy another pair in store and cancelled my online order – I got a refund but the delivery still turned up. Should I ask the company if they want the shoes back?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 3
    • PegasusPJ
    • By PegasusPJ 8th Nov 17, 10:21 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    PegasusPJ
    Couple of years ago I ordered books for xmas presents from Amazon. They failed repeatedly to deliver (yodel: ( ) and then couldn't find the parcel so sent another.
    A few weeks later, after xmas, the original parcel turned up, damaged and missing 1 item.
    I offered to return it but they told me to keep it.

If you get a refund or they sent a replacement, the right thing is to offer to return.
    • yorkie22
    • By yorkie22 9th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    yorkie22
    Shoe return
    You should contact the company, this gives them the chance to decide what to do. Possibly they will send you a free post returns sticker to return them ( though most enclose one with the item any way ). If your VERY lucky they may say keep them.
    • mwf862
    • By mwf862 9th Nov 17, 1:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mwf862
    Really?!?!
    I don’t believe you have to ask this - go have a word with yourself, will you!!! REALLY!!!?
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 9th Nov 17, 2:07 PM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    paulfoel
    My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't bother to return them. If they don't get in touch asking for them then clearly they don't notice it and it makes no difference to them.
    Originally posted by Greveson
    A lot of people on this forum like to act like they are saints....
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 9th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Originally posted by paulfoel

If more people acted like saints, there would be a lot less trouble in the world, and yet somehow I feel you are criticising. If you mean 'pretend they are saints' - that is different.

I was brought up with a conscience - if I do the wrong thing I feel guilty, so generally I don't. Because I'm human, and not saintly, I occasionally get it wrong, and my conscience troubles me for quite a while.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 10th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    No you cannot legally keep them.

There have been laws passed on this!

You have to notify the company that you have received the shoes and ask for them to arrange collection or what ever the companies procedure for returning goods is - if you phone, make a note of the date and time you rang, the telephone number you used and the name of the person you spoke to. If sending email - keep it so you have proof.

If the company don't contact you within a reasonable amount of time - 6 months, you can legally keep the goods.

So don't break the law - contact the company involved.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 11th Nov 17, 6:12 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    JayD
    You actually need to ask?

Well, if you don't want to be considered a thief - YES arrange to send them back!
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Nov 17, 11:56 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Originally posted by paulfoel

Being honest is not "acting like a saint", it's just normal behaviour for most people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

6,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin