Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zither
    • By Zither 9th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 269Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Zither
    Typical cost to install garden fence
    • 9th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    Typical cost to install garden fence 9th Nov 17 at 1:28 PM
    Afternoon,

I want to replace the fence between me any my neighbourís house. Iím just interested in a simple 5 or 6 ft closed board fence (the type with a little cm gap between each board). Wooden fence posts should be fine.

I havenít measure it exactly but I think Iím looking at about 10 meters of fence.

So Iím just after a ballpark figure to see what I can afford....

1) is the old average of around £50 per 6 feet/2 meters still true? So Iíd be looking at about £500 for the fence (labour and materials)? I live in the north of England.

2) I could probably build the fence myself but Iím not sure Iím interested enough to do it so should I hire either a) a fencing company or b) just a local handyman to come and install?

Thanks a lot

Z
Page 1
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 9th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 9th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    Comments from the south of England also welcomed..
    • Zither
    • By Zither 9th Nov 17, 2:16 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    • 9th Nov 17, 2:16 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 2:16 PM
    Comments from the south of England also welcomed..
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Comments welcome from all over! Just mentioned the north as everything in the south seems to cost hundreds more
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 9th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 9th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 3:06 PM
    For a decent quality close board panel, concrete posts and gravel boards I think you’re looking closer to £40-50 per bay in materials and here in Essex based on the quotes I had when we had ours replaced, around £60-70 per bay in labour, so a minimum of £100 per bay.

We had 16 and a half bays replaced between my neighbour and I, plus a small corner return to the back of my garage at the end and a small infill panel at the house end, for just over £2000.

The extra cost in our case was due to the labour involved in removing part of our old fence, half of which was panels fixed to scaffold poles set in concrete sitting on a dwarf wall plus the extra waste removal. The poles had to be cut out and some of the dwarf wall footings excavated.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 9th Nov 17, 6:18 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:18 PM
    For a decent quality close board panel, concrete posts and gravel boards I think youíre looking closer to £40-50 per bay in materials and here in Essex based on the quotes I had when we had ours replaced, around £60-70 per bay in labour, so a minimum of £100 per bay.

We had 16 and a half bays replaced between my neighbour and I, plus a small corner return to the back of my garage at the end and a small infill panel at the house end, for just over £2000.

The extra cost in our case was due to the labour involved in removing part of our old fence, half of which was panels fixed to scaffold poles set in concrete sitting on a dwarf wall plus the extra waste removal. The poles had to be cut out and some of the dwarf wall footings excavated.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Thanks for the info. Wow so expensive isnít it... Iím hoping for a price nearer £500! Otherwise I might have to learn how to fence quite quickly!! Iím hoping the cost of basic treated timer and labour is a little bit cheaper up north...
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 9th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    Comments welcome from all over! Just mentioned the north as everything in the south seems to cost hundreds more
    Originally posted by Zither
    Tell me about it!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 9th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    Get a few quotes from local fencing companies,do not always go for the cheapest.Without going into detail where in the North do you live ( i might have a contact for you )
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Zither
    • By Zither 9th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    Tell me about it!
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    At least you get some of it back in infinitely better infrastructure - so not all bad!
    • Zither
    • By Zither 9th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 9th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    Get a few quotes from local fencing companies,do not always go for the cheapest.Without going into detail where in the North do you live ( i might have a contact for you )
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Not far from your neck of the woods! Totally understand not going for the cheapest - No problem paying for good work - just more hoping for nearer £500 than 1k!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 9th Nov 17, 7:56 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Ganga
    Not far from your neck of the woods! Totally understand not going for the cheapest - No problem paying for good work - just more hoping for nearer £500 than 1k!
    Send me a private message and i will give you a phone number for a reputable fencing contractor that is reasonable.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Nov 17, 7:42 AM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    You could expect 300 materials and two man-days labour, so maybe 700 plus profit and vat.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 10th Nov 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    no1catman
    We moved house in Mar '07, shortly afterwards, had fence panels installed - eight and a half of them.
    I remember at the time it was suggested to have 'feather-edge' but being a 'tight-so-and-so' stuck to the panels.
    It didn't take that long before ever high wind storm, would blow down a panel, and later, a post as well.
    Storm Imogen 2016 was the final straw, when three panels and two posts came adrift!
    So, when it came to re-fencing, had the whole run re-done as per feather-edge. Glad I did too.
    High winds have come and gone, but it's held firm.

So, price as well, for a feather-edge option, and how much to replace a damaged (in the future) panel.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Nov 17, 9:43 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    sevenhills
    http://www.bradfordbrothers.co.uk/about-1-w.asp

I have seen the above company do some good work, most companies keep their full prices a secret until you get a quote.

• Zither
    • By Zither 11th Nov 17, 10:44 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    We moved house in Mar '07, shortly afterwards, had fence panels installed - eight and a half of them.
    I remember at the time it was suggested to have 'feather-edge' but being a 'tight-so-and-so' stuck to the panels.
    It didn't take that long before ever high wind storm, would blow down a panel, and later, a post as well.
    Storm Imogen 2016 was the final straw, when three panels and two posts came adrift!
    So, when it came to re-fencing, had the whole run re-done as per feather-edge. Glad I did too.
    High winds have come and gone, but it's held firm.

So, price as well, for a feather-edge option, and how much to replace a damaged (in the future) panel.
    Originally posted by no1catman
    I agree - it's quite windy where round I live so I'd be going with feather edging type fence too Actually, I don't think I know what the fence type is called - it's just really simple - and looks like this:

http://www.timberfence.com/images/6%20foot%20fence.jpg

What's this called?

Agree though - full panels are out of the equation. Thanks!
    • Zither
    • By Zither 11th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    http://www.bradfordbrothers.co.uk/about-1-w.asp

I have seen the above company do some good work, most companies keep their full prices a secret until you get a quote.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Thanks v much. Unfortunately a little bit out of my area.

Garden fences seem to be one of the hardest things to get a feel for price-wise. As with the helpful responses above it doesn't even feel like there's a 'this will cost you approx £50-100 per panel'. But thousands of homes must have fences built every year!!
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 11th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    no1catman
    I agree - it's quite windy where round I live so I'd be going with feather edging type fence too Actually, I don't think I know what the fence type is called - it's just really simple - and looks like this:
    http://www.timberfence.com/images/6%20foot%20fence.jpg

What's this called?
    Agree though - full panels are out of the equation. Thanks!
    I think that link is more like 'Palisade'. Try this - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/closeboard.htm
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Zither
    • By Zither 11th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    I think that link is more like 'Palisade'. Try this - http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/closeboard.htm
    Originally posted by no1catman
    Thanks v much. Yes - Palisade then is the style of fence I want - just something very simple to install between garden paths between houses. From the picture Closeboard and even feather edge might blow down!!!

Is Palisade fencing cheaper to install than closeboard/feather edge?

TY,

Z
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 11th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 24,850 Posts
    • 306,554 Thanks
    davemorton
    Im up north, and had a fence fitted last month, worked out at £10 per foot.
    It was just standard fence posts and 6ft boards.
    Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • Zither
    • By Zither 11th Nov 17, 4:37 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Zither
    Im up north, and had a fence fitted last month, worked out at £10 per foot.
    It was just standard fence posts and 6ft boards.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    Thanks Dave thatís really good. I might have just PMd you..
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Nov 17, 6:08 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Don't go out hoping for £10 a foot! You have a fence to remove, there may be access problems, there will be concrete footings for the old fence to contend with, and we've no idea what sort of fence that poster above got for that price.

Let us know what quotes you get in the end. It's a busy busy time of year for fencers and landscapers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,369Posts Today

6,498Users online

Martin's Twitter