Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 67,660Posts
    • 124,659Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 96
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Nov 17, 12:24 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    I think my local is 8 checkouts. Generally between 1-3 are open at any one time. I donít think Iíve ever seen more than 6 lanes open at Christmas.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I think mine's an 8 too but generally almost all of them are open and I try to pick a quietish time to go. I went once on a Sunday and there were queues down the aisles with all the checkouts open. Aldi is very popular round here although we only have one branch for a city of about 300, 000 within the boundary.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Nov 17, 3:32 PM
    • 23,895 Posts
    • 50,127 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    On the positive, the Lidl version of chocolate hobnobs is just the ticket with a mug of tea as the nights draw in...
    Yes, the Lidl Chocolate Oaties (HobNobs) are absolutely lush. I honestly can't tell the difference between them and the McVities ones. And about half the price. Yum!
    Originally posted by Scritti
    Aldi has come up with its own version too, I note. 55p vs 59p (Lidl) vs 60p (Tesco).

I havenít done a head to head taste test but I seem to remember not being able to stop eating the Lidl ones. I stopped eating the Aldi ones after the fifth biscuit in a row . The Tesco ones remain untasted, itís for emergencies only
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • pakokelso93
    • By pakokelso93 4th Nov 17, 11:30 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    pakokelso93
    Are the bigger Aldi's stores actually any better (not near one)? When I went to a new bigger Lidl's when opened in neighbouring town it was classy looking but literally no new products same old of everything doubled basically - seemed a bit pointless.
    PK!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Nov 17, 11:13 AM
    • 18,294 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    richardw
    What seems to happen at Aldi is some food specials seem to become regular stock, i.e. Coffee capsules. So better might be products that you bought elsewhere being stocked at Aldi or Lidl.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 5th Nov 17, 11:45 AM
    • 5,485 Posts
    • 22,939 Thanks
    Mirů
    I got a gorg Feta, spinach n pine nut pie from Aldi yesterday. It was lush
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I bought one of these after seeing your comment....agree, totally delish! However, I'm a bit confused as to if they are supposed to serve one or two people? I scoffed a whole one myself but as they are really rich i felt a bit icky afterwards. They seem a bit small to be enough for two tho???!!

Does anyone else get really annoyed with the way Aldi have mixed trays of produce containing several varieties of a product meaning you frequently have to rifle through several boxes to find the one you require? The only f, s & p pie was right at the back of the bottom box of a stack of four! The flavoured water stacks are another PITB for me as I struggle to get the only visible elderflower flavoured water out from all the peach (yuk) ones.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • glensmen
    • By glensmen 5th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    glensmen
    Have both Aldi & Lidl stopped selling the 65p packs of gnocchi / tortelloni?
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 5th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 26,016 Posts
    • 105,422 Thanks
    candygirl
    I bought one of these after seeing your comment....agree, totally delish! However, I'm a bit confused as to if they are supposed to serve one or two people? I scoffed a whole one myself but as they are really rich i felt a bit icky afterwards. They seem a bit small to be enough for two tho???!!

Does anyone else get really annoyed with the way Aldi have mixed trays of produce containing several varieties of a product meaning you frequently have to rifle through several boxes to find the one you require? The only f, s & p pie was right at the back of the bottom box of a stack of four! The flavoured water stacks are another PITB for me as I struggle to get the only visible elderflower flavoured water out from all the peach (yuk) ones.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I ate one to myself, as agree they are waaay too small for two people Looked at the cals on the box after n nearly died
    Tried the lavender, plug in air freshener this week, and am pleasantly surprised at the subtle smell. I usually hate plug ins, as they're too strong for me 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 5th Nov 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5,485 Posts
    • 22,939 Thanks
    Mirů
    I ate one to myself, as agree they are waaay too small for two people Looked at the cals on the box after n nearly died
    Tried the lavender, plug in air freshener this week, and am pleasantly surprised at the subtle smell. I usually hate plug ins, as they're too strong for me 😁
    Originally posted by candygirl

Cor blimey.....787 kcal per pie It'll deffo be half a pie from now on - with a shedload of salad!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Does anyone else get really annoyed with the way Aldi have mixed trays of produce containing several varieties of a product meaning you frequently have to rifle through several boxes to find the one you require?
    Originally posted by Mir!

Definitely. I think it's something to do with it being easier/cheaper for them to do it that way. I frequently end up tidying the trays of cottage cheese while I'm searching through for the natural flavour. What's not just irritating but positively dangerous is the way the mixers are ...mixed! The slimline tonic goes long before the full fat or the soda water so people are straining themselves to lift the top layer up and making the fixture unstable by prising them out from underneath. I always call an assistant to help me. They do it willingly and invariably tell me that it keeps happening!

Are the bigger Aldi's stores actually any better (not near one)? When I went to a new bigger Lidl's when opened in neighbouring town it was classy looking but literally no new products same old of everything doubled basically - seemed a bit pointless.
    Originally posted by pakokelso93

I think that's the point. They want classy looking shops to keep attracting new customers from different social groupings. They've already increased the product range and, no doubt, that will continue.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 5th Nov 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Have both Aldi & Lidl stopped selling the 65p packs of gnocchi / tortelloni?
    Originally posted by glensmen
    No, I bought gnocchi recently.
    • devils_vixen
    • By devils_vixen 6th Nov 17, 11:41 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    devils_vixen
    Used to love Aldi's version of cheesy pasta as it tasted exactly like the kraft one. Was in the other week and I noticed the box was a different colour - ok I thought they've maybe just changed the packaging. Nope. The cheese sauce powder was white not orange and the finish item was disgusting. So won't be buying it again.
    On another note their honey clusters however are better than the leading brand.
    Big thumbs up for Lidls multipack crisps £1.92 for 24 (looks like walkers bag) they're bursting with flavour.
    I've also been buying Aldi's diluting juice as it's lovely even their summer fruits.
    My eldest seems to like their yoghurt chocolate bars - better than the nesquik ones apparently!
    I'm so happy with the majority from these two stores I've managed to reduce my weekly food shop for a family of 4 from around £80 to £35

• ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 6th Nov 17, 8:05 PM
    • 7,331 Posts
    • 13,458 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Definitely. I think it's something to do with it being easier/cheaper for them to do it that way. I frequently end up tidying the trays of cottage cheese while I'm searching through for the natural flavour. What's not just irritating but positively dangerous is the way the mixers are ...mixed! The slimline tonic goes long before the full fat or the soda water so people are straining themselves to lift the top layer up and making the fixture unstable by prising them out from underneath. I always call an assistant to help me. They do it willingly and invariably tell me that it keeps happening!

I think that's the point. They want classy looking shops to keep attracting new customers from different social groupings. They've already increased the product range and, no doubt, that will continue.
    Originally posted by maman

The mixers should not be mixed! One of these days, a customer is going to get injured with this stupid mixed case set up.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 9,411 Posts
    • 8,970 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I noticed the other day in Lidl, they have mixed cases of branded washing liquid (maybe Ariel, Bold and Daz?). A row of each brand, side by side in similar sized bottles. That's a powerful indication of the sway that L&A now have with manufacturers.

Three times the price of own brand, of course.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zugzwang
    • By zugzwang 7th Nov 17, 1:03 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    zugzwang
    Lidl's sour dough fresh pizzas are very good. Only 3 quid.

They come in a big box so I guess you'll always find them on bottom shelf of chilled section. I liked the vegetable one best, even though Im not vegetarian.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 8th Nov 17, 6:27 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    robrymond
    Our Aldi has 8 checkouts but generally only runs all 8 on Saturday and Sunday when getting through checkouts is quite quick. In the week though only 1-3 operate which is a pain as it can be as busy in the week as weekends now especially as the next store nearby is closed for a year for a rebuild.

I always feel obliged to let people past when I have a fully trolley even though I don't need too.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Nov 17, 11:30 AM
    • 18,294 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    richardw
    There's a new 10 check-out large Aldi that's recently opened, it's a different layout with fruit and veg by the main entrance, seems to have a bigger range....
    Originally posted by richardw
    BTW I went in yesterday, it does have a bigger range.
    The most significant thing is the frozen food section with freezers at eye level with doors that open like a wall kitchen cabinet above the lower chest freezers.
    A large range with things such as specially selected Argentinian large prawns, other useful items such as sliced mixed peppers and sweet potato wedges.
    Condiment items that are often above chest freezers are on shelves elsewhere.
    The ready meal range seems vast.
    There's a 'world food' section near the tinned kidney beans, with 'mushroom quinoa' kind of things.
    Generally it's a big store which will take longer to get round, but I like the new shop fittings and the generally better feel, and the frozen food big range. They are stocking more items that I used to get elsewhere, so that'll make things easier.
    Last edited by richardw; 08-11-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 18,294 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    richardw
    If you like smoked streaky bacon the Aldi Specially selected is great, not too thick, not too thin, has a Grocer sticky on it. https://www.thegrocerownlabel.co.uk/2017-winners/
    Last edited by richardw; 11-11-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Nov 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 2,016 Thanks
    robin58
    The mixers should not be mixed! One of these days, a customer is going to get injured with this stupid mixed case set up.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Too true.

I was once in Aldi and there was a guy whizzing about with disregard, a fully loaded newly delivered trayed stack of 2 ltr Cola.

I told him he should be careful because if it fell over on him, he would be dead. He looked at me in disbelief until I calculated on the spot how heavy what he was moving was. Turned out to be 2 Metric tonnes!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Scritti
    • By Scritti 12th Nov 17, 9:24 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    Scritti
    Aldi has come up with its own version too, I note. 55p vs 59p (Lidl) vs 60p (Tesco).

I havenít done a head to head taste test but I seem to remember not being able to stop eating the Lidl ones. I stopped eating the Aldi ones after the fifth biscuit in a row . The Tesco ones remain untasted, itís for emergencies only
    The Aldi ones are nice but sadly not quite as nice as the Lidl ones. Seemed a bit more bland to me but I'll need to get another pack just to make sure. Still worth it for the price though. I thought the Tesco ones were nice too, certainly well worth it for the price in comparison to a pack of the real thing.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 26,016 Posts
    • 105,422 Thanks
    candygirl
    Too true.

I was once in Aldi and there was a guy whizzing about with disregard, a fully loaded newly delivered trayed stack of 2 ltr Cola.

I told him he should be careful because if it fell over on him, he would be dead. He looked at me in disbelief until I calculated on the spot how heavy what he was moving was. Turned out to be 2 Metric tonnes!
    Originally posted by robin58
    Omg, I bet he thought you were Victor Meldrew was dangerous though I admit 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,386Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter