Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 6th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 9,311Posts
    • 13,966Thanks
    chucknorris
    Weights: cast iron or vinyl?
    • 6th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    Weights: cast iron or vinyl? 6th Nov 17 at 6:21 PM
    Are there any obvious disadvantages to vinyl weights? I know that they look a bit naff, but I'm very practical, and bench pressing 75 kg is the same exercise whether it is with vinyl or cast iron plates. But I can't help thinking that I am overlooking something, otherwise why would cast iron weights so popular? I also thought that if they are used in a room with carpet, vinyl might cause less damage, although the barbell would mainly be placed back on a bench (not the floor).
    Last edited by chucknorris; 06-11-2017 at 6:24 PM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 13,076 Posts
    • 17,294 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:05 PM
    They fetch less money when you get fed up exercising and want to get rid of them.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 6th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 7,854 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    Surely depleted uranium would have the best size to mass ratio of all and the weight of choice for Chuck Norris..?
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 7th Nov 17, 7:23 AM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 3,772 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:23 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:23 AM
    Vinyl weights are only better if you're deadlifting IMO
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 7th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 13,966 Thanks
    chucknorris
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:05 AM
    They fetch less money when you get fed up exercising and want to get rid of them.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I haven't stopped regularly exercising since I was 16 (I'm 60 in January), although the formats of exercise have changed sometimes over the years. I remember my father saying to me that I wouldn't be going out on runs when I reached 30, but I'm I still running once a week, and the only reason that I cut down from 3 times a week was because I was picking up too many injuries. Currently I do at least one power walk every day, swim and do gym classes 3 times a week, and use the exercise bike a fair bit when bad weather reduces my walking, I also do a bit of road cycling during the summer.

We are currently house hunting, our new home will have a dedicated room for a gym with weight training bench, floor mat, exercise bike and a large screen tv (using the exercise bike gets pretty boring).

I've decided to go for cast iron weights, I'll be looking at various weight training benches soon.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    • 13,076 Posts
    • 17,294 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 7th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    • 7th Nov 17, 9:37 AM
    We are currently house hunting, our new home will have a dedicated room for a gym with weight training bench, floor mat, exercise bike and a large screen tv (using the exercise bike gets pretty boring).

I've decided to go for cast iron weights, I'll be looking at various weight training benches soon.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    My remark was tongue in cheek.

We also have dedicated room for a gym. All the equipment in there, including a fairly extensive collection of iron weight plates, has been bought second hand... from people who got fed up exercising.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    Not a massive difference in terms of durability. Just dont get the plastic filled ones, they can break/crack fairly easily.
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 11th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    stephen77
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    If you own the floor. Then Vinyl is better.

Anyone else floor. Cast Iron is better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,822Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter